Cruiseline train to Rome?

michelle028

Hi all,

I just read this on one of the NCL Epic reviews:

"The cruise line put on a special train direct to Rome for $28. This was perfect although it is about a 20 minute walk to the station at civitavecchia so leave enough time."

Has anyone does this? Is the $28 fare return trip? Any tips or advice will be appreciated.

Will the cruise wait for you if book this train trip with them?

p.s

I was planning to buy a 12 Euro BIRG ticket but thought this might be a better? What do you think?

There are various opinions on this train; it mostly depends on what your primary objective is for the day in Rome. I'm assuming you don't want to go the route of a full-service point-to-point driver, which is very expensive.

For me, the main objective is (and always will be) spending the longest possible amount of time in Rome.

The trouble with the so-called "cruise train" is that it only makes one run. In order to maximize the number of passengers, its departure from Civitavecchia is not as early as you could leave if you take the regional train on your own. And the same holds true for the return. Some ships leave earlier than others and you may find yourself getting back to port earlier than necessary.

On the plus side for the "cruise train": you are guaranteed a seat. The regional trains to Rome from Civitavecchia are much like riding the metro or subway. There are no assigned seats and sometimes quite a few people will squeeze into a car, standing room only. It doesn't bother me, but others feel differently.

Will the cruise wait for you if you book this train through them? That depends on what you mean. If you make it onto the train in Rome and then the train is somehow delayed (uncommon), then I assume the cruise ship would wait. HOWEVER, if you happen to be late for the scheduled train departure from Rome, they will NOT hold the train for you, nor will they hold the ship if you arrive at the port under your own steam after the scheduled sailaway.

There are various opinions on this train; it mostly depends on what your primary objective is for the day in Rome. I'm assuming you don't want to go the route of a full-service point-to-point driver, which is very expensive.

For me, the main objective is (and always will be) spending the longest possible amount of time in Rome.

The trouble with the so-called "cruise train" is that it only makes one run. In order to maximize the number of passengers, its departure from Civitavecchia is not as early as you could leave if you take the regional train on your own. And the same holds true for the return. Some ships leave earlier than others and you may find yourself getting back to port earlier than necessary.

On the plus side for the "cruise train": you are guaranteed a seat. The regional trains to Rome from Civitavecchia are much like riding the metro or subway. There are no assigned seats and sometimes quite a few people will squeeze into a car, standing room only. It doesn't bother me, but others feel differently.

Will the cruise wait for you if you book this train through them? That depends on what you mean. If you make it onto the train in Rome and then the train is somehow delayed (uncommon), then I assume the cruise ship would wait. HOWEVER, if you happen to be late for the scheduled train departure from Rome, they will NOT hold the train for you, nor will they hold the ship if you arrive at the port under your own steam after the scheduled sailaway.

Hi!

Thanks so much for the detailed answers....I think I will stick with the BIRG ticket to have the flexibility!