Best place to buy real vanilla in Cozumel? Is Pancho's Backyard still good 4 lunch??

RecoveryDude

Hi! Going back to Cozumel after not being there for 10 years! Just curious where the best place is to buy "real mexican vanilla" - Not concerned that it be "cheap", I just want it to be authentic, so even if I pay more, I'm okay with that cause it's for gifts.

Also, anyone ate at "Pancho's Backyard" recently ? I used to eat there back in the day ... it was a "recommended" restaurant when I used to sail Carnival ... is it still "Recommended"? Still good food?

I think there is a store connected to Panchos (Los Cinco Soles maybe?) and I think they might have had vanilla ... can't really remember.

Any thoughts you have would help - We are doing Mr Sanchos for Jet Skiing in the morning then need somewhere to eat (we are not doing all inclusive at Mr Sanchos cause we don't drink alcohol).

Thanks!

Jeff aka Recovery Dude:)

We usually buy our vanilla in Los Cinco Soles, the store where Panchos Backyard is located. We have had lunch at both the Panchos on the pier and the one downtown and just prefer the atmosphere in the downtown restaurant more. Food and drinks were fine at both locations, but a bit pricey compared to other restaurants.

We prefer La Mission Restaurant for lunch. We found it one cold January day in Cozumel when we were just looking for a place to get inside and out of the wind. Food and service was great. We have been back several times since when our port day was not beach weather.

If it is a good beach day then we have our lunch at Mr. Sanchos. We just grab the vanilla at the store on the pier because if we have been at the beach we have very little time to shop. Everyone we have given it to has raved about the vanilla.

Edited by DebJ14

We usually buy our vanilla in Los Cinco Soles, the store where Panchos Backyard is located. We have had lunch at both the Panchos on the pier and the one downtown and just prefer the atmosphere in the downtown restaurant more. Food and drinks were fine at both locations, but a bit pricey compared to other restaurants.

We prefer La Mission Restaurant for lunch. We found it one cold January day in Cozumel when we were just looking for a place to get inside and out of the wind. Food and service was great. We have been back several times since when our port day was not beach weather.

If it is a good beach day then we have our lunch at Mr. Sanchos. We just grab the vanilla at the store on the pier because if we have been at the beach we have very little time to shop. Everyone we have given it to has raved about the vanilla.

Where is La Mission Reataurant?

I always buy my vanilla in the duty free shop that you walk through after you get off the ship, providing you sail Carnival. Their vanilla is the best cooking vanilla and I trust the quality. You can buy a big bottle and they also come in smaller gift size that make wonderful presents for those who didn't come with you.

I looked for vanilla everywhere, and when I read the ingredients they all just listed the ingredients as "natural flavoring". So I finally gave up, bought a bottle of vodka and added my own vanilla beans (from eBay) when I got home.

I have only been to Pancho's Backyard and it is always very good.

Where is the Pancho's with the beach access? I assume there are two locations because the "backyard" doesn't have a beach. How do you get there?

Several locations sell the "real" vanilla...just make sure it's the Aztec vanilla. I buy it every time I'm in Cozumel and it is aromatic, potent and keeps well.

Just be mindful not to use it (or much of it) in white icing...the vanilla is a very rich mahogany color and give s a slightly tan tinge to whatever you add it to...