space saver bags

moki'smommy

Has anyone used vacuum bags for packing? You know, the kind that you hook to the vacuum cleaner to evacuate the air and save space? Does any brand work better than any other? I'm looking at some on Amazon--not too expensive, so if they aren't amazing, I haven't spent too much. Mostly great reviews on line, but a couple people said they didn't hold the vacuum.

Has anyone used vacuum bags for packing? You know' date=' the kind that you hook to the vacuum cleaner to evacuate the air and save space? Does any brand work better than any other? I'm looking at some on Amazon--not too expensive, so if they aren't amazing, I haven't spent too much. Mostly great reviews on line, but a couple people said they didn't hold the vacuum.[/quote']

I have bought the ones on Amazon that you are doubtlessly looking at. They really do fail after a few uses, and I've only used soft goods like bedding. They will probably hold for one trip. In my experience, the bigger the bag, the sooner they failed.

I've switched to the giant ziplocks. Stuff clothes in, seal most of the way squash, seal. They are not quite as compact as the vacuum ones, but close and way cheaper and more durable.

Agree! We also find the giant ziplocks more convenient! :)

Use those too. Packing cubes for clean laundry, they go on to shelves, dirty into ziplocs which then get pressed to make room for the inevitable stuff acquired on vacation.

Why not use packing cubes? We use ones made by eagle creek and they designed to fit nicely into suitcases.