Venice hotel

Does anyone know of a nice (deluxe/superior) hotel near the cruise terminal in Venice. We are only spending one night prior to cruise there and didn't know if it was worth going to stay on the Grand Canal for the one night dragging all of that luggage. We could stay close to the terminal and just water taxi over. Any suggestions appreciated.

I don't think there are any hotels right in the cruise terminal area. There are ones near the railroad station which is about 1/3 to 1/2 mile from the terminal. Here is a good web site with lots of information on Venice. If you check to the left side of the main page there is a list of hotels rated by 3-4-5 stars. Good hotels in Venice are very expensive and the really good ones are even more so. Good luck and have a great next cruise.

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/

I have not made my hotel reservations yet for Venice post cruise but I am thinking about the Sofitel Venice. You can take a regular land taxi from the airport to Piazala Roma taxi station, and from other poster experience it is a very short walk from there right to the hotel. I think that you can also get a taxi at the P.Roma which will take you to the cruise ship terminal.

The hotel has individually air conditioned rooms and breakfast is included. So far, the American Airlines website had a cheaper rate for when we are thinking about staying than the Sofitel website, and I may beat the AA rate when I hear back from another website next week. Go to www.ehi.com and email them a reservation request and see how they compare. I am also looking at the Londra Palace hotel in Venice, and their rate was cheaper than the hotel website and included tax and breakfast in the rate told to me over the phone.

If you are a Costco member, check and see if you like any of their hotels for Venice and their pricing. TripAdvisor sadly had very mixed reviews of the hotels Costco uses, but for one night it might not be a big deal.

If carting luggage is a concern and money is no object, you can always take a water taxi from the airport to the hotel, and also from the hotel to the cruise ship terminal.

Happy hunting!

I've done a lot of research, and I agree with the Sofitel for what you are looking for. For us...a triple is not as cheap as we hoped, so we chose a different hotel and location. We chose one that you can access by water taxi since it is a splurge yet a cheap, romantic, amazing "tour" so to speak I have read that some of the cruiselines use the Sofitel...I bet for the convenience as well!

Do keep in mind that a water taxi even for a short distance will still be at least 50euros...it seems that almost no matter the distance, it comes to 80-90 from what I have read. Land transportation is actually a lot less expensive from the airport to the ship (assuming your ship is at the dock by the railroad station), so the same must be true from your hotel to the dock by land.

Have fun and post when you get back so we can all update our info! :cool:

I'll add my two cents for the Sofitel...Other hotels in this area which I have stayed at are the Carlton and the Capri, both of which I enjoyed...All three of these hotels are close together in Santa Croce, across the Grand Canal from the RR Station and near the Piazza Roma...It is about as close as you get to the Cruise Terminal...

You can pick up a Vaporetti (public transportation boat) right there at the Grand Canal and take it to San Marco and Rialto...

Also, there are several VERY REASONABLY priced restaurants (including outdoor seating and fixed price multi-course menus) along Lista di Spagna the street that goes East from the RR Station paralleling the Grand Canal...Just follow your nose!

Good luck...

I can't understand how when embarking or disembarking a cruise, anyone can handle their own luggage! :confused: I know I over pack, but in my wildest dreams, we have never cruised with quantity of baggage that we could EVER take public transportation ANYWHERE let alone Venice! It must just be us, because I read about people on these boards all the time who can handle it! We aren't that old, but our hips, backs and knees just aren't that predictable after long flights! AND we sure don't want to start a trip with any of the above out of whack!

I think that is what makes Venice hotel selection so important to me! We are biting the bullet and taking the water taxis!

I have great admiration for those who can travel light! I'm working on it, but doubt I will ever get there.

4 cruisers, I also agree with you. I mean for two weeks you have to take a certain amount of stuff with you. We usually end up with two suitcases each plus a carry-on each. I guess we will end of taking the water taxi, and I hope it can drop us off at our hotel door. We haven't booked the hotel yet, but wonder if anyone has stayed at Cavalletto E Doge. I believe it is owned by Best Western now and is supposely in a good location.

After I posted on your thread I found the thread by Andym called "Finding a good hotel price. Please read it and my posts as you save a ton of money by checking it out. I booked a 5star hotel on Lido- the Westin Excelsior for next June for only 212 Euros a night-and that includes breakfast and taxes! The lowest price I have seen for that property was well over 400 Euros a night!

Good luck!

Travbee,

We stayed at the Cavaletto one night before our September 7th 2005 sailing. It was expensive at 239 euro, including excellent breakfast buffet and taxes, but the location is also very good, just behind the Piazza St. Marco (top left corner). We took the Alilaguna boat from the airport at 10 Euro/person, but got off one stop too early, resulting in a longer walk. Get off at the second Piazza St. Marco stop. The room was comfortable and service was good.

We plan on leaving two bags at the luggage check in the Piazza Roma and just taking one bag to our hotel for the two nights that we have pre-cruise. that way we don't have to schlepp everything over bridges etc. We can take the bus from the airport to P Roma and then carry on to our hotel.

Thanks for the info Mark on the hotel. We did book the Cavalletto E Doge this afternoon even though rates have gone up some. Regarding the Alilaguna, is it marked in the airport where to go to catch these. This is the private water taxi, right? and is it hard to get one of these, such as long lines, etc. Also were you able to get to the cruise terminal from the hotel the next day easily? Sorry so many questions. Thanks

travbee,

here's a link to the Alilaguna routes.

http://www.alilaguna.it/?funzione=123&contesto=2&modo=1&bodyonly=1

It's not a taxi, but more like a bus. You can take either the Red or Blue line. It takes a little over an hour, and think of it as a nice canal tour after your long flight. We didn't take a water taxi, which is much more expensive, but will get you there faster and may drop you off right at the hotel.

After you get your luggage in Venice you can exit the terminal walk to the left on the sidewalk until you get to the watertaxi dock. Or you can wait up to 10 minutes right in front of the terminal (well marked sign) for a free shuttle which makes a circle and drops you off at the dock. You can buy a ticket for 10 euro on the boat, or in advance at the terminal, near the car rental booths. Just ask for the Alilaguna ticket desk.

You get off at San Marco (not San Zaccaria, which looks like it's almost the San Marco stop). You roll your luggage from the boat, go to the right past some souvenir stands, then left into the big square past a cafe and the tower, then turn to a left diagonal almost to the end of the square. There is an alley with an Orange telephone sign above your head and a modern art store. You walk through this lane a few steps, a small 4 stair bridge over a canal and you reach the entrance of the hotel.

To get to the ship at the port you can reverse the above. There is a boat service for 5 Euro/person to the cruise terminal, which will take your luggage. Celebrity offers a free shuttle from the same place, which you can take if you have no luggage (i.e. after your board the ship). If you want to save some money, one person can travel with all the luggage for 5 Euro, and the other members of the family/group can go for free on the Celebrity shuttle.

A water taxi takes you directly to your destination. The Alilaguna is a boat that takes many people at the same time. It makes a few pre-determined stops and people get off and go to their separate destinations. That's why it's more like a bus, which travels on water.

Archived