Help needed for South Pacific Cruise please!

Hi everyone,

I'm a first time cruiser and I'm looking at booking a cruise for my family at the end of this year for to the South Pacific. It will be for my husband and I and our 2 kids who are 4 and 2. I've been researching for a long time and I still have some questions!

What cruise line would be best for little kids? We'd like the kids to be able to go to the kids club if they like it and I've seen that some don't take kids under 3. I think the best options would be P&O or Carnival - is this right? I've also read that most kids clubs won't take kids that aren't toilet trained or allow them in the pool and our 2 year old isn't currently toilet trained. I've read that Carnival does allow them in the kids club and pool, but I'm not sure about P&O? And any recommendations for particular ships?

Due to work restrictions we're looking at going in late November / early December. We'd rather not go during school holidays as our 4 year old is very shy and we know he'd enjoy the kids club more if there were less kids as he gets very overwhelmed by lots of kids. What is this time of year like in the Pacific? I've seen conflicting reports - some say it's fine, others say it's too hot.

Any recommendations for departure port? Most seem to depart from Sydney or Brisbane. We live in Adelaide so we'll have to fly wherever we depart from so we're thinking we'll go from wherever we can get the cheapest flights if there isn't much difference!

Any other advice would be much appreciated! TIA! :)

Hi Tigstar and welcome to the wonderful world of cruising and the Cruise Critic forums.

Your selections are about right by my eye and of the two choices, I think Carnival would be better. P & O tends to cater to partying adults more than Carnival and Carnival really aim for the family market and seem to do it well. I'm sure you will get more replies in the morning with more detailed information as well. Enjoy you holiday.

Steve.

oh it's a shame you weren't on the lookout earlier as carnival had a 72 hour sale on recently and had some great deals for early december, cruises going so cheaply out to the south pacific. We are planning a family holiday for December next year and I have pinpointed carnival as the best cruise liner for our family with our diverse age range from 5 year olds through to teens and young adults.

Edited by wananga
added more explanation

Thanks everyone, sounds like Carnival is the go. It's a pity I missed the sale but they appear to have another on at the moment for up to 35% off.

Does anyone know the difference between Carnival Spirit and Legend?

I took my son on Carnival Spirit when he was 2 to New Caledonia. He was not toilet trained then and the Carnival kids club were fine with nappy changes (just send nappies each kids club session). He went in the pool too with a swim nappy. Carnival, as far as I am aware, is the only line that allows swim nappies. Your kids will also love the water adventure park on the top deck on Carnival. Have a great family holiday!

Having sailed on the Spirit twice and the Legend once but will be on the Legend in March 2016, both ships are identical in layout but are different in decor and what they offer as in bars etc.

I prefer the rock style shows on the Legend instead of the 1930's/jazz style shows on the Spirit, Music Manila in club cool (Spirit) was great, better than the band in the red frog pub (Legend).

Food wise very similar except Fat Jimmy's on the Spirit was great and was missed on the Legend.

These are only my opinion and everyone will be different but either one would be a great cruise.

One thing to keep in mind is that The Spirit is going into drydock for refurbishment with some new bars etc going in so if prices were similar I would probably lean towards the Spirit.

When I booked our cruise for March 2016 I would have prefered The Spirit but price and ports/itinerary on the Legend suited us much better.

Thanks everyone for reassuring me that Carnival was the way to go! I ended up visiting a travel agent today to see if they could get me a better deal and they did! Saved $200 over purchasing online and I've booked for December :)