Dog on cruise is better dressed than many passengers :)

First - we have NO issue with service dogs. I'll make that clear up front.

As others have said, the problem is with those that cheat the system. On a cruise a few years ago there was a dog traveling with a couple. Speaking to one of them, he said the dog was a service dog that detected seizures. OK....no problem. BUT, as the cruise progressed we noticed that sometimes the dog was with one of the couple, then at other times with the other half of the couple. So who's having the seizure here....#1 or #2? I suspect this was a case of not wanting to leave Fluffy at home. Cute dog, but I don't think it belonged on the ship.

My original post was not to start a debate about service animals. No one can deny that they provide a worthwhile service to many people and provide that service in a variety of ways. My bewilderment was in the way the service animal was dressed up and shown off.

M

Just returned from the 8/23 Freedom cruise. Cruise was wonderful. Just want to comment on a lady who had a small dog in a stroller. I saw her several times during the week. She was happy to show the dog to anyone.

We saw her with her dog in the stroller for the D+ upper tier/Pinnacle meal with officers and she even dressed the dog in a sailor outfit! There were about 30 people in attendance, with open seating and everyone avoided her table until it was the only one with remaining seats.

I've been on cruises with service dogs ( mostly for sight or mobility impaired individuals) but this was the first time I had seen a dog dressed up.

Marci.

My original post was not to start a debate about service animals. No one can deny that they provide a worthwhile service to many people and provide that service in a variety of ways. My bewilderment was in the way the service animal was dressed up and shown off.

M

I went to re-read your OP, and included it here as well. I believe many of us (including myself) thought you were disturbed that the dog was not really a 'service animal' even though that should be the only reason a dog would be able to accompany a cruiser onboard; not that you were disturbed that the dog was 'dressed up'.

Therefore the ensuing exchanges came.