Viking Cruise - Future Cruise Certificates

Bike100

I am writing concerning an issue with a recent incident. My wife and I just recently returned from our first river cruise, the 15 day cruise on the Viking Modi, leaving from Budapest on July 6 and going to Amsterdam. We also purchased a pre-cruise 3 day extension in Prague, and a post-cruise 2 day extension in Amsterdam. Everything was purchased directly with Viking.

Before the above cruise, my wife and I booked a July 29, 2017 Baltic Ocean cruise to celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary.

While onboard the Modi, they offered certificates for future cruises ($100 each, good for $200 on a future cruise). The concierge on the ship "Tony" told me that it would be good for our Baltic cruise since we had not yet made the final payment. I asked this specifically several times, and was told the same each time - the certificates would be good! I purchased 2 certificates from Tony based on this information.

Now, Viking is telling me that the certificates cannot be honored for our anniversary cruise, in complete contradiction to what Tony (your Viking representative on the Modi) had told me multiple times!

I expected Viking to honor the certificates under the conditions expressed by your representative on the Modi! Maintaining good customer relations would dictate that Viking honor what the representative told me.

So far, Viking is sticking with their "fine print" and refusing to honor the certificates. I guess the customer is not their concern!

What is the "Fine Print" was it on the certificate or paperwork given to you onboard the Modi??? Or was this "fine print" not available unless searching online or some other impossible place for the average consumer confidence to find?

Dear Bike100,

Welcome home! We are sorry to hear of your experience relating to the Onboard Vouchers you purchased aboard Viking Modi. Please contact us at tellus@vikingcruises.com so that we may discuss your experience in greater detail and endeavor to resolve your concern. We look forward to hearing from you!

Best regards,

Viking Cruises

I am writing concerning an issue with a recent incident. My wife and I just recently returned from our first river cruise, the 15 day cruise on the Viking Modi, leaving from Budapest on July 6 and going to Amsterdam. We also purchased a pre-cruise 3 day extension in Prague, and a post-cruise 2 day extension in Amsterdam. Everything was purchased directly with Viking.

Before the above cruise, my wife and I booked a July 29, 2017 Baltic Ocean cruise to celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary.

While onboard the Modi, they offered certificates for future cruises ($100 each, good for $200 on a future cruise). The concierge on the ship "Tony" told me that it would be good for our Baltic cruise since we had not yet made the final payment. I asked this specifically several times, and was told the same each time - the certificates would be good! I purchased 2 certificates from Tony based on this information.

Now, Viking is telling me that the certificates cannot be honored for our anniversary cruise, in complete contradiction to what Tony (your Viking representative on the Modi) had told me multiple times!

I expected Viking to honor the certificates under the conditions expressed by your representative on the Modi! Maintaining good customer relations would dictate that Viking honor what the representative told me.

So far, Viking is sticking with their "fine print" and refusing to honor the certificates. I guess the customer is not their concern!

When I talked to Tony about this in the presence of the cruise director Tony said it was possible to use the vouchers on a booked cruise where final payment had not been made. The CD stepped in and said no, new bookings only. Apparently Tony was working from old or faulty information. He now knows the current policy. Hopefully corporate will honor what their employee told you in good faith. I sincerely believe Tony was shocked to find he had misinformed people.

We are sailing on Thursday w/Viking. I have already booked for 2016. When I booked my rep indicated that I will be receiving vouchers when departing & he indicated that we would be able to use them on the 2016 travel date. Hmmmm I will be curious as to how this pans out

• 7 months later...

Has anyone had a problem with the viking vouchers that refunded a cancelled trip not being totally applied to rescheduled cruise? We cancelled a cruise departing shortly after the Paris bombing. We had insurance but due to the late date the refund was from Viking not the insurance co (we had purchased ins the day of booking). We received full price vouchers from Viking yet after booking a new cruise and sending in the vouchers they have only reimbursed about 3/4 of the amount on the voucher. Can't find out what is going on. We were required to pay upfront for the new cruise and mail the vouchers in, which we did. Now after almost a month, we find only a portion of the voucher applied to our credit card.

Very Disappointed

When you call Viking what do they say and are there terms & conditions that came with the voucher? Did the voucher actually list an exact $$ amount on it.

Typically many policies that allow "cancel for any reason" only reimburse 75% that why I ask if your voucher actually has a dollar amount attached.

The refunded the port charges and airfare, everything but the cost of the insurance (understand that). The amount of $ was listed on the voucher so that is the amount I expect to apply. The new cruise cost us an extra $2000 anyway. Hopefully it will get resolved soon put I probably won't use Viking ever again. Unless they really impress me somehow and so far that hasn't happened.

Well at least you know you'll have a great trip once you board the boat!

Never sailed Viking but due to rafting of boats we walked thru several and they are lovely! Shared coffee & wine a couple times with Viking neighbors Rafted 6 inches from our cabin window :) that was fun too! Just knock on your neighbors window!

The refunded the port charges and airfare, everything but the cost of the insurance (understand that). The amount of $ was listed on the voucher so that is the amount I expect to apply. The new cruise cost us an extra $2000 anyway. Hopefully it will get resolved soon put I probably won't use Viking ever again. Unless they really impress me somehow and so far that hasn't happened.

So sorry for your troubles that you are having I guess one reason as to why last year Viking lost its rating with The BBB and then all of a sudden it reappeared even JVilleGal remembers that.

Viking has more issues than any other cruise line out there and yes maybe they do have some good points but have yet to find them.

Thanks for the moral support. With all the decrease in travel around Europe maybe they are taking a financial hit. Either way, the service has been slow hopefully the cruise service will be wonderful. Just trying to stay positive (as soon as I get my $$ anyway)

Dear hometown girl,

Please accept our apologies for the delayed response. We sincerely regret to learn of your disappointment.

While we are hopeful your concerns with the Future Cruise Vouchers were successfully and completely resolved, should you have any outstanding questions or wish to discuss your experience further, you are welcome to contact us directly at TellUs@vikingcruises.com.

hometown girl, we appreciate the opportunity to respond and look forward to welcoming you aboard!

Kind regards,

Viking Cruises

Has anyone had a problem with the viking vouchers that refunded a cancelled trip not being totally applied to rescheduled cruise? We cancelled a cruise departing shortly after the Paris bombing. We had insurance but due to the late date the refund was from Viking not the insurance co (we had purchased ins the day of booking). We received full price vouchers from Viking yet after booking a new cruise and sending in the vouchers they have only reimbursed about 3/4 of the amount on the voucher. Can't find out what is going on. We were required to pay upfront for the new cruise and mail the vouchers in, which we did. Now after almost a month, we find only a portion of the voucher applied to our credit card.

Very Disappointed

Dear hometown girl,

Please accept our apologies for the delayed response. We sincerely regret to learn of your disappointment.

While we are hopeful your concerns with the Future Cruise Vouchers were successfully and completely resolved, should you have any outstanding questions or wish to discuss your experience further, you are welcome to contact us directly at TellUs@vikingcruises.com.

hometown girl, we appreciate the opportunity to respond and look forward to welcoming you aboard!

Kind regards,

Viking Cruises

Our problem hasn't been fixed yet. The only answer we get is they are "working on it".

Hope this helps to point out that the problem is still on-going...