Embarkation time

rochdalepaul

Indeed - from my reading, they are trying to change things to make boarding easier for everyone - and they are starting with Britannia as her boarding process is more of a logistical problem & too many people are (presumably) arriving too early / at the same time.

The problem is, in every forum and every group, there are the people saying - its never been a problem before, do what you want to/ always do - eventually, if everyone keeps ignoring the requests, P&O will simply go the way of Sydney and refuse entry to the terminal building if you are too early regardless of excuses.

(though what they intend to do with those of us who are late is another question altogether - wait until the very end of check-in:eek: )

and there is the problem! if people arrive late what do you do with their 'slot' at the check -in desks? With large numbers checking in they need to keep those desks occupied so if there is a 'lull' due to a number of people missing their slot they will simply bump up the next lot in the queue.

Thinking about it there is no problem for P&O anyway!. the check-in procedure processes so many people per hour and their task is to keep those desks fully occupied. If large numbers of extra people turn up early they are just added to the back of the queue using the lettered card system. Probably the problems are with car parking etc.

They could link your card colour with your check-in time, say a colour per hour. Start with the blues and as soon as the blues have empty desks start on the reds. for example: red cards with letter C and any blue cards please, etc etc:)

Peninsular club level!

I notice my check-in time is getting earlier :confused: I am meditteranean and soon to be carribbean, maybe then i will have an eleven thirty time ;)

gold, silver and bronze star cruisers go to the front of the queue as appropriate:D

What time did you arrive Presto2?

We arrived at 12 o'clock and the hall was already 2 thirds full. We were given a blue card with the letter O on and told to wait. It seemed an eternity before they started to check in 'ordinary passengers' (no offense to anyone in a Suite etc) It was way past 1.30pm when we were at the check in desk.

They didn't have a proper sound system though, just a lady with a small amplifier shouting out letters (though as I said it wasn't working) so the poor woman had to stand on tip toes waving her cards around. By the time they started to let ordinary folk on the it was standing room only.

Edited by Presto2

That is late..is that the normal time now? :eek:

I can't say' date=' that was just our experience. I wonder if they took longer to sort it all as the ship was sailing full and they had a lot of cabins to prepare before we were allowed to board? Just a thought.

They were letting people in suites on from about 12.15pm but that didn't help the situation - just caused some ill feeling being told " At the moment we are now [b']only[/b] inviting people in suites to board Britannia" I think they could have put it a little more diplomatically as most of the desks were empty and only about half a dozen people were checking in.

Oh well, I hope they come up with a better system over the coming months.

We were one of the naughty ones and turned up at 11.15am for Britannia, had planned to arrive for 1 but traffic was clear all the way. Since we had nothing to do and were so excited we just drove to the terminal. Got given a card (letter D) and took a seat, they started calling people up at 12ish and we were on board by 12.15. Original boarding time was meant to be 3 and no one checked..

We were one of the naughty ones and turned up at 11.15am for Britannia, had planned to arrive for 1 but traffic was clear all the way. Since we had nothing to do and were so excited we just drove to the terminal. Got given a card (letter D) and took a seat, they started calling people up at 12ish and we were on board by 12.15. Original boarding time was meant to be 3 and no one checked..

Hi, which cruise if you don't mind me asking.

Edited by Presto2

At the end of the day it's down to the individual.

Except it is not just the one person. It is another 2999 people ,just like him ,who mostly want to board at a time that suits THEM, rather than the cruise line.

Also I would guess Southampton council have a say in how they want arrival in the city spaced out, to ease traffic congestion.

Also I would guess Southampton council have a say in how they want arrival in the city spaced out, to ease traffic congestion.

Perhaps it was a good day, but the day we sailed the Britannia, Azura, Eclipse and a Fred ship were all in at the same time and the traffic seemed relatively calm around the City.

We arrived at 12 o'clock and the hall was already 2 thirds full. We were given a blue card with the letter O on and told to wait. It seemed an eternity before they started to check in 'ordinary passengers' (no offense to anyone in a Suite etc) It was way past 1.30pm when we were at the check in desk.

They didn't have a proper sound system though, just a lady with a small amplifier shouting out letters (though as I said it wasn't working) so the poor woman had to stand on tip toes waving her cards around. By the time they started to let ordinary folk on the it was standing room only.

And what does this tell you about it being everyone turning up when they want to.

They know how many people they can process in any given period of time. They give boarding times based on that.

Just because half the ship decides to all turn up early ,does not mean they can process more people in any given period of time.

Maybe if next time this happens p and o asked each person what boarding time they were given, and what time they actually turned up ,they could use the info to say this is why we give boarding g times.

As posted elsewhere in this thread, maybe if they allocated boarding based on the fare paid, so if you paid select,you board sooner. Now that would be a nice perk.

We have a boarding time of 1pm tomorrow for the Aradia. :)

We drive down, have lunch with friends and then we go to the ship. This time we must make sure were there before 3.30pm as this is the cut off time. :eek:

When we disembarked the Britannia in May we struggled to get picked up as there were people with cases being dropped ready to embark and this was at 11.30am. Cars and taxis couldn't park to collect passengers.

I really hate the 'I'll do what I want attitude, of some passengers.

Edited by Scorpio41
missing word

I am surprised they did not open the check-in desks on Britannia until after 12 o'clock, my experience with Ventura is the desks opening soon after 11.30 and being aboard by about 12ish :)

surely it is obvious that, on average, it is going to take 50% longer to process 3000 passengers than 2000 and even longer with 3600 :confused: therefore the bigger the ship the earlier the desks open :confused:

Aaargh :eek::eek::eek:

I am doing Sydney to Singapore on Aurora next February. The flight arrives at 10.45am and I would expect to check-in immediately after the transfer from the airport. I have no check-in time listed yet :confused:

So did we but they were really strict about only letting you even enter the port building at the time shown on your papers. There was definitely a time shown on our cruise docs which for us was 3.30 pm. Not saying this for effect but to advise of our experience. Do you have a P&O transfer as this might be treated differently? We did not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I am surprised they did not open the check-in desks on Britannia until after 12 o'clock, my experience with Ventura is the desks opening soon after 11.30 and being aboard by about 12ish :)

surely it is obvious that, on average, it is going to take 50% longer to process 3000 passengers than 2000 and even longer with 3600 :confused: therefore the bigger the ship the earlier the desks open :confused:

The problem is that they've changed the system they've used before. Is it me or did it seem to work ok in the past ? I can't remember anyone moaning about problems getting on to Britannia in the early days ?????? If it aint broken why fix it ....

So did we but they were really strict about only letting you even enter the port building at the time shown on your papers. There was definitely a time shown on our cruise docs which for us was 3.30 pm. Not saying this for effect but to advise of our experience. Do you have a P&O transfer as this might be treated differently? We did not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yes, transfers are included. all the flights are with Malaysian Airlines :eek: changing at Kaula Lumpur.

I suppose I had better start thinking about sorting out the visas and might chicken out and use the P&O recommended firm. The passport runs out next November which is 8 months after my return, should I risk it ;)

ps - I suppose the popular excursions will be oversubscribed? I think i will need to pre book for this cruise

Edited by davecttr