Best way to cruise w family of 5?

We enjoyed our first cruise by ourselves, and now want to take our three kids with us. They're 11, 8 and 7. Everything I've seen in the brochures quotes prices based on double occupancy, then has a price for 3rd/4th guests, but what's the best way to cruise if you want to take a family like ours? Are there particular ships or lines that accommodate this better? Is it going to cost a fortune?

It could get even more complicated if we want to go with extended family, but I'll start here. :)

Michael

It really depends on ship, cabin preference, and itinerary. We put all five of us in a balcony cabin on Carnival Victory last year - DH and I in the beds, DS1 on the sofabed, DS2 in the oull-down bunk, and DS3 in a rollaway. Not all ships accommodate 5 in a cabin; on Conquest, we were in a balcony cabin and kids were in an OV (booked an inside and were upgraded). Conquest (and ships in the Spirit/Conquest class) won't take five in a cabin, but the older ships willl. If you want to try five in a cabin where permitted, it's doable; you just need to be willing to juggle a bit. Worked out fine for us on Victory.

We are a family of five and chose 2 cabins. Our kids are 13,11 & 9 and in my opinion mature enough to stay across the hall from us. If you are comfortable with it and think the kids could handle it, look into 2 cabins. You could try to get adjoining ones.

I would consider a short cruise (4 or 5 nights) from a port close to home because the first time we took our kids cruising, my son got seasick and has never sailed since.

NY has 5 night cruises to Bermuda on Royal Caribbean's Explorer of the Seas.

Boston has 5 night cruises on Royal Caribbean's Enchantment of the Seas.

LA has 3 and 4 night cruises to Catalina, San Diego, and Mexico on Royal Caribbean and Carnival Cruiselines.

Florida has 3, 4, and 5 night cruises to the Bahamas and Western Caribbean on Royal Caribbean and Carnival out of Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, Port Canaveral, and Tampa.

If everything goes well on your first family cruise, then I would recommend Norwegian for a longer cruise because of freestyle dining--where you can eat at whatever time you want each evening at your choice of any type restaurant from fast food/Chinese to Italian or a steak house. Our last NCL ship had ten different restaurants. Norwegian Dawn out of NY even had a movie theater onboard. That was very popular on sea days.

Good Luck!

Mary

Plymouth, MA

With children as young as yours, I don't think two completely separate cabins is a good idea. If you can find two with connecting doors, that would work great, but remember that you'll be paying the full fares for four persons if you book two cabins---if you all stay in one cabin, your kids get the greatly discounted fares. Remember if you get two rooms that don't have connecting doors, it's very easy for anyone with a master key to get into those rooms and with little ones, I'd be worried.

Or go with two adjoining rooms. We did that on our last few cruises with our two sons, now 13 and 17. It suited us perfectly. Sometimes you can get a great price on inside cabins which would make this more affordable. It certainly gives you more privacy and two bathrooms!!!

I know certain Carnival ships will allow you to book 5 people into a stateroom.

Royal Caribbean has Family Ocean View Cabins that will hold a family of 5, as well as Royal Family Suites, and when the new Freedom of the Seas comes out next year, it will have family staterooms available in all categories, including inside, ocean view, and promenade view.

Also, RCI's Voyager class ships have a few of sets of rooms where you can do an adjoining inside and balcony at the very front and back of the ships. This would allow you to have a view and still have your kids next to you, for less.

I just cruised CCL Elation with four kids, two of whom are teenagers and BIG. It was a blast- there was definitely enough room. We used two twin beds, the two bunks, and a rollaway-type bed for my 7 year old. In your case I guess you would put the twins together for you and your spouse. There was more than enough storage for a 7 day trip.

The 3rd, 4th and 5th passenger pay a cheaper fare. If you want two rooms, you book one for you and two kids, and one for your spouse and another kid, then switch people around as you see fit.

If you want to save money and have a good time just use the one cabin. It is a bonding experience and you will have a lot of laughs. If you want to read my Elation review, here it is...

http://www.cruisereviews.com/CarnivalCruiseLines/Elation79.htm

I had four sons with me, 15, 13, 11 and 7. We were dying laughing half the time we were in the cabin. I have never had so much fun in my life. There was some dragging of one kid off the top bunk by another (by the hair, socks, CCL lanyard, etc), and of course immediate removal of the ladder the second someone tried to get down it, and I think one kid tried to jump between bunks (not easy with head clearance of about 18 inches) but there was definitely enough room. The suitcases slide under the bed, there are two closets, shelves, full medicine chest, and four good sized drawers.

If I had a spouse with me I might have thought it was too small. Don't know. maybe it's because I have five sons (one stayed home) so this actually seemed like I was traveling light.

At any rate, the savings was HUGE, so I would have done it anyway.

Princess has a Family Suite that will sleep five. It has two separate bedrooms, two bathrooms, with one of those a nice master bath, a large living area between the two, and a very large balcony. It allows you to have everyone in the same cabin and still the parents have privacy with a room that has a door that closes. So this is another option if you are uncomfortable putting the kids in a separate room due to their ages.

Also, you asked if this would cost a fortune. There are ways to save money. Unless your children are home-schooled or are in a year round school with non-traditional vacation times, you will be limited to sailing during peak times, which are more expensive than other times of the year.

A good way to save is a group cruise. We have a Cruise Crtic group cruise sailing on August 19, 2006 on the Caribbean Princess. In addition to great group rates, there is also $50 per cabin shipboard credit and other amenities! Plus if you book by September 30, you can book with a reduced deposit of only $100 per person and also receive a Princess coupon book!!!

We will have a sailaway party and a meet and mingle and there will be an opportunity to share shore excursions! However, there is no requirement to do anything with the group if you just want to take advantage of the pricing and amenties--its ok! Thre is also no group dining--you eat when you want. You can do as little or as much as you want with the group.

Our group cruise has their own forum and this gives your kids a chance to meet other kids before we even board, so when they get onboard, they'll already know some other kids to hang with--something that will make your kids more excited about the cruise. Plus Princess has great kids programs, including the ability to have your kids eat with the kids program on formal night so that the parents can have the opportunity for a private dinner and alone time.

The ship will be sailing the fantastic Eastern Caribbean itinerary--St. Thomas, St. Martin, and the beautiful Princess Cay! Lots of fun, activities, and great shopping plus usually no tendering except at Princess Cay makes this a very desirable itinerary!!

The Caribbean Princess is the only seven day cruise Princess is offering in the Caribbean next summer and HAL and Celebrity aren't positioning any ships in the Caribbean next summer. So availability for the Caribbean next summer is going to be much more limited than this year and you should book early, especially if you want one of the more desirable cabins.

For more information, click on the links below or email me at kacruiser@ev1.net..

Archived