Dress Code & Formal Night for MDR

Vicki5050

We are taking our first NCL cruise in Feb on the Escape.

My boys are 9,7, & 4 what is the dress code. Do they need to wear dress pants or can they wear shorts? Are sandals acceptable or do they need shoes?

Also my MIL & FIL are going with. My MIL keeps asking about the formal. How dressed up do people get?

Shorts are fine for youngsters, in all dining rooms if they are not pull up sports type.

Your MiL can be as formal as she wants, its Freestyle. Having said that the most dressed one must be for men is trousers and a collared/polo shirt for Le Bistro and the more formal dining room (usually aft). For women almost anything goes as long as you are presentable. Jeans are fine, capris, and dresss shorts.

Don't know about escape but the older ships have 2 dinning rooms one is formal one is not .. Formal one pants are required (not sure about kids) the other one shorts are allowed

This is true on all NCL ships, but I've never seen it enforced. Have seen plenty of people with shorts on in the supposedly more "formal" MDR during dinner.

May have a "dress up or not" night (think that's what they call it) few will wear more dressy clothes most do not but all other nights are freestyle almost anything goes. Very casual and relaxed. We dress how we would if going out at home. A little dressier for the specialty restaurants and cruise casual for everything else.

We are taking our first NCL cruise in Feb on the Escape.

My boys are 9,7, & 4 what is the dress code. Do they need to wear dress pants or can they wear shorts? Are sandals acceptable or do they need shoes?

Also my MIL & FIL are going with. My MIL keeps asking about the formal. How dressed up do people get?

There are 2 MDRs, one is casaul and everyone can wear sandles and shorts. The other does require long pants after 5pm. I doubt anyone cares about the shoes. As for formal nights, there are 2; formal optional, but very few dress up at all. If they do it is casual dress up. Slacks for the guys and maybe a sport jacket; sun dress for the gals. If you want to dress a little mor formally you will not be the only ones.

We have never sailed the mega ships, only the "Dawn, and Jewel" class of ship. There are no "formal" nights, but that doesn't mean you can't dress to the nines....I never have, that's why I like NCL.

On the "smaller" ships they have two MDR's, one is large, the other is much smaller. The large MDR is the more "formal" than the smaller one. In the large MDR they want you (men) to wear pants (even nice jeans), and a shirt with a collar. In the smaller one you can wear shorts, and a tee shirt if you choose.....that is the difference between the two.

Relax and enjoy!:)