whoopeewoo

We found Gibraltar itself a bit too far to walk in for my husband, although plenty from the ship were walking in. I didn't quite get there myself when checking how far the walk was, (had to get back for a ship's tour ) but there are a couple of shops to look into, and I popped into the Seaman's Mission for a quick drink on the way back. We haven't done your other ports.

Why is everyone so negative about Tangier on your own. Can't you just tell the guide want to be's no?

Its not that easy!!!!!

We arranged with a driver to take us to the Petit Souk - he reluctantly agreed although spent the whole journey trying to talk us into a tour. When we reached the square he didn't want to stop the car and continued to say he would take us on a tour instead. We are definitely not rude people but had to get quite aggressive to make him let us out which was a somewhat unsettling experience to say the least.

Nightmare taxi journey over we spent the rest of the day wandering around on our own and walked back to the ship with no problems - didn't feel at all hassled in the souk/back streets.

Glad to be able to say we have been to Tangier but would stay on board in future as it was a big disappointment compared with other North African cities we have visited.

I fully echo negative sentiments about Tangiers.

Without going into too much detail we were hassled by a "want to be guide" who persistently would not take no for answer until he was bluntly told in plain clear language to go away (or words to that effect) and leave us alone.

That and the constant efforts of local street vendors to sell us whatever was on offer made it a very forgettable experience all round.

If we ever have the misfortune to call there again we will stay onboard, or choose a ship's tour if one appeals to us.

No doubt there will be others who didn't have quite such a bad day there, however the above was our experience.

Edited by WeeCountyMan

We walked into Gibraltar but found lots of taxi's waiting to run you back to the ship. They charged about 2 euro's per person and filled up the mini bus. After all the walking in the heat it was well worth the cost.

Yes you can walk into Cartagina from the ship, about 10 minutes. A pleasant walk along the waterfront.

There's a naval museum in Cartagena (it's an opertional base for the Spanish Armada) which is free admission, although they do expect a few Euros in the donations box.

Very interesting if you are into that sort of thing, I discovered the Spanish were pioneers of early submarine development - all exhibits have both Spanish and English descriptions.