Art on Board - no complaining pls

ladygal4.4

• 5 months later...

I have bought about 10 pieces on two Princess cruises last year. I buy art that makes me smile not for investment purposes. On the 2nd cruise I spoke with people who had their purchases framed by Park West and recommend it. I had 2 of the largest pieces I bought framed and they did an outstanding job on them. I never found them to be pushy and hard sell . One painting I bought looked awful when I saw it up close and I told them I didn't want it. They said OK and that was it. I met a few cruisers who have bought a lot from them and have received free or discounted cruises.

As usual it is buyer beware and just buy what you like and can afford.

Diana

Las Vegas

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great thing about today's age n technology is on the cruise you can instantly research the price of a print/art in minutes on your iPhone.....My wife looked at one she liked a few years back and they were appraising it at $450 before framing etc .......Same exact print at other galleries online was $60-$100 TOPS

She showed the art guy the REAL VALUE and he basically said theirs was better quality blah blah blah and started talking to someone else he had hooked like a fish ...Lol......

We bought it from one of the galleries we found online once back home and had it framed beautifully for a reasonable cost here in Los Angeles

Buyer Beware Should Be Parks notice lol.....but Hey if You Love it on the ship and like Spending lots more money than the items worth have fun

• 3 weeks later...

Years ago when we were on Carnival Conquest, they had this "discount sale" on the last night of the cruise. These were items that might have been slightly damaged. We got a very large framed piece that we were very happy with, and still hangs in our family room to this day. The frame was a little chipped but we didn't care.

The last cruise I was on, I went every day to the art auctions, and I found the auctioneers as pushy as ever. To be honest, I go just to look and have a good time, and to get their 8.5" x 11" free print that they give away. What's funny is when many of these free prints end up on eBay and the seller is trying to pull a fast one by selling it for like $70.

All of the art is indeed art, but most of it consists of lithographs and seriographs. Occasionally they will have original oil paintings. I always get a kick out of when the auctioneer is gushing about an "original" Rembrandt or an "original" Picasso. They are "originals" in the sense they are lithographs or prints from the original plate or woodcut in the case of the Rembrandt. But as far as "original" as in "actually touched by the hands of these famous artists", uh.... no. You won't find "original" Rembrandts or Picassos on a cruise ship.

For anyone who is considering buying, just know that you're most likely not getting a "deal". You buy because you like it, because you're on vacation, and want the thrill of buying something you like while you're on vacation. I actually do quite like one of Park West's artists, Fanch Ledan, but I find that his stuff can be found online and on eBay (with certificate of authenticity) for FAR less than what Park West sells at.

We have bought probably 20 or so art pieces from Park West and are thoroughly happy with them. Beautifully framed pieces that get many rave reviews from people who visit our home. We buy what we like and not in terms of any investment. We have concentrated on Picot, Tarkay, and Bellet. DH and I would recommend Park West without reservation.

Who has bought from Park West and how was your experience? Please no complainers how this is bad art etc...obviously I know I'm not buying a Monet etc. But some of them are really nice, even if they are just copies

Forgive me if I don't understand your question. You are asking for people's experience but no complaining? So do you want a person's experience if it's only positive? If so, than what is the purpose of your question?

Anyway, I can't tell you my experience without complaining!

I think a lot of it depends on the auctioneers. We have generally had great experiences with on-ship auctions, but our last cruise on the Carnival Magic was not fun. We expressed interest in a piece, then said we would not be buying anything, but they kept coming by trying to get us to buy. We finally left before the "big drawing" because they just couldn't accept a NO.

I think as many have said you have to go in looking for something you want to own at a price you're willing to pay for it. We have bought 4-5 Thomas Kinkade from them on cruises as well as other things that we have liked such as all of the Warner Brothers characters playing hockey. All in all I have had 0 things framed by them since we can get better work cheaper locally.

Art as in investment is something very hard to accomplish for most people and I am one of those people it would be hard for. So all in all we just buy what we like with the intention of them ending up on our walls.

Oh and on our last cruise I think my wife won the giveaways at pretty much every auction we went to on that cruise. Funny part is on that cruise I think the only thing I bought from the auction (bid on some things but prices went higher than I was ok with) was a spa trip for her on the cruise.

As for Park West itself I never feel pressured, even when talking about framing I just tell them no we have someone back home and they are always good with it. I think it's fun it's informing at times and overall just a good way to waste some time and look at some nice things.

Life is what you make it

Years ago when we were on Carnival Conquest, they had this "discount sale" on the last night of the cruise. These were items that might have been slightly damaged. We got a very large framed piece that we were very happy with, and still hangs in our family room to this day. The frame was a little chipped but we didn't care.

The last cruise I was on, I went every day to the art auctions, and I found the auctioneers as pushy as ever. To be honest, I go just to look and have a good time, and to get their 8.5" x 11" free print that they give away. What's funny is when many of these free prints end up on eBay and the seller is trying to pull a fast one by selling it for like $70.

All of the art is indeed art, but most of it consists of lithographs and seriographs. Occasionally they will have original oil paintings. I always get a kick out of when the auctioneer is gushing about an "original" Rembrandt or an "original" Picasso. They are "originals" in the sense they are lithographs or prints from the original plate or woodcut in the case of the Rembrandt. But as far as "original" as in "actually touched by the hands of these famous artists", uh.... no. You won't find "original" Rembrandts or Picassos on a cruise ship.

For anyone who is considering buying, just know that you're most likely not getting a "deal". You buy because you like it, because you're on vacation, and want the thrill of buying something you like while you're on vacation. I actually do quite like one of Park West's artists, Fanch Ledan, but I find that his stuff can be found online and on eBay (with certificate of authenticity) for FAR less than what Park West sells at.

I wish I could find the scratch/dent sales. I too like the artists, but they are just too expensive on board. I'm not looking for originals, no way I could afford those, but the free lithographs are nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk