Royal Clipper 2/13/16 Windwards

barrykel

Hi folks!

This will be our first cruise on Star Clippers; as you can see from my sig, I was very much a Windjammer fan back in the day, but since they went under it's been strictly 'foo-foo' cruises (as the Windjammer purists would say). Been meaning to try Star Clippers, but haven't gotten around to it until now.

I couldn't find another thread about this sailing; if I missed it, pls point it out to me and I'll start posting there.

Looking forward to hearing from other folks, either on this sailing or just for general advice about Star Clippers or comparisons to Windjammer.

Regards,

Barry

Oooooh,lucky you.

We have done one Clipper cruise,also to the windward isles.

We loved it.I can be a bit fussy but nothing spoiled our adventure at all.

Our favourite sea voyage,ever.We are looking at the med next year and then maybe Thailand the year after,all on Royal clipper..

One problem we had was the confusion over OBC.We had quite a large credit,used it on port tours and drinks.At the end of the cruise we were told it wasn't for drink...we had a heavy discussion with the purser and after contacting our travel agent when we got home, they eventually repaid us our money.We would have got nowhere on our own but even our agent got different stories when she phoned the main office.From that we will always get in writing what the OBC is for..

But as I said we had a wonderful Christmas cruise onboard.Didnt rate St Kitts much.The sea was surprisingly rough at times.We knew we were in for a rough sail when we returned to our cabin after dinner and the cotsides were up on the bed!!

The cabin was great,well looked after by our young girl.Food excellent,activities good and bar prices very reasonable..enjoy!

• 5 months later...
Less than a month to go, so bringing the thread to the top.

Anyone else gonna be on this sailing?

Sorry I missed this before. We will be on this cruise as the second leg of a back to back so we will have been on board a week when you join us. This will be our 7th and 8th cruise on Star Clippers - 3rd on the Royal. I think you will enjoy it. It's considerably more upscale than the old Windjammers but still very low key and relaxing.

Any immediate questions I could help with?

See you on board,

Robbie

PS just noticed you are in Kirkland. We are in Puyallup

Edited by robbie21

• 2 weeks later...

Just noticed that the islands on this itinerary feature 3 different currencies - Barbados Dollar, EC Dollar, and Euros!!!

Has anyone got any suggestions on dealing with this? The pursar's office will change money onboard, right? Is it easy to get a better rate onshore?

See you onboard,

Barry

Just noticed that the islands on this itinerary feature 3 different currencies - Barbados Dollar, EC Dollar, and Euros!!!

Has anyone got any suggestions on dealing with this? The pursar's office will change money onboard, right? Is it easy to get a better rate onshore?

See you onboard,

Barry

Barbados and EC dollar countries will almost always take US dollars, probably the Euro ones too. But, for the best rate, usually best to withdraw cash from an ATM or use a credit card.