Mexican Riviera

qsuzi

When did San Diego get their new terminal? I know they have done some remodeling around the port but ???

A few years ago? Not certain but it is a second smaller one parallel to the older larger one, with the parking area in-between.

It is something San Diegans are aware of being next to Los Angeles. Even our football team is threatening to leave.....

To be fair, you should also consider the much longer bus/taxi ride between the LA cruise ports and LAX through LA freeway traffic. In San Diego the airport to cruise shuttle is only 2 miles on a surface street. The difference is the same with a hotel stay, and quite frankly I would rather spend extra hotel days in San Diego.

igraf

For us it is a non stop flight and it is really nice to be at the port in about 10 minutes from the airport. If you are spending some extra days before and/or after the cruise San Diego and the surrounding areas are among the best with many great places to see and things to do.

Edited by qsuzi

San Diego used to be a very convenient non-stop, direct flight from YVR, about 3 hours or so. Now you cannot get there from here without transferring either at LAX or San Fran, making it an all-day option. So for Mexico, I would book a cruise out of LA, which means a very quick flight for me.

Most people would rather take a direct flight then transfer and make a day out of it.

I don't know who ran that survey, but they sure didn't ask me!

I would much rather take a non-stop, and not transfer than a direct flight or one with a transfer.

Most of my domestic flights home seem to be direct to Baltimore, then transfer to a flight home. They really do "make a day out of it".

Happy days are here, love the Westerdam and glad they are going to be doing multiple Mexico cruises. Thanks Hal.

I totally agree, Hallelujah!!! Finally a Vista out of California again, I think someone probably put their thinking cap back on in Seattle :rolleyes: now I have to decide it I want to return to the NCL Jewel in November 2016 or sail the Westerdam. I would have loved to see Nieuw Amsterdam stay on the West Coast but will take the Westerdam all day long compared to the Veendam.

San Diego used to be a very convenient non-stop, direct flight from YVR, about 3 hours or so. Now you cannot get there from here without transferring either at LAX or San Fran, making it an all-day option. So for Mexico, I would book a cruise out of LA, which means a very quick flight for me.

We have few choices for nonstop flights but can to/from LAX, SF, or SD. Now that the Westerdam is sailing from SD, would choose SD hands down except for the disembarkation issues.

Allegiant flys non stop to sd from Bellingham