It's the little things that count :)

cruzn buckeye

So after reading the thread about compensation for complaints.. hmmm

I thought about this...

Carnival has always been great to me.. I absolutely love cruising with them, although there are a few things I would like to see changed. Such as making all aft pools adults only. I also don't understand why they keep adding the American table when there are so many complaints. I can get that at home. I do see some very good changes happening which i have asked for , for a long time, regarding music! I am so excited about my next cruise coming up on the Breeze!

Anyway... that aside, i wanted to start a thread about good things that Carnival and their staff, have done for you. It can be something big... or something not so big, that meant a lot to you, that made you get a special feeling...

For instance, on my cruise with my daughter, we were enjoying some new drinks... I had a choclate mocha getaway... well... i had already had a few... and somehow, while sitting at a table in Promenade deck, listening to the band, I managed to drop mine...it was full.. hadnt had my first sip:D What a mess I made.. I was going to clean it up... but a very kind bar server rushed over and cleaned up my mess without asking... and within a minute he was back with a brand new drink! No charge.. just a big smile and thank you for sailing with us :D:D

So... what special thing has Carnival for you while you were cruising...

sometimes... It's just the little things... :D:D

Edited by cruzn buckeye

Same here- Staff have ALWAYS gone out of their way to make my trips extra enjoyable. Many, many instances. The one that comes to mind 1st. A few years ago was cruising with my twins (then age 12) over Halloween. I had brought a bunch of 1 inch plastic spiders and attached them to the walls and mirrors. The stewards had so much fun with it. They found some yellow caution tape and 'quarantined' the cabin. Said the kids couldn't go in because it was very "infusted" (infested). Really played it up. Those spiders turned up everywhere- in our beds, in the shower (that one really scared me) and in our shoes. So much fun. They wanted to borrow them to play jokes on the crew.

Just 2 weeks ago they ended up switching our cabin after 1 night due to noise. A big upgrade on a sold-out ship (someone must have missed the ship). I didn't ASK for that- they offered.

Above and beyond.

So after reading the thread about compensation for complaints.. hmmm

I thought about this...

Carnival has always been great to me.. I absolutely love cruising with them, although there are a few things I would like to see changed. Such as making all aft pools adults only. I also don't understand why they keep adding the American table when there are so many complaints. I can get that at home. I do see some very good changes happening which i have asked for , for a long time, regarding music! I am so excited about my next cruise coming up on the Breeze!

Anyway... that aside, i wanted to start a thread about good things that Carnival and their staff, have done for you. It can be something big... or something not so big, that meant a lot to you, that made you get a special feeling...

For instance, on my cruise with my daughter, we were enjoying some new drinks... I had a choclate mocha getaway... well... i had already had a few... and somehow, while sitting at a table in Promenade deck, listening to the band, I managed to drop mine...it was full.. hadnt had my first sip:D What a mess I made.. I was going to clean it up... but a very kind bar server rushed over and cleaned up my mess without asking... and within a minute he was back with a brand new drink! No charge.. just a big smile and thank you for sailing with us :D:D

So... what special thing has Carnival for you while you were cruising...

sometimes... It's just the little things... :D:D

That's just it. It used to be the little things; all those extras you just don't expect, that used to add to the total cruise experience. And as silly as it seemed, all those things just added up. "I never expected <till in the blank>.

I still remember coming back from my first cruise with a myriad of them, and the stories that accompanied them.

Then over the years watching them slowly removed, reinforced by people saying "well I didn't "use" that anyway". And watched more and more things removed, with people defending these eliminations, that we are now expect and get nothing. All those little extras are gone. And yes, none of them were meaningful, but all added up to a total experience. Sad that only those that cruised through the 90's got to experience it. Personalized experience disappeared once the mega ships came along.

I love the spiders!

On our last cruise my Mom fell about 6 weeks before and cracked her pelvis. Nothing they can do, so she took her wheelchair and we went. It was harder for us at the Lido for breakfast, but she loved eating up there. Our waiter from dinner saw us the second morning and came to help. Every morning after that he looked for us and was quick to come and get Mom and push her though the line and go and get her coffee for her, etc. He was fantastic! We never asked for the help, but he looked for us each morning to assist.

Needless to say, he got a fantastic extra tip at the end of the cruise. I know they are there to help, but I also know how busy they are and wouldn't have asked for help.

That's just it. It used to be the little things; all those extras you just don't expect, that used to add to the total cruise experience. And as silly as it seemed, all those things just added up. "I never expected <till in the blank>.

I still remember coming back from my first cruise with a myriad of them, and the stories that accompanied them.

Then over the years watching them slowly removed, reinforced by people saying "well I didn't "use" that anyway". And watched more and more things removed, with people defending these eliminations, that we are now expect and get nothing. All those little extras are gone. And yes, none of them were meaningful, but all added up to a total experience. Sad that only those that cruised through the 90's got to experience it. Personalized experience disappeared once the mega ships came along.

This thread isn't meant to be about things "being removed" or changes made. Please don't turn this thread into a complaint thread...it is about those special moments or things that were done... even if just a smile at the right time.. that made you feel good inside...:) I am sure you have had many also:)

In the famous words of forest gump 'that's all i have to say about that":D

I love the spiders!

On our last cruise my Mom fell about 6 weeks before and cracked her pelvis. Nothing they can do, so she took her wheelchair and we went. It was harder for us at the Lido for breakfast, but she loved eating up there. Our waiter from dinner saw us the second morning and came to help. Every morning after that he looked for us and was quick to come and get Mom and push her though the line and go and get her coffee for her, etc. He was fantastic! We never asked for the help, but he looked for us each morning to assist.

Needless to say, he got a fantastic extra tip at the end of the cruise. I know they are there to help, but I also know how busy they are and wouldn't have asked for help.

That was very nice. They are so busy and have to do so much and are watched by the supervisors. I hope that you also put in a good word (great words) if you received an e-mail questionnaire after the cruise. Very nice :)

Haha...cruise critic. That didn't take long to get negative comment in a "happy story" thread.

Our most recent cruise the room steward with the towel animals made my wife and kids very happy. He made something different and ones we had never seen. And the waiter who always had glasses of chocolate milk ready at every meal. And the guest service rep who waived the internet fees when I couldn't figure how to turn off the connection on my phone. Just little stuff but very important.

Thanks Buckeye for starting this thread. My first cruise was only 4 years ago but after doing all different types of vacations I absolutely fell in love with Cruising and honestly the BIGGEST reason was the level of service that Carnival delivers. A good room steward can really put the icing on your vacation. A great MDR staff will make you want to come back and be a little sad when you leave. Just so many other references.

What amazes me is how the crew remembers names. My goodness. They call you by first name (well MR. first name) after only interacting with you once. One instance I got a funship as soon as I got on board from a server on the lido. I honestly never saw him again until the last sea day and he remembered my name.

I know that no one is perfect and you do see some lapses but I have not been anywhere else where I have vacationed that the expectation that carnival puts on their crew is so much higher than in other service/hospitality industry.

I love the open water and getting a taste of exotic destinations but for me the service is why I am always counting down impatiently for my next cruise.

Haha...cruise critic. That didn't take long to get negative comment in a "happy story" thread.

Our most recent cruise the room steward with the towel animals made my wife and kids very happy. He made something different and ones we had never seen. And the waiter who always had glasses of chocolate milk ready at every meal. And the guest service rep who waived the internet fees when I couldn't figure how to turn off the connection on my phone. Just little stuff but very important.

Even the towel animals were a change. I assume the tradition started by putting out night clothes for the passengers. When we started cruising, it was our clothes that were turned into all kinds of marvelous creatures, and we never knew what to expect with the Stewarts having some extreme imagination.

I remember the first time seeing it switched from our clothes to a towel, and was like WTH?

My wife and I were getting on the ship in Jacksonville last winter. We had made it through the first line and were walking towards the second when a worker stopped us and said "Congratulations, you have won .........." I didn't understand what she had said.

But, we ended up in the FTTF/platinum area to check in. They had already gotten all of them through. The workers could have set back and taken it easy, but they went out of their way to do something simple and nice.

Lots of great posts on this thread. We've had a few annoyances on our past cruises (and every other vacation we've taken for that matter), but on each cruise there have always been some crew members that stood out and really made the whole experience memorable. Whether it's our MDR servers seeing us on the Lido deck and saying Hi and offering to help or bring us something, a CD that meets you once and then greets you by name whenever you see them again, or a helpful person at the Guest Services desk, there are always crew members that are really good at their position make the guest experience a great one.

I really feel for them at times seeing some of the crap they have to deal with with guests that have an over inflated sense of entitlement, but it seems like when a guest treats them with respect they return the favor ten times over. i can't help but notice when I see MDR servers clearing tables at the Lido buffet that they don't seem really "happy" cleaning up after some messy (and many times wasteful) people, but when you greet them with a smile they return it I like to think it makes you both feel good.

On our last cruise there was a family in our section that was pretty much the epitome of the "Roundell" family from Cruise Confidential but our staff handled them with smiles and patience even though inside they were probably thinking every dirty word in the book.

I am thankful for the many good changes Carnival has been making. I think the 2.0 additions like Guy's, Blue Iguana, Bonsai Sushi, Alchemy Bar, and other venues have revitalized the ships they have been added to. I also think that the American Table concept and the food are great. While there are many dishes from the old menu, there are many new additions that are well worth trying. And the quality of the food has not diminished. The new tables without the table cloths are beautiful, and the move from formal to elegant night makes for a more family friendly atmosphere. It is this forward progress that will keep me cruising Carnival. The absolute best value for the money.

:)I am glad I started this thread too... love reading these happy "special moment" posts.:) Hoping to read many more:)

And in my first post I mentioned the American table... I haven't tried it yet.. but will soon on the Breeze... reading a really great review on that ship.. can't wait to experience it myself... and also will be posting a "special moment" from that trip here.. because on all my cruises, there has always been at least one... :) thanks everyone for posting your special moments... like I said

Sometimes "it's just the little things" :D:D

What I like best is when you get the ninja room stewards the ones where it seems if you step outside your door take 3 steps remember you left your sunglasses open the door and they have already made your room. We always have good to great room stewards but the ninja ones are the best still don't know how they do it.

:)I am glad I started this thread too... love reading these happy "special moment" posts.:) Hoping to read many more:)

And in my first post I mentioned the American table... I haven't tried it yet.. but will soon on the Breeze... reading a really great review on that ship.. can't wait to experience it myself... and also will be posting a "special moment" from that trip here.. because on all my cruises, there has always been at least one... :) thanks everyone for posting your special moments... like I said

Sometimes "it's just the little things" :D:D

There are two great appetizers on the AT menu that you have to try - if you are an adventurous eater - Braised Rabbit, and Braised Ox Tongue. Also the Cured Salmon with Candied Tomatoes is great. Hope you enjoy.

My husband and I got married on the Conquest out of New Orleans. We only live an hour away from port so our friends and family were able to come on board to the wedding and reception and leave before sail away. Well my daughter (and flower girl) who was 7 at the time didn't want to leave without seeing a towel animal (of all things). So one of the waiters at the reception knew how to make them, and took a paper towel and folded it into a frog for her to bring home with her. He totally did not have to do that, but it made her day and she still has it sitting on her shelf in her bedroom and tells the story every time someone asks.

A very small gesture that made a huge difference to a little girl!!

I cruise Princess more than I do Carnival, and my last Carnival cruise was over 5yrs ago, on the Dream. We found out probably 2 days in to the cruise that one of our dogs at home was dying. The front desk staff was wonderful, letting us make calls both in the cabin and there at the front desk without charge, even coordinating a call from our vet. I'll never forget that.:)

Halloween night, I dressed up my robe with towels and hat and sunshades, to look like some one was sitting in my bed, also stuck a $20.00 in each hand for my cabin stuert, he had been great the whole trip, could not have asked for better. That night late i came back to my room, my towel man is gone and the two $20's were on my nightstand. I found it refreshing for him to be so honest especially since I thought anyway it was obvious cash was for him.

I gave it to him next morning plus some extra, best part was he said i got him, he thought itt was me at first in bed, LOL.

On our last cruise I accidentally left my boarding pass from our flight in the room somewhere. It was of no use to me and could have simply been discarded. A couple of weeks after our cruise I received an envelope in the mail with the old boarding pass and a letter from Carnival that said they had recovered it from our room. They went above and beyond. I could understand it if the item was something personal or valuable, but they sent the document anyway. That is one of many reason that we have another cruise booked next month.

Halloween night, I dressed up my robe with towels and hat and sunshades, to look like some one was sitting in my bed, also stuck a $20.00 in each hand for my cabin stuert, he had been great the whole trip, could not have asked for better. That night late i came back to my room, my towel man is gone and the two $20's were on my nightstand. I found it refreshing for him to be so honest especially since I thought anyway it was obvious cash was for him.

I gave it to him next morning plus some extra, best part was he said i got him, he thought itt was me at first in bed, LOL.

haha, good one!

On our first cruise together my then boyfriend (now husband) and I went on the Elation. We had a wheelchair accessible cabin as he is a quadriplegic - when we entered the cabin we immediately realized the space was completely designed poorly. The main issue was him being able to get into the bathroom. The door was wide enough however the room furnishings in the cabin need it impossible for him to get into the bathroom because the door would not open fully - he went to the pursers desk and within 15 minutes they sent two workmen to assess the situation - they came complete with every imaginable tool. after talking they whipped out their drills and removed the bathroom door and reconfigured all the furniture in the cabin. that's right we sailed for an entire week without a door on our bathroom! However the new configuration was so much better! That was 1998 on the elations second sailing. We still laugh about it!

Last November we took our first cruise. I had read about the Behind the Fun tour and thought my husband, father-in-law, and son would really enjoy it. The only problem is our son didn't meet the age requirement.

When we boarded we went to the excursions desk to put the guys on the list, and to inquire if it was possible our son could join the group since he was a few months shy. They said they would have to ask permission to waive the age restriction.

We went about the cruise hoping for permission, but prepared to accept the rules. Our son is autistic and loves blueprints, maps, and is obsessed with the Titanic.....so we had our fingers crossed.

Not only did they allow him to join the tour, but the HR lady that gave the tour was so sweet with him. He was so into the tour and full of questions. That evening after dinner we found the pictures from the bridge on our bed. My husband's picture was of the tour group with the captain. Our son's envelope was a picture of him and the captain printed on a metal stand. While that photo was an awesome memory and gift, the HR lady had gone and written a lengthy note to our son about how well he behaved and participated on the tour. That note meant more to him (and us) than the picture even.

He keeps the picture of him and the captain on his desk by his computer.