Exchanging Money

ScrappyCruiser

You will get a lot of opinions on this subject. You can use ATM's once you get to Europe where you normally will get a better exchange rate but may pay a foreign exchange fee. Plus you need to find ATM's that are compatible with your ATM card (STAR, Citrus, etc.).

Most ships will also exchange dollars for euros. Their exchange rate is not usually the best but it is convenient. You can also cash travelers checks at the pursors desk for dollars for no cost on the ship as an alternative to ATM's. If you are an American Express card holder and can find an AmEx office in europe you can do dollar to euro exchanges there and get a better rate than just doing in a regular bank normally.

You can also go to your local bank here in the USA and have them get euros for you before the trip. We did this recently and go a decent exchange rate and no other additional charges. We did this so we didn't have to try to find an ATM before we went on a tour the first morning we arrived after a transatlantic cruise.

Check out the europe board and do a search there for money, euros, exchange, etc. and you will find numerous threads on this topic.

Have a great next cruise.

My advice.... take your card.

There are ATM machines everywhere, you can set a limit everyday (in case you lose it) and even with the 3% the banks are charging, you'll end paying less than in an exchange place (many banks don't want to buy dollars over).

I payed about 20% last year in Spain :mad: .

Hello Piper

Just go to http://www.aena.es/csee/Satellite?cid=1045569607647&pagename=Estandar%2FPage%2FAeropuerto&SMO=5&SiteName=BCN&p=1045569607399&c=Page&MO=3

Click on ver plano (3 options) and a map will pop up. Click on the bill and coins icon and you'll get the exact place where ATM machines are placed inside the Barcelona airport.

I hope this will help.

In Europe, ATM machines are plentiful and you shouldn't have a problem finding one. However, you would have a problem finding a bank willing to cash a traveler's check, even in a large city. I'd either buy Euros here and bring them with me or use the ATM card to draw them out in Europe.

Archived