First time on Cunard questions and tips please

moses0

No problem. If offending a Disciple of Jobs will condemn me to operate Windows XP for all eternity at least I can do so without having to open my stateroom door.

you guys are funny;) How come my thread turned into mac/windows wars:eek:

This will be our first experience on QM2. We are all getting excited as we have been anticpating this trip for months. We are sailing 4th September from New York. There are 3 couples. Questions for all of you regulars.:) Question are in no order. No worries about dress we are all geared up for that.

1) Where do you prefer to eat breakfast?

2) Any experience of travel earlier September weather?

3) I have heard the internet is expensive and slow so will probably not use it, but are we able to text? In other words will my iPhone have signal enough to text?

4) We have a 11:15 train in Southampton to catch should we use the self disembark option. (rather not)

5) Do we need coins for laundry?

6) Do the staterooms have hairdryers?

7) At what point do they do the safety drill? Before we cast off or after? (I would like to be on deck for sail away)

Hopefully that's not too many questions. I'm sure I have forgotten something. Comes with age :)Thank you for your help. Tips and advice most welcome.

1)The restaurant paired with your room.The King'scourt on excursion days. Unless you're planning to jump overboard on the TA,I'd stick with the restaurant!

2)Weather is usually calmer at that point,but still can be quite rough.Stil, you are going on the QM2(the best ship for that)

3)It will be slow & quite pricey.

4)You should be fine.Only issues would be somekind of ship delay. Just be aware of that.

5)No it's free, but keep an eye on your laundry,many pax have very thin patience & will remove clothing from machines, if not attended.

6)Yes. Just ask your attendant for the location(usually in a drawer)

7)The drill is usually near 5PM. Cunard does take their drills more seriously than most lines. We were on the QV(in the Caribbean) when the Concordia ran aground in the Med.

Apologies again for misleading info on the "boxes" can I try and give something back by telling you that 1 of the best things I've found was going off menu at breakfast in Britannia. I always have berry plates and some other items from the QG which they have never flinched about bringing

Apologies again for misleading info on the "boxes" can I try and give something back by telling you that 1 of the best things I've found was going off menu at breakfast in Britannia. I always have berry plates and some other items from the QG which they have never flinched about bringing

thank you my wife might want to do that. Me, I love the traditional english breakfast. Although I will have to go easy to avoid gout :eek: might need the berries myself. What about Oatmeal? She loves oatmeal for breakfast.

Breakfast in the MDR takes more time than Kings Court. If you are in a time crunch (perhaps anxious to get to one of the great daytime lectures), maybe better to eat in Kings Court. On the other hand, if you are not in a hurry, enjoy the MDR.

We have crossed in September a few times. The weather has been fabulous. Warm and sunny. Calm seas. But, there no guarantees when it comes to weather.

Unless you have a Megatrain ticket, I believe you can take an earlier train with your tickets. We were told this by very helpful table mates on our first crossing. Like you, we arranged tickets in advance and wanted to allow plenty of time. We have always self-disembarked and been to the station much earlier than 11. Probably we have been there by 8:30. Taxi to station is about 10 pounds.

Soap and laundry is free. We also bring soap for hand washing and use small clothesline in the shower.

Not all safety drill locations have enough seats for everyone. If you have trouble standing, go a little earlier.

Have a wonderful voyage! Be sure to post your impressions when you return.

You will have a wonderful time!

To answer a few of your excellent questions -

There is a hairdryer in the room in a little drawer under the tv. It is fine for gents, but I found it totally fried my hair! Ours also had a musty smell that lingered on my hair. I really found that I wished I had brought my own (there are plugs in the same vicinity right there in front of the mirror next to the tv). I recommend bringing your own for the ladies in your group.

For breakfast we actually preferred the King's Court buffet. I would usually eat a boiled egg, smoked salmon, and some fruit (they have lots of cut up fruit). They also have eggs made to order, bacon, pancakes, sausages, kippers, roasted tomatoes, muesli, yogurt, cereals, porridge, toasts and pastries, and cold cuts. It's nice to eat and go because many of the activities and lectures are wonderful in the morning! (Try to get a table in one of the little alcoves by the window and look out at sea)

I also REALLY enjoyed the lattes and the frangipani pastry for breakfast one morning at Sir Samuels. My DH had one of the best donuts he has ever tasted there too. I wouldn't recommend it for a healthy breakfast, but it is nice to indulge in this quick treat if you are in a rush one morning.

Lunch and Dinner in the Brittania are excellent!

We did not like the Internet, it was extremely slow. My husband bought a 2 hour plan just to check in on a few work-related e-mails. Phone calls are cheaper on your cell phone than the room phone, and I was able to text family occasionally, but easily, for not too much money on the Maritime Network that your phone automatically connects to as you get away from shore (I believe it was $1.79 US per outgoing text and $.50 for incoming, but don't quote me on that one!)

I would also HIGHLY Recommend dining in La Piazza, one of the King's Court conversion restaurants. You can call from your room phone to find out which nights they offer it. We sat by the window and such a lovely Italian dinner, we are still talking about it!

Bon Voyage