Santorini Sunset

Chadrapp

Spending one day of our cruise in Santorini. Reading differing opinions about viewing sunset from either Oia or Fira. While I'm sure there is not a "bad" view, just wondering what everyone recommends. Thanks

We have seen the sun set in Oia and Fira (both excellent) but the best one of all was years ago when we were on the original Star Princess. We had tendered back to the ship and were in a top deck hot tub as the sun was setting on a gorgeous day. As the sun went down, the changes in the light reflected off the island (and Fira) was absolutely stunning. We can watch the sun set over the sea in many different places and see it nearly everyday when we are living in Puerto Vallarta (we have a western ocean view from our Condo balcony). But watching the changing light and shadow patterns from the ship was the most memorable moment in our dozen or so visits to the island.

Hank

We have seen the sun set in Oia and Fira (both excellent) but the best one of all was years ago when we were on the original Star Princess. We had tendered back to the ship and were in a top deck hot tub as the sun was setting on a gorgeous day. As the sun went down, the changes in the light reflected off the island (and Fira) was absolutely stunning. We can watch the sun set over the sea in many different places and see it nearly everyday when we are living in Puerto Vallarta (we have a western ocean view from our Condo balcony). But watching the changing light and shadow patterns from the ship was the most memorable moment in our dozen or so visits to the island.

Hank

I couldn't agree more. I have been fortunate enough to visit Santorini twice. Once sailing in at sunrise and once departing after sunset. The views from the ship are not to be understated! They're beautiful!

• 2 weeks later...
We are in port until 10PM so seeing it from the ship probably isn't an option. Perhaps we could find a local sunset cruise to take. Any other suggestions?

See my post above!

Actually, the best spot to see it is from the ship! The ship is anchored in the caldera and you have a 360 degree view of everything. As the sun sets, the walls of the surrounding cliffs glow beautifully.

See my post above!

Actually, the best spot to see it is from the ship! The ship is anchored in the caldera and you have a 360 degree view of everything. As the sun sets, the walls of the surrounding cliffs glow beautifully.

Watching it from the ship will mean missing time in port!

I am on the same cruise as you in October, and on the day we're in Santorini the sun will be setting around 6:45pm. We're in port from 2-10pm. While the view from the ship may be great, I don't want to be back onboard 3.5-4 hours early.

I am on the same cruise as you in October, and on the day we're in Santorini the sun will be setting around 6:45pm. We're in port from 2-10pm. While the view from the ship may be great, I don't want to be back onboard 3.5-4 hours early.

Completely understandable. Having been to Santorini a couple times before, a few hours in port is plenty for me!

Besides, I still firmly believe the best views come from the ship. So for me, it's worth it to be back onboard early.

• 3 weeks later...

I was in port until 10pm last October. We enjoyed a sunset dinner on a patio in Oia to watch the sunset. It too was beautiful. Oia is a not to be missed spot so don't think you should cut your port time short to see a sunset. Enjoy your cruise. I will be in Santorini again in May and this time I am in port until 5pm so seeing the sunset is unlikely at that time of day.

• 1 month later...

I have to laugh as I had heard so much about the gorgeous sunsets in Oia or even Fira, I wrote to the tour operator making sure we would have enough time yadda yadda, stopped to get a lite meal and drinks at a rooftop restaurant thinking this will be an amazing view ! Our group was having so much fun laughing and what not that we didn't realize not only had the sun set but it was on the other side of the bldg, we totally missed it!

I have to be honest, I would next time go back to the ship as recommended above because when we went to get to the lines for the cable car ( it was about (7:15pm) the line was1- 1 1/2 MILES long, no exaggeration ! We did not reach the tender until 8:30pm and the last tender was 9pm, next time I would head back earlier.

I have to laugh as I had heard so much about the gorgeous sunsets in Oia or even Fira, I wrote to the tour operator making sure we would have enough time yadda yadda, stopped to get a lite meal and drinks at a rooftop restaurant thinking this will be an amazing view ! Our group was having so much fun laughing and what not that we didn't realize not only had the sun set but it was on the other side of the bldg, we totally missed it!

I have to be honest, I would next time go back to the ship as recommended above because when we went to get to the lines for the cable car ( it was about (7:15pm) the line was1- 1 1/2 MILES long, no exaggeration ! We did not reach the tender until 8:30pm and the last tender was 9pm, next time I would head back earlier.

That's why you walk down! :D:D:D

I was in Santorini in October last year until 10pm too. We had rented a car and after driving around the island we parked in Oia and had made prior reservations at a rooftop patio for dinner and to watch the sunset at 6:35. We were able to watch the sunset into the sea as well as view the sunset reflecting on the island. It is truly spectacular. I wouldn't cut my time in port early; just get yourself a good perch from which to see. I will be in Santorini again at the end of May and I will probably have left the area by the time the sun sets.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi! I plan to spend a day in Santorini in April or early May. It will be my first cruise to Greece. I’ve checked this thread and now I understand that sunset in Santorini is something you obviously can’t miss. What else shall I do in Santorini? I’m just afraid to miss something very important. Thank you all for the ideas!

Jess :)

• 3 months later...
We are in port until 10PM so seeing it from the ship probably isn't an option. Perhaps we could find a local sunset cruise to take. Any other suggestions?

I had the same port time on my last visit. We had rented a car, drove around the island and had made prior reservations at a rooftop patio in Oia for an early dinner. Just google the sunset time in Santorini on the date you will be there and plan your day. The sunset was beautiful and we were high up to see the sun reflecting on the island. Magnificent! We then returned our rental and headed down the cable car to the tender. A wonderful day. I'm going back to Santorini but the ship will be leaving the port before sunset.

Enjoy your cruise.