Lunch in Aix

SailingDeanna

We love Bistro Romain, 13 Cours Mirabeau which is right in the centre. There are special menus but also a la carte. North of the Cours Mirabeau there are also many other small restaurants to choose from - too many to name. Most of them offer outside eating too if you would like to eat in the open air.

Edited by Morgans

When you say 'arriving in the afternoon' .....what time would you be arriving in Aix and which day of the week? Just be aware that in France restaurants serve lunch between 12.00 and 14.00 with last orders taken about 13.40. Also Sunday lunch is quite a tradition and often popular restaurants get fully booked by locals.If it's after 14.00 you would have to look for a bistro/snackbar type of place rather than a restaurant and it probably wouldn't be a full 3 course lunch.

The 2 hour lunch break is sacrosanct:)

Arriving on a Tuesday by private car tour. We are allowed between 1 1/2 hours- 2 hours for lunch. I'm guessing it will be somewhere in the 12:30 range of time.

Thanks for all the suggestions. We are looking ALL of them up online. Appreciate the help.

Edited by SailingDeanna

Tou'll be fine with 12.30 on a weekday, but once you've decided where you want to eat I would suggest making a reservation, either by phone or email just in case there are lots of other visitors that day who arrive on the dot of 12.00!!!

If we don't want to start eating at noon, we always reserve and give a approximate arrival time. It would be a pity to have to settle for your second or third choice, or worse have to go traipsing round to find somewhere to accommodate you.

Arriving on a Tuesday by private car tour. We are allowed between 1 1/2 hours- 2 hours for lunch. I'm guessing it will be somewhere in the 12:30 range of time. Thanks for all the suggestions. We are looking ALL of them up online. Appreciate the help.

Yes, it's a super place for lunch. BUT, one of the variables will be how many ships are docked for that day at the nearby ports. Or, how many tour buses are visiting there on that day. Having a reservation could be smart.

Below are more of my notes on Eze. Plus, one of my pictures as proof/evidence that it is an amazing location. It's like being . . . on top of the world!!

The old village of Eze, along the coast between Nice and Monaco, hangs up in the mountains above the water and crowds. It's wonderful to visit. Great, great views! Totally charming! Have lunch or dinner there at one of the two great eating places and feel like you're sitting on the edge of paradise! We ate at the Château Eza. Its website: http://www.chateauezarestaurant.com. At 1,407 feet above the Mediterranean, Eze offers commanding views of cliffs, sea, sprawling estates and off-shore islands. The village's narrow streets or more really paths among the buildings lead to the Jardin Exotique It is a maze of paths flanked by mammoth flowering plants and spiky cactuses. For about $3, you can walk up to the best view on the French Riviera. On a clear day, you can see Corsica! It does not get much better than Eze. Their tourism office:

http://www.eze-riviera.com

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 202,996 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

The charming mountain top village of Èze is nearby and offers great view along the southern French coast to the west.:

EzeBldgView.jpg

Actually I think the OP was enquiring about Aix-en-Provence, not Eze, but certainly reserving for lunch is advisable:)

Sorry, I goofed. Yes, it's about Aix. My old eyes are failing me. Below are my rough notes on Aix.

AIX-EN-PROVENCE (population of 143,000) with Cezanne's studio on the road to Entremont; university town founded 122 B.C. as first Roman settlement in Gaul, near thermal springs, dining at Gu et Fils. An elegant and beautiful town, the visitor will enjoy discovering its ‘thousand fountains’ as he or she roams through its labyrinth of narrow streets. Aix-en-Provence is also renowned worldwide for its unique classical music festival.

So many wonderful towns in and around Provence!! So much to see. So little time.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 116,098 views for this posting.

• 8 months later...