Newcomer questions

Crownimperial

My wife and I are planning our first Oceania cruise on the Rivera. We have been long time World Cruise customers on Crystal, but want to try a new cruise experience.

This will be the Atlantic crossing in 4/16

We have booked a penthouse.

Hence we have lots of questions:

How do "free excursions" work. Can you pick any, or are only some "free"?

Is it important to make reservations in specialty restaurants before the cruise, or are they easy to get once onboard?

Outside of spa treatments and alcohol, is there anything else you have to plan to sign for?

We will think of more, but this is a starter.

Thanks

My wife and I are planning our first Oceania cruise on the Rivera. We have been long time World Cruise customers on Crystal, but want to try a new cruise experience.

My understanding some are free others you will pay for someone in the know will clarify

Is it important to make reservations in specialty restaurants before the cruise, or are they easy to get once onboard? YES at least make 1 for each restaurant in advance

Outside of spa treatments and alcohol, is there anything else you have to plan to sign for? Excursions, shop purchases, internet (if not included ) La Reserve & Privee should you choose to dine there

Thanks

You can read through the forum or use the search feature for specific questions & then you can ask for things you are still unsure of

You can read through the forum or use the search feature for specific questions & then you can ask for things you are still unsure of

You'll also need to pay for cooking classes if you choose that option. About $60-$70pp.

Is it important to make reservations in specialty restaurants before the cruise, or are they easy to get once onboard?

Outside of spa treatments and alcohol, is there anything else you have to plan to sign for?

Thanks

I definitely agree that you should make your dinner reservations in advance but we also made additional reservations once on board through our butler and we found as long as we were flexible with the dining time, and were okay to "share" with other passengers, we were never refused extra reservations. As far as extra signing, we signed for laundry service too. The mid-cruise laundry "special" is a good deal.

Thanks

I've been on two Oceania cruises, one 35-day and one 14-day, and am about to take a third, Hong Kong to Miami (70 days). In both cases I made restaurant reservations in advance to the extent that they let you, but in fact I never had a problem getting a reservation at any time while on board. I always request a "share", which I think makes a big difference. I heard some people saying they had trouble getting a table without sharing. I even walked into the restaurant at dinner time a few times and was seated, although they clearly didn't like it done that way.

Most people make reservations in advance, but everyone is guaranteed the requisite number of reservations for their sailing, so it is entirely possible to wait until you board to make your reservations. However, the earlier you make them, the better the chance to get your preferences (if any). We have often waited until the 2nd or 3rd day aboard to make our reservations, but we are likely to not get our preferred time (6:30pm) or seating (sometimes sharing, sometimes table for two). Many folks prefer sea days; that makes it easier to get our preferences on port days; we have rarely been too late returning to the ship to make the dinner time.

Finally, we often meet new friends on board and want to share dinner; if it's at a specialty restaurant we try to adjust the reservation to one mutually satisfactory. They are always willing to accommodate, space available, of course.