Rome Excursions/Transfer

panda24

We're sailing Epic in November and are looking at the Rome excursions/transfer options. Has anyone done the excursion that goes to the Vatican? If so, does the excursion include the Sistine Chapel?

We have onboard credit and it makes the excursion about the same price as a private transfer and ticket entries.

We are doing a private transfer to board. Since our flight is early morning, we're looking to do the Coluseum and the Catacombs prior to arriving in Civitavecchia. I'd love any advice on doing the Catacombs and the Coluseum independently and suggestions on a transfer company that would add that into our transfer.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Has anyone done the excursion that goes to the Vatican? If so, does the excursion include the Sistine Chapel?

Do they offer excursions for disembarking passengers? (Or are you B2B-ing?) Anyway, the tour description should mention the Sistine Chapel if it is included (and it most likely is). Or if it says "Vatican Museum", the Sistine Chapel is in there. What is the exact name of the excursion you are looking at?

We're looking at the Highlights of Rome.

Begin your exploration of the 'Eternal City' with an outside visit of the Arch of Constantine and the Colosseum – Imperial Rome's symbol of power. You'll drive past the Roman Forum, Piazza Venezia, Marcello Theatre, and Circo Massimo to the Trevi Fountain - which is currently under restoration.

You'll have some free time for lunch before rejoining your coach to head towards St. Peter's Square. Here you'll visit the Basilica, which can hold up to 300,000 people. After your visit, you'll be transferred to your Norwegian Cruise Line program hotel or the airport for your departure.

We're disembarking in Civitavecchia, but flying out the day after the cruise. Granted we aren't staying at the hotel recommended by NCL.

We're disembarking in Civitavecchia, but flying out the day after the cruise. Granted we aren't staying at the hotel recommended by NCL.

We were posting at the same time! This is exactly my situation as well. I chose to stay near the airport, so I'm going to have the excursion drop me at the airport and take a shuttle to my hotel. I'll let you know how it goes!

You'll have some free time for lunch before rejoining your coach to head towards St. Peter's Square. Here you'll visit the Basilica, which can hold up to 300,000 people. After your visit, you'll be transferred to your Norwegian Cruise Line program hotel or the airport for your departure.
In that case, you are only going to visit St. Peter's, not the Vatican Museums. So you will not see the Sistine Chapel on this tour.

I guess that means we'll be looking at another option. The other excursion for disembarking guests gives you free time. Do you think we'd have time to do the Coluseum in two hours?

Two hours is enough for the Colosseum, but the ticket also includes entry to the Forum and the Palatine Hill, which are worth a walk through.

The Scenic Rome & Transfer excursion frankly seems like a rip-off to me. Especially since you are not staying at the NCL hotel, so who knows where they will drop you off at the end of the tour. If you book a private transfer on disembarkation morning from the ship directly to your hotel (to drop off your bags), you will have the whole rest of the day to explore Rome and the Vatican at your leisure, and this will cost a whole lot less. You can use your OBC to pay for an NCL excursion in one of the other ports during your cruise, when you will be under more time pressure to do everything and get back to the ship.

The basilica and sistene chapel are 2 different things. I'm betting you don't get in.

Personally I don't think it's a big loss. I was bored in the Vatican museum. It took 2 hours to find my way out. How many statues can you look at?

I was fascinated that the Pope owns a mummy, however.

Edited by BamaVol

The basilica and sistene chapel are 2 different things. I'm betting you don't get in.

Personally I don't think it's a big loss. I was bored in the Vatican museum. It took 2 hours to find my way out. How many statues can you look at?

I was fascinated that the Pope owns a mummy, however.

I second this. I was bored with the museums too. And you HAVE to walk thru the museum to see the Sistine. It was crowded and hot and I was not happy. I wished I had done just about ANYTHING else that day. The Vatican might mean a lot more if its something that means something to you (ie. You're Catholic). I would gladly have spent extra time in the Colloseum and Forum/Palatine hill which were much more interesting.

We did the Vatican Museum tour that includes the Sistine Chapel and St.Peter's Basilica. We used City Wonders Tours. Excellent guide. We had headsets so we were able to learn about what we were looking at. Fabulous artwork. I did some prep work prior to going. We enjoyed the tour but I guess it's not everyone's cup of tea.