Booking paid restaurants with OBC – when do you pay?

emilyreid09

Hi all,

This may be a silly question...

If I have $50 OBC for my upcoming cruise (103 days – woohoo) and I want to use that for either the Illusionarium show or a paid restaurant, how do I do so? Can I book it now and then pay on the ship with the OBC or do I have to pay now, and therefore am not able to use OBC? I don’t quite understand how this works!

Thanks in advance!

You can make a reservation for a premium restaurant online in your MyNCL account.

You will pay for it onboard with your room card after your meal is done. You can't apply onboard credits towards specific items, it is a general credit that goes towards your account.

So if you have a $50 OBC and spend $150 onboard, you will owe $100 at the end of the cruise.

You can make a reservation for a premium restaurant online in your MyNCL account.

You will pay for it onboard with your room card after your meal is done. You can't apply onboard credits towards specific items, it is a general credit that goes towards your account.

This is incorrect. You are required to pre-pay reservations when booking in advance using your MyNCL account. Unfortunately, you cannot use OBC if you are pre-booking. You will need to wait to book when you are on board the ship if you specifically want your OBC to offset that charge.

This is incorrect. You are required to pre-pay reservations when booking in advance using your MyNCL account. Unfortunately, you cannot use OBC if you are pre-booking. You will need to wait to book when you are on board the ship if you specifically want your OBC to offset that charge.

FYI - This is no longer true on the Escape and won't be true on any of the ships once they go to a la carte. The Specialty restaurants show as "Complimentary" with a note under it about being charged on the ship......they can't know what you will be ordering so they can't charge in advance.

FYI - This is no longer true on the Escape and won't be true on any of the ships once they go to a la carte. The Specialty restaurants show as "Complimentary" with a note under it about being charged on the ship......they can't know what you will be ordering so they can't charge in advance.

Interesting. Is that only true for the ones that are going a la carte? Or for all of the specialties? For example, do you have pre-pay Teppanyaki, but not Cagney's?

The OP mentioned the Illusionarium, so that would not be an a la carte venue, even after the menus change over.

Interesting. Is that only true for the ones that are going a la carte? Or for all of the specialties? For example, do you have pre-pay Teppanyaki, but not Cagney's?

The OP mentioned the Illusionarium, so that would not be an a la carte venue, even after the menus change over.

My mistake then, Teppanyaki shows $29.99 and the Supper Club is only open to book by calling but I'm sure that will be pay now too. It's the a la carte specialties that they have no way to know what you will order so you can reserve online and pay onboard.

My mistake then, Teppanyaki shows $29.99 and the Supper Club is only open to book by calling but I'm sure that will be pay now too. It's the a la carte specialties that they have no way to know what you will order so you can reserve online and pay onboard.

Thanks for clarifying. I would love it if NCL moved to a model where you didn't have to pre-pay items (meals, excursions, etc.), even if you had to give a credit card to secure the reservation. That was one thing I liked when I sailed HAL to Alaska - I could pre-book excursions and not be shut out of things that were important to me, yet could use the OBC to offset the cost because I wasn't actually charged until on the ship.

Thanks for clarifying. I would love it if NCL moved to a model where you didn't have to pre-pay items (meals, excursions, etc.), even if you had to give a credit card to secure the reservation. That was one thing I liked when I sailed HAL to Alaska - I could pre-book excursions and not be shut out of things that were important to me, yet could use the OBC to offset the cost because I wasn't actually charged until on the ship.

NCL used to do it that way. They moved to this model (pay in advance).