Price drop ?

dgballer39

Hi. We just booked our first celebrity cruise. How do price drops work (if any)? We booked under the "go big" promotion and our final payment is mid September.

Thanks

If a price reduction is posted, you can call Celebrity if booked by them or your TA and they will reduce your pride. This can be dune up to final payment date. I believe it is possible to loose certain OBC's.

Jim

I have noticed significant advantages with booking through a TA versus with Celebrity and our final payment is not until mid-September. However, we are unable take advantage as they are for double occupancy on a GTY and we have a triple. We are told that the triples are not included on most of these deals for go big or price drops etc.

Any suggestions on how to take advantage of these price drops?

Here's a link to the policy.

It boils down to repricing the entire reservation at current pricing and under current promotions being offered.

So if you booked during the all-in 123, and wanted a fare reduction that's out today, you'd lose the all-in 123 perks, and have to select among the BBB perks and pricing in effect now.

As another poster started, the other option is to seek out a higher category cabin that is priced more than your current cabin (but may have come down in price, so seems like a bargain now versus when you booked), and you can usually keep existing perks, since you are giving them more money (there are some restrictions sometimes). Key is giving them at least $1 more, it won't work if the upgrade category is lower priced than existing category.

If you booked a cruise tour, all other parts of it would need repriced too, which if hotel rates went up, and cabin fare went down, you'd likely lose out. This is more common for European bookers who like to do all-in package pricing with air, hotel and cruise.

I have noticed significant advantages with booking through a TA versus with Celebrity and our final payment is not until mid-September. However, we are unable take advantage as they are for double occupancy on a GTY and we have a triple. We are told that the triples are not included on most of these deals for go big or price drops etc.

Any suggestions on how to take advantage of these price drops?

If you are not within final payment, cancel and rebook.

Or more technically, rebook then cancel, to ensure you can grab the fare you want before you lose existing.

This assume you are in North America. Other countries have different rules relative to this technique (may forfeit deposit for example).

Thanks for the advice. Yes, we are in North america.

So, would I do a new booking with a TA first and then cancel my reservation with Celebrity after?

Yes that's what I'd do. Just be sure to do the math on things and be sure before you cancel your original, in case things change between now and then, especially if you have any perks now that may not apply with a new booking.

You could actually make your new reservation yourself on X site, do a 24 hour hold, to ensure you get the fare/cabin etc.you are looking for, then give your TA that reservation number and let them handle your payments.

Were you the poster in another thread that was questioning ability to do a GTY booking for 3? Was wondering how that worked out....as I could see how maybe they wouldn't allow a triple GTY as no guarantee that the assigned cabin could accommodate 3 - not all have a sofa bed or pullman.

If a price reduction is posted, you can call Celebrity if booked by them or your TA and they will reduce your pride. This can be dune up to final payment date. I believe it is possible to loose certain OBC's.

Jim

I was told by Celebrity UK yesterday that if the price reduces it is very much a case of tough, it will not be honoured.

Oh well

Ian

They treat UK (and other country) clients worse than those from the US or Canada. :-(

Stuart

It has to do entirely with the laws of the UK and how they vary from the US. UK has enormous consumer protections in place, that the US does not. Planning for these protections causes X to have to include for that in their fares and policies.

Also, local custom falls into place, we int eh US would scram if we couldn't get money back, the UK, people are still accustomed to deposits being nonrefundable, and haven't demanded change so companies that operate there operate according to the custom.

UK bookers can seek a US travel agent to get US perks, but will lose their UK consumer protections.

Edited by cle-guy