Did you know washing your hands is a fun thing to do?

AmazedByCruising

I'm not so sure that the video doesn't work. It would be left playing on the TV each evening by our stateroom attendant and, within days, I could not get it our of my mind. This thread has just brought it back.

It was clearly designed to become an ear worm rather than impart knowledge. To generalise, people just switch off when lectured.

Funny you mentioned that Sue, and I agree. They had the same TV video on Oasis of the Seas, and I've hummed it to myself more than once :) . If you ask me, that makes it effective.

While this is good information to put out there, I believe the first rule of advertising (which is what this is, the product is health information) is to know your audience. Royal Caribbean targets families and Celebrity targets a more, shall we say, mature market. I would resent being instructed in this manner. Talk to me like an adult and I will listen. This is a good example of a one size fits all approach does not work across all markets within a brand.

That's exactly what I meant. Only after seeing the video on Youtube again I realized there's a part about reporting being ill, euphemistically called "feeling like too many trips on a carrousel". Clearly, my travel companion and I were not paying attention at that point because I totally missed it. I can almost do a lecture about the location where we should report in what is an "unlikely event", the way to strap the lifejacket on, where the thing is and how to get a spare one, the light, the whistle, kids brought to you by crew, the alarm sound, the lights on the ground for smoke, not using the elevators. I hope I'll never have to use the information, but that part I remembered.

The information that everyone does have to use daily is brought to us like this, while it is a "quite likely event". The ship I was on currently has an outbreak, days after we left.

We did a See How It's Done Tour (:D weehoo!) and the crew is constantly reminded of important things by simple bulletpoints. "Smile, behind this door are guests", etc. I'm not an expert in these things, but my guess is that a similar sign in the restrooms "Please wash your hands for 20 seconds to make sure you and all other guests can enjoy their cruise to the fullest" would be more helpful than a one time childish video.

Edited by AmazedByCruising
some spelling, but you'll still notice I'm not native to English :)

wwcruisers, you don't think that the smoking policy (ie no smoking on verandahs, never throw any smoking materials overboard) and the save the waves (never leave anything on your verandah that might blow overboard or catch Fire) isn't related to the safety of life at sea? Maybe you need to pay closer attention next time, or have a look at the shipboard fire that was presumably started by someone throwing a lit cigarette over the side, which ignited materials below. That's all about safety at sea.