Balcony Depth - Eurodam/Nieuw Amsterdam Midship Vs, Deck 5

POA1

Does anyone happen to know if the balconies on the Veranda rooms: 5055 - 5136 are regular depth or reduced depth? DFIL is traveling with us and will be paying the infamous 200% single supplement. I know that some of the balconies on Deck 5 aren't as deep, but I don't know which ones. At this point, we're pretty far out, so there are still plenty of cabin choices. I just don't want to stick him with the short balcony if we can help it. Thanks!

Yes, all of the balconies in the center section (5053-5138) are about 4.5 feet deep. There was a thread a while back where a CC member had someone on the ship measure, and their answer was 4.3 feet.

This is N.A. 5122

300s08w.jpg

Edited by jtl513

Agree, they are small. We had 2 cabins side by side last year. When the cabin steward open the connecting balcony door, you couldn't get out of your cabin without moving the door! The balcony door was literally larger than the stable partition (see pix above). I would say its at least 2' shorter than a normal balcony.

My consensus is avoid if possible. Location is great but that's about it. We were assigned ours because we were on guarantee. No more V (any V catagory) guarantees for us! I'm stickin' to SY or better!

Jeanne

IMO the best Verandah cabins on the Sig ships are the VA from 8078 to 8117. They are under the carpeted area of the Lido and have 7 ft deep balconies with a large overhang from the Lido giving extra shade, which we prefer. A second choice would be deck 8 below the cabanas - port on the E'dam or starboard on the NA.

Thanks for the answers everyone. Special thanks for the photos. My DFIL had a normal depth balcony on the Nieuw Amsterdam, but he prefers midships. I sent him the photo from this thread and one from the site that shall not be named* early this morning. I'm glad I did, because he prefers the deeper veranda. We've got a call in to our TA for a cabin change.

*It's HALfacts - I honestly tried to use the cabin reviews here on CruiseCritic, but there's no classification or easy way to find things. I don't think that kids today care about usability. ;)

Wow. Those are tiny! Fine for a morning coffee, maybe a light dinner. Forget suntanning!

You could stand up and rotate to tan. I think that you'd have to do hand stands to even out your lower legs and feet.

We've booked Verandah's with two other couples on the "Eurodam" & I just checked "the Facts" out but none of our cabins are listed..

Can anyone tell me if VD7081 to VD7095 & VD7082 to VD7094 on Rotterdam deck are the large or small balcony's ?

They look smaller to me than the balcony's at the other end of the ship..All the deck plans say is that our cabins are from 213 to 379 Sq. Ft.

Thanks & Happy Sailing Everyone..

After reading this thread I am getting worried. Balcony is very important to our cruise enjoyment. According to the deck plan, the balconies midship on deck 5 seem a regular size so what about our cabin 6115 on deck 6 which looks less deep than the aforementioned deck 5.

Anyone know?

Past final payment.

Edited by In Toronto

We've booked Verandah's with two other couples on the "Eurodam" & I just checked "the Facts" out but none of our cabins are listed..

Can anyone tell me if VD7081 to VD7095 & VD7082 to VD7094 on Rotterdam deck are the large or small balcony's ?

They look smaller to me than the balcony's at the other end of the ship..All the deck plans say is that our cabins are from 213 to 379 Sq. Ft.

Thanks & Happy Sailing Everyone..

Forgot to mention, we have also made the final payment..

And 7024?

...our cabin 6115 on deck 6 ...

All are 6 feet deep. You can't go by what they "look like" on the deck plans. :)

Edited by catl331

The Port and Starboard standard Veranda/Balcony on the Vista Class ships are mostly the same size 6 ft. deep by 9 ft. wide. The aft/stern verandas are deeper and vary depending on deck.

The exceptions to the 6 ft. depth are as follows:

Port and Starboard Veranda staterooms on Deck 4, Upper Promenade, are 7.5 ft. in depth.

Port Staterooms on Deck 5, Veranda, 5056 through 5138 and Starboard Staterooms 5053 through 5135 are only 4.5 ft. deep.

I do believe the same holds true on the Signature ships.

The exceptions to the 6 ft. depth are as follows:

I do believe the same holds true on the Signature ships.

Another exception on the Sig ships are the deck 8 VA from 8027 to 8114, which are 7 feet deep.

Try this size pic. They're OK for 1 or 2 people. IMO they were a good deal when they were priced as VE, but NOT as V (Eurodam/NA) or VA (Vistas)

nqe1b6.jpg

I agree on that one. We always took a VE cabin and found the balcony fine for sitting and watching the water. Our last cruise, after they changed the deck plans, it only cost us $90 to move into an SS cabin. Much larger balcony and double cruise days!

Just as a point of information - Our travel agent called his Holland America contact person who swore that all the balconies are the same depth.

Fortunately I had the photos. Who are you going to believe, the phone rep, or your lying eyes? ;)

Edited by POA1

Sure sounds like your TA's contact person has never been on a HAL ship. :eek::eek:

Shouldn't that be a job requirement?????

You'd be surprised. Also amazed. Perhaps dumbfounded. There's a lot of good information on CruiseCritic - and a fair amount of disinformation. The key is to know what's what.