12 Day Grand Mediterranean Review on the Norwegian Spirit

nolatravelgirl

I've only found 1 plug US110 in bathroom only (US based hotel chains). Some hotels have "loaner" converters/adapters.

Tyskie, could you please share with us the number of countries you have visited and the number of nights you have stayed in hotels. Perhaps your sample size is larger and supports your hypothesis. I can share that I have traveled to over 35 countries with over 1,000 nights in hotels.

Like I said before I would never depend on finding a US plugs in foreign hotels but I can say that I stayed at two European hotels on my Med cruise this summer and they both had at least one US plug. The hotels were Le Meridien in Barcelona and the Frankfurt Airport Sheraton.

Tyskie, could you please share with us the number of countries you have visited and the number of nights you have stayed in hotels. Perhaps your sample size is larger and supports your hypothesis. I can share that I have traveled to over 35 countries with over 1,000 nights in hotels.

Like I said before I would never depend on finding a US plugs in foreign hotels but I can say that I stayed at two European hotels on my Med cruise this summer and they both had at least one US plug. The hotels were Le Meridien in Barcelona and the Frankfurt Airport Sheraton.

Definitely not the experienced traveler that you are. Was in Spain & Italy. Yes definitely should have had a converter/adapter. I don't have a lot of tech stuff. Would go with your experience & recommendations :-)

Loved your review - we were on the Island Princess & did a lot of the same tours or tour companies.

Part 58

We finished up our chocolate desserts and headed up to Galaxy of the Stars to watch the Quest game show. This is a fun team style game where you team is given a card with your team number and they CD will call out some random item and someone from your team needs to run the item. The first 5 teams to reach the CD get a point. It is wild and crazy and some of the items requested could be considered PG-13 so not the most family friendly event of the cruise. Some of the items included a bra, a condom, thong, etc.

We met up with some of our cruise critic friends and were given number 69 and had a great table near the front which is strategically where you want to sit so you don’t have far to run.

21617023776_66e4e06816.jpg

We got back to the room and had the obligatory towel animal. I always find this to be a strange custom and usually just move them out of the way.

21616245866_cf991c42da.jpg

However I will say on my Seabourn cruise for my birthday last summer the cabin attendant outdid herself with this towel art. I nearly freaked out and was about to go all Bruce Lee on it when I walked in and saw this in the room. In the Seabourn vs NCL battle that Seabourn wins out on this one. 

14201200567_fc9518a23a.jpg

The strangest towel art was the one we got on our departure from Rome. I cannot for the life of me figure out what the heck it is.

20606640934_b2e56b389c.jpg

Off to bed we went and thankfully we were able to sleep in a bit as the arrival into Venice the next day is in the afternoon!

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like a sword.

Venice is great. Spent 3 nights at the:

Hotel Arlecchino

T.H. Arlecchino srl · Fondamenta Delle Burchielle, Santa Croce 390 · 30135 Venezia, Italia

Tel. +39 041 710723 Fax +39 041 710965 · P.IVA 03088240274 ·

info@hotelarlecchino.com

Very good included breakfast. Free WiFi.

At PiaRoma, very easy access from people mover. One small bridge to cross. Cab to drop off 3 minute walk was 20 EURO. Can take people mover about 8 minute walk if you can handle your own bags. Had porter take bags to airport bus last morning (5 euro per bag), and express bus (20 minutes) about 8 euro.

Used vaporetto pass for multiple trips.

Last night on ship walked to San Marco, and took Vaporetto to Pia Roma. Great twilight pictures. Stay in front or back. They give up seats to those over 70, or in need.

Did Murano trip using free express boat arranged by hotel. Made arrangements with hotel on Friday at the 2pm excursion, Dropped bags off on Saturday, as rooms not ready that early. Free glassblowing exhibition, and tour of high end products. No pressure to buy. Walked around the Island to the Vaporetto pier to Burano. This island noted for colorful houses, and lace. They also have a leaning tower, so ask where it is. Took boat to Torricelli, but not much there. Boats back to Pia Roma.

Had Dodge palace secret itinerary tour reserved, which was very interesting. Followed several locals who entered St. Marks thru the exit in back, so avoided crowds, (no charge to enter St, Marks either enterance). Restaurants very expensive in that area, but several had outdoor music in the plaza in the evening.

Take boat across to San Giorgio island. Go up tower for great photos. Also usually have art exhibits.

Took a gondola ride, fixed rates, in the Ghetto Area with Lucky Luca. Excellent reviews on trip adviser. His family has license #3, several generations old. Great tour without the crowds. Only saw one other gondola at the start. Like having Venice to yourself. He also sang some romantic songs.

Ghetto visit- took tour and:

Eat at Gam Gam restaurant in the ghetto, old world Jewish/Italian cooking. Spent a fortune at Davids gift shop, on Murano glass, at much lower prices.

Also bought our grandaughter a painting of her torah portion for much less than the web price at the Michal Meron Art Gallery

Walked back thru streets to our hotel to drop off bundles.

Venice is best seen by just walking, get a map at from any newspaper stand. Signs all over pointing to Riealto. Sam Marco, Pia Roma, so you will eventually get to your goal. Plenty of clean public toilets.

Had a small duffle about 10" x 21" which came in handy for all the stuff we bought. British Airline did not make a issue on the carryons.

Looks like a sword.

Venice is great. Spent 3 nights at the:

Hotel Arlecchino

T.H. Arlecchino srl · Fondamenta Delle Burchielle, Santa Croce 390 · 30135 Venezia, Italia

Tel. +39 041 710723 Fax +39 041 710965 · P.IVA 03088240274 ·

info@hotelarlecchino.com

Very good included breakfast. Free WiFi.

At PiaRoma, very easy access from people mover. One small bridge to cross. Cab to drop off 3 minute walk was 20 EURO. Can take people mover about 8 minute walk if you can handle your own bags. Had porter take bags to airport bus last morning (5 euro per bag), and express bus (20 minutes) about 8 euro.

Used vaporetto pass for multiple trips.

Last night on ship walked to San Marco, and took Vaporetto to Pia Roma. Great twilight pictures. Stay in front or back. They give up seats to those over 70, or in need.

Did Murano trip using free express boat arranged by hotel. Made arrangements with hotel on Friday at the 2pm excursion, Dropped bags off on Saturday, as rooms not ready that early. Free glassblowing exhibition, and tour of high end products. No pressure to buy. Walked around the Island to the Vaporetto pier to Burano. This island noted for colorful houses, and lace. They also have a leaning tower, so ask where it is. Took boat to Torricelli, but not much there. Boats back to Pia Roma.

Had Dodge palace secret itinerary tour reserved, which was very interesting. Followed several locals who entered St. Marks thru the exit in back, so avoided crowds, (no charge to enter St, Marks either enterance). Restaurants very expensive in that area, but several had outdoor music in the plaza in the evening.

Take boat across to San Giorgio island. Go up tower for great photos. Also usually have art exhibits.

Took a gondola ride, fixed rates, in the Ghetto Area with Lucky Luca. Excellent reviews on trip adviser. His family has license #3, several generations old. Great tour without the crowds. Only saw one other gondola at the start. Like having Venice to yourself. He also sang some romantic songs.

Ghetto visit- took tour and:

Eat at Gam Gam restaurant in the ghetto, old world Jewish/Italian cooking. Spent a fortune at Davids gift shop, on Murano glass, at much lower prices.

Also bought our grandaughter a painting of her torah portion for much less than the web price at the Michal Meron Art Gallery

Walked back thru streets to our hotel to drop off bundles.

Venice is best seen by just walking, get a map at from any newspaper stand. Signs all over pointing to Riealto. Sam Marco, Pia Roma, so you will eventually get to your goal. Plenty of clean public toilets.

Had a small duffle about 10" x 21" which came in handy for all the stuff we bought. British Airline did not make a issue on the carryons.

Thanks for all this!!

@nolatravelgirl-I'm holding you to that weekend posting!

• 3 weeks later...

Day 12 – Venice, Italy

Part 59

Today was finally Venice day! Sadly this would be our last sail into a port for the cruise. Knowing that we would have to put our suitcases out that evening we took our sweet time getting ready this morning and went ahead and packed our big bag since this evening we were taking ANOTHER food tour.

Our bags were packed so we headed up top to the pool deck so we could watch a beautiful cruise into port. The cruise director was right in that this is a sight you should miss! In typical Spirit fashion there was a large buffet and kettle drum cooker going on the pool deck to feed the masses.

21022064373_05341e091a.jpg

21183394392_122564f3f2.jpg

The cruise port is a bit of walk/boat ride away from the historical part of town. We opted for NCL transfer via waterbus (22 USD if memory saves me) to St Mark’s Square as it seemed like a good idea. In the end if wasn’t ideal for us since we were taking a food tour and it ended up being quite a stretch. Had I known what I know now I would have taken the public water taxi that is at the end of the People Mover at the bus depot.

The Spirit I think docked at the furthest pier so we had a LONG walk to the boat/bus. I did not see any type of shuttle/wheelchair service that would take you from the boat dock to the ship so be prepared for a hike. The boat ride over to St. Mark’s Square was approximately 20 minutes.

Here is a photo coming into via boat

20571029274_08e8ab04e3.jpg

Photo from the bridge

21006857749_842dac8567.jpg

Photo of the Square

21006726249_01a400eaa1.jpg

The square was packed with folks. The restaurants on the square were crazy expensive so I would plan on skipping those. For those with mobility issues realize that there are pedestrian step bridges between the drop off point and the Square. Time was getting tight by the time we made it to the square so we headed off in search of our food tour meeting point. The water bus system is rather confusing. Not only do you need to know what pier but whether or not it is A, B, or C. We ended up on the wrong one and had to do a bit of backtracking but we were pretty much on time for our tour with Urban Adventures. This tour was much cheaper than our Barcelona food tour, but it soon became readily apparent as to why. Instead of being a small group there were 12 of us per group and there were multiple guides with groups of 12 all meeting at the same spot. The guides were taking us to all the same spots just in a different order which made it seem just a little less special.\

We must have started at the furthest point as we walked for a long time and it didn’t help that it was raining which made me tired and cranky. We finally made it to our first stop

21631037642_86d0137720.jpg

Part 62

21005314608_13b92b8ba9.jpg

Yummy cookies that are supposed to represent the canals. 21005292798_fcf1733822.jpg

21005100070_89c41c5584.jpg

We set off to find our tender back to the ship and got to walk in the light of this dark inky cloudy sky

21005106960_4fd0968045.jpg

I did make one brief stop at a makeup store where I picked up some fun eyeshadow sticks, glitter eyeliner for New Year’s Eve and a new contour and blush brush.

21579035010_48b3e06b9d.jpg

The tender wasn’t crowded and we were back onboard in no time, but even though we had eaten all those little snacks I wanted something else to eat so I followed my nose down to the Blue Lagoon for a cup of chicken noodle soup and some chicken wings! They were quite tasty and better than I was expecting!

21022971203_7029356e2e.jpg

Tomorrow would be a sad day as we were leaving the Spirit to make the long journey home.

My husband and I just booked a Spirit cruise out of Barcelona for early 2017 and your lengthy review has been very helpful in providing information for us. Thank you for that.

I did have a couple of questions if you have time.

You posted copies of a couple of daily events but I did not see any lectures about the ports on any of those. Were there none at all? We are used to other cruise lines where they always have history and/or cultural lectures about the ports we are visiting.

One of our options for the cruise was an Specialty Dining Package. The fine prints say that can only be used in Cagneys and Le Bistro. Are those restaurants only open for dinner or are they open for lunch as well?

Thanks again.

You posted copies of a couple of daily events but I did not see any lectures about the ports on any of those. Were there none at all? We are used to other cruise lines where they always have history and/or cultural lectures about the ports we are visiting.

I wasn't on the look out for lectures and frankly I am not sure there is much time to attend any on this very port intensive cruise. I had done most of my research prior to boarding and had my days planned out. I would not wait till boarding to research these ports as the days are very full

One of our options for the cruise was an Specialty Dining Package. The fine prints say that can only be used in Cagneys and Le Bistro. Are those restaurants only open for dinner or are they open for lunch as well?
Not sure why it would only list those two as you should be able to book at the Italian restaurant as well as the Teppanyaki restaurant on board as well. I personally found the Italian restaurant to be awful and wouldn't bother. The specialty restaurants are only open for dinner. Be sure to book your SDP reservations prior to boarding as they tend to book up at popular times.

Nolatravelgirl,

Thanks for your review, it has helped fill the time until I get to go. Quick question. I know on the ship a power converter will not be necessary but what about stay's in Barcelona and Venice. I am not sure what the best power adapter setup to buy as it sounds like Europe has several different standards. We will also be in England for a short while as well if that makes a difference.

Nolatravelgirl,

Thanks for your review, it has helped fill the time until I get to go. Quick question. I know on the ship a power converter will not be necessary but what about stay's in Barcelona and Venice. I am not sure what the best power adapter setup to buy as it sounds like Europe has several different standards. We will also be in England for a short while as well if that makes a difference.

I would invest in a universal travel adapter as they come with a multitude of plug configurations. Depending on the hotel brand there may be several options available for use. A converter is only necessary for certain items. Most computers can convert power so all you need is an adapter for that. I haven't traveled with a converter in a long time as I just use the in room hair dryer and my flat iron has a converter switch. If I am unsure about power source and whether or not I need a converter I just charge my phone via the USB port on my laptop. This set up may or not work for you.

Nolatravelgirl,

UK is different from rest of Europe.

Considering the spirit similar itinerary for April next year. Happened to find your excellent review. Thanks for sharing x
I did a lot of research on Med cruises and this one really was the a great "Grand" Med cruise as it hit all the major attractions. I will say that it was exhausting and I went in prepared to be tired in the end, but I was glad I did it. The 7 day cruises in the area just aren't extensive enough and are fine if you want to break up the Med into 2 separate cruises. I now feel good that I did so much and now know where I would like to return for longer visits.