Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Two

CC Help Michell

Still here lurking around in the background - in full get ready to go away mood - one case packed. Two others to be done. DH had cataract surgery, cat has urinary infection, I did my back in so all in all an eventful couple of weeks. Along with trying to give grass a final mow before we go away, arrange for gardener to trim the hedges while we're away, wondering why window man hasn't appeared on his scheduled day, being presented with things that need washing/cleaning/altering all before Tuesday - whimper

Hoping the Med is a little warmer than here and wondering how this cruise will be with a line we've never tried before - hey ho interesting times ahead.

Loved all the pix that have been popping up all through the thread - love looking at food even though I try to be strong and live on salad (got to get into all those new gowns - arrgggghhh).

M

M,

You sound like you need that break.

:D

Jeff

I hope not Mark. Horse chestnuts (conkers) are poisonous ..... please choose sweet chestnuts as we can't lose any more members .....:D

Jeff

No eating is involved. Another word for horse chestnut is Buckeye, and the roasting we hope to do would be on the football field. I'll leave it to Terry to explain why his favorite football team chose a poisonous nut for their team name.

Still here lurking around in the background - in full get ready to go away mood - one case packed. Two others to be done. DH had cataract surgery, cat has urinary infection, I did my back in so all in all an eventful couple of weeks. Along with trying to give grass a final mow before we go away, arrange for gardener to trim the hedges while we're away, wondering why window man hasn't appeared on his scheduled day, being presented with things that need washing/cleaning/altering all before Tuesday - whimper

Hoping the Med is a little warmer than here and wondering how this cruise will be with a line we've never tried before - hey ho interesting times ahead.

Loved all the pix that have been popping up all through the thread - love looking at food even though I try to be strong and live on salad (got to get into all those new gowns - arrgggghhh).

M

Have a great trip M! :)

J... I think Mark is hoping his team wipes the field with Terry's team. Football rivalries are epic in the US.

I've only had roasted chestnuts once from a street vendor - while on a river cruise down the Rhine and Mosel. I did not enjoy the flavour. Maybe it is an acquired taste?

J... I think Mark is hoping his team wipes the field with Terry's team. Football rivalries are epic in the US.

I've only had roasted chestnuts once from a street vendor - while on a river cruise down the Rhine and Mosel. I did not enjoy the flavour. Maybe it is an acquired taste?

Everything is an acquired taste ... but the vendors are infinitely variable. We only have a few in Vienna we go to with some we avoid. Some don't bin leftovers and reheat and hey can be particularly nasty. And also the quality of nuts are variable.

You might consider trying roasting some at home ... they really do become a drug.

Jeff

Yes, and Michigan-Ohio State is arguably the most epic. ESPN named it the 20th century's greatest rivalry, not just for football but all of American sport.

If you enjoy baked potato in their skins then I suspect you would love roast chestnuts. Same sort of taste but a lovely crunchy texture.

OK, now that is a flavour I can get behind! I love baked potatoes in their skins! Now the trick will be finding some and figuring out the best way to roast them given my pedestrian kitchen. :)

Mastering how to cook them is one of the things that keeps you going .... hope you try!

I wanted something to warm up my punch on this new hob in Maroni's ... and obviously you must keep the drink below boiling so I ordered this and it is winging it's way from Germany - the home of punch. I think it is elegant. I know it is just a glass kettle but I think the punch will look great keeping warm in this. I hope it arrives in one piece.

61PpE04AjYL._SL1407_.jpg

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

So how did the punch and nuts work out J? Stunning success?

Thanks for asking.

Stunning I think is a good description as we felt a bit stunned this afternoon. I used a new (to me) Bacardi with spice for the punch shots ..... and they were very convivial! I used frozen summer berries and they tatsed so freesh. Erdbeerne Punch.

The nuts were also great. And I have so many ....

:)

Jeff

Sounds like great fun! Wish we had some of that here.

We are feeling too lazy to cook tonight...I was busy today taking my recertification exam for Internal Medicine which was a pain. I hate sitting still for so long and there were 4 sections, 60 questions each. 2 hours per section got tiresome. Even though I go faster than that, the last section was interminable! Hopefully it will be the last time for a while.

Chris has been on call all week, and both of us are working this weekend. No fun...time to plan another vacation!

Last night's dinner was really tasty though. Will upload a picture later. :)

Edited by jpalbny

Sounds like great fun! Wish we had some of that here.

We are feeling too lazy to cook tonight...I was busy today taking my recertification exam for Internal Medicine which was a pain. I hate sitting still for so long and there were 4 sections, 60 questions each. 2 hours per section got tiresome. Even though I go faster than that, the last section was interminable! Hopefully it will be the last time for a while.

Chris has been on call all week, and both of us are working this weekend. No fun...time to plan another vacation!

Last night's dinner was really tasty though. Will upload a picture later. :)

I had to re-read yur post because it first looked like you had said .. "rectum exam for Internal Medicine which was a pain ......." and I had added my own ending to the sentence ...:D

That is a hell of an exam ... but I guess is good news it is so stringent otherwise anyone would treat people. At least if you're both working at the same time this weekend it increases odds of you both being free at the same time.

Today is curry day .... and some maroni in Maroni's in the afternoon. Perhaps a touch less punch and I will feature some different Christmas market mugs for those who notice such things. :)

It is getting colder and greyer in Southern England.

Jeff

Jeff you've inspired me to visit Winchester. Never been! Will be around the area at the end of next month and will definitely add it to my itinerary.

That's lovely!

Yes ... well I'm just a few miles away across some lovely country lanes ... pop in for some nuts and some punch! :)

Sometimes if you know an area very well you can answer a question by doing so differently and suggest something most won't consider or think of. You cannot beat local knowledge rather than knowledge from other tourists. It seemed to me that that OP was missing an opportunity to see Winchester instead of Southampton which is ghastly. To come all this way and not sacrifice another 15 minutes .... It is so compact the station is a short walk to everything and the station just 15 minutes from Southampton. He hasn't responded so I guess we will never know whether the idea was appreciated or helpful. :) :rolleyes:

The Wykeham Arms has gentrified over the last few years and become a boutique hotel but they have ... or use to have ...school desks instead of tables and chairs and it is such an atomospheric pub with real beer and an open fire. In a few weeks time the Christmas market and skating rink opens under the cathedral and Winchester takes on a real Christmas atmosphere.

When we were house hunting in the area we stayed there and it was snowing ... Winchester was so magical in the snow.

Edited by UKCruiseJeff