Different and diverse, or the comfort of consistency?

For those who have cruised Carnival more than once are your expectations such that you are looking forward to the comfort of the "same" experience over and over again or are you OK with changes and diversity from cruise to cruise and ship to ship?

Personally I like the fact that Carnival continues to change and that my experiences of every cruise and every ship may vary. I try, really hard, to board every trip with a "blank slate", as though I were a first time cruiser. I try not to "compare" my new experience with other sailings on different ships or itineraries, and work hard to see Carnival for what my current sailing has and not think about the has nots.

It doesn't bother me that the ambiance of a trip is different or that ship A doesn't have what I loved on ship B or that what I did on ship A wasn't available on ship B. I try and rotate my dining times, I try and gear my activities to what is offered not what isn't, and I try and keep my expectations from clouding my judgment about how I am enjoying this trip.

What about you?

The day I stop enjoying change and diversity in all aspects of my life will be the day that Roxanne is tossing my ashes out of the door on Deck 0 of a Carnival Cruise ship. The "same old, same old" is just that. Might as well sit in your recliner and watch re-runs of "Leave it to Beaver" if you cannot enjoy change and growth. The 'same old, same old" is a waste of time and life.

Honestly, I enjoy the comfort of consistency more than change and innovation, when it comes to cruising. That isn't to say I don't like new experiences on a cruise ship from time to time, just that I've enjoyed the cruise experience as it has manifested itself from 2004 until present. I don't want it to morph into something drastically different. I like some of the things that have been added... not all though. And I miss some of the things that have been removed. I like the "returning home" feeling I get with Carnival each time I board a ship. When that feeling turns into "where the **** am I," I will be saddened that something special my wife and I have enjoyed together since our honeymoon has disappeared. That is my opinion on the matter. I know some feel differently. I also know the cruise experience will continue to evolve, or perhaps devolve (as in the case of entertainment in the main showroom) whether I like it or not. I just hope cruising doesn't become something unrecognizable. I don't think it will in my lifetime. I hope I turn out to be right about that.

Edited by Towel Critter

I enjoy admiring all the different and diverse luggage and apparatus that people bring on board with them. It gives me a chance to converse with those around my family as we anticipate the fun of the cruise ahead. Breaking the ice over all the cribs, playpens and multiple shoulder bags and sacks of sundries always put a smile on our faces.

To me, I expect the comfort of consistency. I know the rooms will be nice, waiters friendly, food delicious....but I love finding the different and diverse. The fantasy was my least favorite, it was just too small and crowded. I loved the Dream for its big areas and lots to see and do. The shows were better on the fantasy, but the cruise director was fabulous on the Glory.

All in all, it's an adventure. Even though the fantasy was my least favorite, I would do her again given the chance. Any day at sea, is way better than a day at home and work!!!!

For those who have cruised Carnival more than once are your expectations such that you are looking forward to the comfort of the "same" experience over and over again or are you OK with changes and diversity from cruise to cruise and ship to ship?

Personally I like the fact that Carnival continues to change and that my experiences of every cruise and every ship may vary. I try, really hard, to board every trip with a "blank slate", as though I were a first time cruiser. I try not to "compare" my new experience with other sailings on different ships or itineraries, and work hard to see Carnival for what my current sailing has and not think about the has nots.

It doesn't bother me that the ambiance of a trip is different or that ship A doesn't have what I loved on ship B or that what I did on ship A wasn't available on ship B. I try and rotate my dining times, I try and gear my activities to what is offered not what isn't, and I try and keep my expectations from clouding my judgment about how I am enjoying this trip.

What about you?

I agree with everything you said except we don't vary our eating time for dinner in the MDR...we've always had late seating. It's suits us perfectly. Even if we do a steakhouse or other eating venue...it's always at 8p if that time is available. The only exception is the rare times we decide to eat in the buffet for dinner...then we eat when we're hungry.

Like you Sweet Dutch Girl...we just go with the flow and make the best of every cruise. Never had a bad one yet and I've been cruising sine 1965! Started cruising with the DH in 1972 and with the DS in 2004. The three of us will be cruising together in Dec. once again! Can't wait for another new adventure!

Edited by mousey

I have only cruised NCL (primarily out of convenience - Dawn sails right from Boston ) but I hope you don't mind me chiming in -

I've enjoyed both of our previous cruises and have kind of come to appreciate the "sameness" - so much so that we booked last year's cabin again for our upcoming cruise:)

Again sorry to intrude on the Carnival board but hey the way I look at it - a cruise is a cruise ;)

I think this is a great topic regardless of cruise line! I'm glad someone else chimed in.

I don't have much experience to speak from, but in general, I am in the middle but leaning towards consistent. I like comfort and knowing what to expect..... But also like new experiences!! I think so long as my standards are met, I do like some new things. But there is something to be said for knowing your routine and being able to get in your vacation groove right from the start. From my cruise on Liberty and going to Splendor, I am bummed there will be no Guys burgers, Red Frog, or American Table menu ( i seem to be in the minority, but i liked it!!) But on Splendor, I am looking forward to the aft pool being "open" - ie you can see off the back of the ship instead of it being closed in. So - final answer - for me, I like a little of both!

I like consistency. It is fun to try new ships, but when I find one I like, I tend to stick with it. I have been on Glory 5 times and when I go again it will be on that ship again I'm sure. I enjoy getting to know the crew. It ends up feeling like home and I can actually relax. I don't feel the need to go running around trying to discover all the new to me things on the ship.

I cruise mostly to unwind and by going where I have been before it is more enjoyable to me. Not to say that I won't ever try another ship because I will, but right now I'm happy to see the same familiar faces and get the same excellent service time and time again. It's like seeing family. The Glory is my vacation home to me. And until I get bored of it, I see no reason to change it up.

Edited by firemanbobswife

What a great question!

It is all about diversity. Our first cruise was 1991 and we have only hit the same port once (and saw the same port twice in 4 days in that one case). I want to see different things and have different adventures. If I ever get to the point that I know what's on the menu without having to look at it, that will be a problem.

I enjoy cruise vacations, but they aren't my favorite type of vacation. Every couple years we'll do two or three close together, then none for a couple years. If it doesn't feel like an adventure when I board the ship, then I know I'm ready for something else. There are too many places is the world to see to limit ourselves to the narrowness of Carnival cruises or even cruises in general.

I would love to sail on more different lines, but whenever we are in the mood for a cruise, we always find that Carnival can't be beat on price for the places we'd like to see. So we would diversify even more, but the cost almost forces us to return to the familiarity of Carnival. I would pay more for a different experience, but not much more!