Hotel and transportation in Santiago, Chile

cruisetilidrop

We are doing the Crown Princess flying into Santiago, Chile leaving from the port in Valparaiso. What are your recommendations for transportation? We usually arrive at least a day early. Hotel recommendations and sites to be seen also would be appreciated.

get to the bus terminal Alameda by taxi. the buses are very nice, cheap (around US$7-), and will hold all your luggage in the compartments underneath. buses leave every 15 minutes (or so), very convenient. then taxi to the port from the terminal in Valpo.

you should add more days if possible. Santiago is a very interesting, fun city...

Edited by Merlinite

Not Merlinite, but I we liked the Hotel Orly and its neighbourhood in the Providencia District of Santiago. It is a smaller "boutique" hotel that is chosen by numerous cruisers. We stayed in the Hotel Orly itself, but the Orly also has a nearby building with self-contained apartments. Many restaurants nearby, 5 min walk to a subway station, good breakfast included. Excellent for us, but not for people who want a large, resort-style hotel.

John

Edited by J-D

Merlinite, did you stay in the city? Where did you stay?

Yes. We were there 4 days. stayed in an apartment on Merced we found on airbnb. great location. walked everywhere except when we wandered to far and were to tired to walk back. Cabs are readily available and very reasonable. I think the apartment was around US$50- per night. 1 bedroom, full kitchen, wi fi, and a view of Castillo Hidalgo, a top Cerro Sta Lucia. there was a pool that we didn't use. we were very comfortable.

Our building had a market on the 1st floor called Lindor that is a Walmart affiliate and had everything we needed, and then some...

this is the street view of the building: hope it works

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Merced+526,+Santiago,+Regi%C3%B3n+Metropolitana,+Chile/@-33.4378103,-70.6447559,3a,88.8y,168.41h,88.27t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sxOjuH2NPISf_P7UUYSE9Zg!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo0.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DxOjuH2NPISf_P7UUYSE9Zg%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D172.9903%26pitch%3D0!7i13312!8i6656!4m2!3m1!1s0x9662c5989a3b0629:0x263719155aed853b

I would get to Valparaiso the day you arrive.

It is around a 90 minute drive.

I would get a private service to take you. Try searching this board and also use Trip Advisor.

Keith

keep in mind that you have been traveling for the last 24 hours and will be beat up, if you're like me...:o

all i wanted was a bed... that last 10 hour plane ride was a bitch, after 2 somewhat shorter hops.

Stay in Santiago and relax for a couple days. transport to Valpo is easy. Valpo only takes a day to see anyways. I know this because we stayed there 2 days after our cruise. How many funiculars do you need to ride, and how much graffiti can you look at. Although the graffiti is pretty amazing...

and, a private car will cost you over US$100-, cash please. bus is way cheaper and really easy... kinda fun, actually :)

my 2 pesos...

• 2 weeks later...
I would get to Valparaiso the day you arrive.

It is around a 90 minute drive.

I would get a private service to take you. Try searching this board and also use Trip Advisor.

Leo Cuzmar and his associates can do this and include sightseeing into the trip. We have used him twice and were 100% pleased. He is a gem!

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294305-i2020-k5194022-Leo_Cuzmar_Chile_Guide-Santiago_Santiago_Metropolitan_Region.html

keep in mind that you have been traveling for the last 24 hours and will be beat up, if you're like me...:o

all i wanted was a bed... that last 10 hour plane ride was a bitch, after 2 somewhat shorter hops.

Stay in Santiago and relax for a couple days. transport to Valpo is easy. Valpo only takes a day to see anyways. I know this because we stayed there 2 days after our cruise. How many funiculars do you need to ride, and how much graffiti can you look at. Although the graffiti is pretty amazing...

and, a private car will cost you over US$100-, cash please. bus is way cheaper and really easy... kinda fun, actually :)

my 2 pesos...

I booked a private tour of Valparaiso and Vina del Mar for the day our cruise ends in Valparaiso. That evening we will take the bus to Santiago for 1 night. We are booked at the Ibis Providencia, which was one of the hotels recommended to us by our tour company in Valparaiso. Hotel Orly was also recommended, but we will not be in our hotel long enough to justify the higher cost.

As a backup plan - I have also booked our ship's disembarkation tour to Valparaiso, Vina del Mar, and Santiago that ends at the airport or Princess's hotel. I'm pretty sure the private tour plus bus to Santiago will be the more memorable experience. I'm looking forward to the Sept. 15th delivery of The Rough Guide to Chile, hot off the press, for encouragement!

Yes. We were there 4 days. stayed in an apartment on Merced we found on airbnb. great location. walked everywhere except when we wandered to far and were to tired to walk back. Cabs are readily available and very reasonable. I think the apartment was around US$50- per night. 1 bedroom, full kitchen, wi fi, and a view of Castillo Hidalgo, a top Cerro Sta Lucia. there was a pool that we didn't use. we were very comfortable.

Our building had a market on the 1st floor called Lindor that is a Walmart affiliate and had everything we needed, and then some...

Can you post the link to the airbnb that you used? or contact information?

thanks

How much did he charge in US $ ?

It was 2012 last time and I think it was about $100/pp, but that also included 3/4 day of sightseeing (Valparaiso, Viña del Mar and Santiago). In 2014 we skipped the sightseeing but requested two stops along the way to buy wine and later alfajores from a Havanna store in a Santiago mall.

Yes, this. We went 5 years ago this coming February, going again, this coming February.

The flight is a killer and we were the walking dead. The first time we had a local tour in Santiago and traveled to Valparaiso that afternoon. This time, we will spend the night in Santiago and then travel to Valparaiso. Valpo has some great local artisans, don't discount those or the museums (and a funicular or two). They are distinct areas, and each worth a day.

my 2 pesos...