Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Two

CC Help Michell

Happy Birthday to Chez Jeff!

What is going on with my darn pictures? I shall have to get cranky with Google Photos... I can still see them on my laptop, both the original post and the repost/quote. I can see only the quoted ones on the app. Oh well. Happy Friday (or Saturday already, for many)!

Good Afternoon Coolers,

Today, we went for a walk, and passing the village hall there was much goings on that made us think it might have been booked for a Bollywood wedding. But we were wrong. We asked some very nice people outside dressed in traditional costume what was going on and we were immediately invited in to see ....

It transpires that our local Malaylee association were celebrating Onam .... which of course I had to google to learn more. These people could not have been more welcoming, and I mean everyone came up to us to welcome us and explain what was going on. There was singing, and a floor floral arrangement and we were begged to stay to join them in their meal ... a Kheralan spread being freshly prepared. We felt it was an invitation we should not take advantage of but it made me think a lot about how wonderful it is when people that are different welcome you and want to explain their heritage and how we need more.

Jeff

Weird weather this weekend here in Upstate NY. Yesterday was sunny, dry, and crisp like a typical Autumn day. Brisk morning, nice afternoon with sunshine and clear skies, just a slight breeze. Met up with some friends from Pennsylvania and had a nice dinner out.

It started raining around 6AM this morning, and today was humid, with grey skies, but luckily it wasn't too hot. We made pizza on the grill today. The first was a pretty standard tomato sauce, pepperoni, and mushroom pizza finished with a little grated Grana Padano cheese and fresh basil. The second was a white pizza. I cooked some cubes of pancetta over low heat for a long time until they were crispy, then added a bunch of chopped garlic and a sprinkle of hot pepper. That was the base, topped with a bit of arugula and cheese, and finished with a generous grating of Grana. All went well with a Barbera wine from California.

Less than three weeks until we fly off to Madagascar!

Feeling sore this morning. Yesterday I had an "Equine Assisted Flying Lesson."

Actually, I had to bail because I lost one rein while my horsey was bucking. Ugh... Right side (where I landed), is bruised and sore. My horsey was having a nice run through a field when his grandmother (the boss mare of our herd) started crying out from the barn. Being very protective of her, he threw a little fit wanting to get back to the barn. Caught me by surprise and I had to bail once I lost the right rein. If I had pulled the left, he would have spun around, probably making it worse. At least the grass was soft!

When I got back on and rode to the barn I found out what all the fuss was about. The mare had been bloodied quite bad by 2 Mustang's (rescue) that like to pick on her. She had been "impaled" by something and was bleeding pretty bad from her shoulder. The vet patched her up and we are keeping her separate from the herd for a while. Quite a day in the barn yesterday.

Everyone is okay and doing fine now. I'm nursing the Motrin and ice packs today at work.

Thanks for the birthday wishes Shots ... and sorry to hear of all your unwelcome excitement. Hope things get back to normal ...

Today I made for wifey's birthday some long braised beef short ribs in wine and soffritto which was all cleared and beurre monte'd. I de-ribbed the meat into nice large juicy chunkis and with the sauce it was good.

910A6739-ACD2-450D-9FC3-945BAC3D462B.jpg

Jeff

Spinnaker2, I don't think so... ;) This is actually two trips in one. Two weeks in Madagascar, then a recovery week in South Africa. The SA trip might involve nice restaurants and dressier clothes that we definitely won't need in Madagascar.

So we'll pack a separate suitcase of SA clothes, which we'll leave in Tana upon our arrival, and pick up again for the SA flight. We may be able to squeeze the Madagascar clothes into just one case, depending on how much we bring. But more likely we will need one each.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

Hi Shots, thanks .....in fact it looked a bit out of focus to me ..... but it was taken just with a standard ipad ......

The short rib is the part of the animal that is left behind when they take the ribeye off. So you get an extraordinary piece of eating that no one else seems to be buying much .. well here in the UK at least. I'm glad I tried it.

Jeff

Love short ribs. So tasty in braised recipes...just cook them for hours and the flavor and texture are incredible. They are even tastier after a day or two in the fridge, if they last that long. Any leftovers, Jeff, that you'd like to share with us? They looked delicious!

Dinner tonight was pork schnitzel and sweet potato fries (chips). Made them in the air fryer, finished with herbs and grated cheese, then a squeeze of lemon. And a cucumber salad. Und Grüner Veltliner, natürlich!

3e5018a219a1561c68ca53722c37570d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

Edited by jpalbny

Hi JP, those sweet potato fries was going "off piste" for schnitzel and Gruner .... but I think you are right and they are wrong. They look lovely. Although .... the cheese? :) As is usual in life ... I have gone into reverse and I'm courting the deep fat fryer again and making lovely fluffy fried things.

Two and two often make four and reading about your planned trips and what you normally bring back i guess you might be bringing back some lovely vanilla from Madagascar?

Today was my first day with the short rib beef but it is clearly the elusive braised beef I have been looking for but never found. Everything you say I know is right. Cook for long and refrigerate and reheat. I'd worked out that this cut is perfect for a traditional shortcrust beef pie with onion and mushrooms, so this weekend my plan is to buy more ribs ... today I had six which provided a little too much ... and I'm going to detatch the meat from the bone and glutinous membrane but then cube the meat into large chunks and cook it in home made soffritto and red wine with a bouquet garni and the bones etc. I'll remove the meat and reduce the sauce and then refrigerate and make a meat pie a day or two later. It'll be great with mash and peas.

Tonight has been another night when I don't feel tired and so I have made some stem ginger shortbread bisuits for the wifey and me. Home made biscuits are so much better than anything you can buy and I am convinced that they are not fattening. Ish.

F003D9E2-893E-49FE-AFE1-AC063B90EAFA.jpg

Jeff

Greetings Coolers! Food pics and descriptions make for an entertaining read! Thanks for that!

J..... Happy (very belated) birthday wishes to you, your daughter and your wife! We visited 2 of the grandkids on the weekend and of course I came home sick. Kids that age seem to be a constant source of cold germs.

Enjoy your day all!

156 days until my cruise! Getting excited.

Taking a nice little trip up north this weekend, which is much needed after a crazy week (and it is only Tuesday). Hurting pretty bad this morning after the fall. Ice and Motrin 800's not seeming to help. I'll give it one more day, as I am usually the most sore the 2nd day, and then go see the doctor. Trying to avoid that as much as possible. :(

Thanks M!

Shot's .... it's dangerous to give others medical advice ....(ask Spins!) .... but you are invited to see inside my medical nook in the kitchen where I have a range of medications available seems to cure almost everything or at least help you forget ....:D

The Absolut Vodka seems to mutliply to keep up with depletion.

3F0E1B65-2F16-48E0-AEF9-3C31E5155058.jpg

Jeff

Thanks M!

Shot's .... it's dangerous to give others medical advice ....(ask Spins!) .... but you are invited to see inside my medical nook in the kitchen where I have a range of medications available seems to cure almost everything or at least help you forget ....:D

The Absolut Vodka seems to mutliply to keep up with depletion.

3F0E1B65-2F16-48E0-AEF9-3C31E5155058.jpg

Jeff

HAHA!!! I LOVE IT! I have to admit, after the fall Sunday, I was sipping 4 fingers of Jameson. Its tricky with having to go into work the next day though.

The good news is a nurse at work checked me out and does not believe anything is broken or torn. Perhaps a stretched ligament. Rx: 4 more fingers tonight!