transatlantic weather

retired067

Eclipse from Southampton to Miami. Should have gone to NYC, Bermuda, Port Canaveral, Miami. We were informed of the itinerary change at embarkation and had to send emails to family to change plans in NYC, and gave away tickets to the Rockettes Holiday spectacular to my cousin.

But, we were grateful to the captain for avoiding the two storms in the Northern Atlantic and the 30-foot seas. We had a lovely day in Madeira. We met wonderful people onboard and had great times with them. We had some cold and rainy days, but some nice ones, too. NYC was really cold and windy, but loved it anyway.

We were in 2109, high up on the pool deck, so we felt the seas more there. We had a couple of days of 15-17 foot seas. I never felt sick, but dizzy, and when a fellow passenger told me that WAS sea-sickness, bonine took care of that.

I had plenty of clothes to layer to stay warm enough; I only wish I had a pair of shorts and a couple of t-shirts with me.

Some people complained, but we had a great time. We met wonderful people and would do it again!

The thing about the crossings and weather is you just don't know what it will be like.

This is one of those cruises that it is best to prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

That time of year the odds are that you will encounter some rough seas and wet weather.

But, when at sea you never know.

Keith

A problem with cruises between Southampton and NYC is that the cruise lines will generally use the shorter "great circle" route which is similar to the route used by the Titanic :). This means the ship actually heads North into cooler weather. We have done about a half dozen of these crossings and the weather has never been great. But sea conditions have varied from glassy seas to 30 foot seas (and everything between).

Hank

Hi all, looking at a TA from Southampton to New York Nov.01 to Nov.16. What should I expect weather wise, temps and seas.

thanks

As others have said, it could be cool/bumpy due to the Northern route taken. Why not take a look at the Silhouette departing Rome on 10/31/15?

I've done 2 trans Atlantic crossings, back in 1971, and not in the lap of luxury.

During my Navy time, our ship crossed the southern route from Puerto Rican waters to Rota, Spain in late January. We had wonderful weather all the way across. We were on the USS Albany, CG10, a 673' 5", 13,700 ton cruiser.

We came back via Rota and the northern route, since we had moved our flag to a ship homeported were our command was homeported, Newport, RI. We came back on the USS Milwaukee, a 659', 39,790 ton (when loaded with oil and supplies) oiler/supply ship. This was in July 1971. We hit some very rough seas. My ship the Milwaukee rode pretty well, but the destroyers bounced around like corks. They would disappear down in a swell then come up and have waves break across the bow to the superstructure. And we hit fog so thick the destroyers were invisible when coming along side for fuel until they were less than 200 feet behind us.

Bottom line is this. You can never know exactly what the weather will be like. But the odds of some rough weather go up, the higher in the Atlantic you cross.

As others have said, our TA from Southampton last year titled 'Broadway and Beaches' was seriously diverted and missed the beaches!

We did, however, have a few pool days across the Atlantic which was lovely.

In fact, a couple of days before the minus 7 degrees in New York, we were sunbathing.

We had a fantastic cruise and met the best people and loved every minute of it.

Adele :)