Amsterdam October 2nd - Foreign currency

simonaitch

Will the ship have foreign currency exchange for the various ports of call on this Southern Pacific cruise?

My research shows we will need the following currencies:

Samoan Tala

Fijian $

Tongan $

New Zealand $

French Pacific Franc

and of course US $

Regards,

Simon

Will the ship have foreign currency exchange for the various ports of call on this Southern Pacific cruise?

My research shows we will need the following currencies:

Samoan Tala

Fijian $

Tongan $

New Zealand $

French Pacific Franc

and of course US $

Regards,

Simon

The ship will definitely have US $ - no question at all.

As to the other currencies - sometimes they will have them and sometimes not.

It depends upon availability as they have to procure them at port.

They make no claim to have the currencies, but I have found that they have had euros, DK, etc.

Here's the thing - first of all don't count on the ship having it. Be prepared to either come with some or hit an ATM right away.

The ship's exchange rate is high. If you only need $25 worth, no biggie, but if you need significant dollars I would rather buy it from my bank (depending upon how the exchange rate is swinging) or get it at an ATM for the better exchange rate.

We are doing a South Pacific cruise next year and I will not rely on the ship for my foreign currencies, other than to possibly exchange some U.S. T/C's for U.S. for tips, etc.

Have been to all these ports and unless you are taking a public bus, you will do just fine with US$$ so no need to exchange for local currency. Most prices were listed in local currency and US$$. We have taken taxis, bought several things, taken local tours and used US$$ for all. Not sure the ship will have these local currencies as US$$ are so widely accepted (and often preferred) in these ports but you can ask HAL customer service.

We have been to Noumea and Fiji and they will take Australian $$$ quite happily. I'm thinking that the other pacific countries will not be any different as they get a large volume of Australian and New Zealand cruisers/tourists

Edited by Lotsasmiles