US citizen booking through UK site

DeBlonde1

Just curious if anyone has done this and had any problems with it? From what I can tell, the end cost is slightly cheaper ($80) on the UK NCL site and they still get the free UBP for a studio cabin through March 2016. That is worth $450 these days. I did some searching on the boards and see they have cancellation fees that we don't.... but other than that - I am wondering what would hold me back from booking on their site? Thanks for any input or advice.

People on the solo mega price thread have been doing it since the UK prices got so much better on some cruises and the Choice options are better.

Use a cruise reward for your deposit to limit the exposure to $150

Might need a call for that

There are penalties deposit up to final, similar final payment time.

Some of the UK specific protections may not apply

The Choice also includes the 18% grats on the UBP so no extra there.

Might have to get up early if you need to phone NCL UK.

NCL UK are not so good at price drops and changes as US.

You also have your card/bank exchange rate fees to factor.

People on the solo mega price thread have been doing it since the UK prices got so much better on some cruises and the Choice options are better.

Use a cruise reward for your deposit to limit the exposure to $150

Might need a call for that

There are penalties deposit up to final, similar final payment time.

Some of the UK specific protections may not apply

The Choice also includes the 18% grats on the UBP so no extra there.

Might have to get up early if you need to phone NCL UK.

NCL UK are not so good at price drops and changes as US.

You also have your card/bank exchange rate fees to factor.

Thanks for all the info! Much appreciated and helpful!

Small points;

1. Pre-purchases will show in GBP in your account (tours and packages)

2. Future cruise are held in the currency you paid for the cruise in, so $250 gets converted into GBP. I think some people have had this successfully reversed.

3. Your $80 saving may be swallowed up by foreign currency charges on your card, depending on issuer.

Small points;

1. Pre-purchases will show in GBP in your account (tours and packages)

2. Future cruise are held in the currency you paid for the cruise in, so $250 gets converted into GBP. I think some people have had this successfully reversed.

3. Your $80 saving may be swallowed up by foreign currency charges on your card, depending on issuer.

Thanks! I looked and my credit card doesn't charge any fees on foreign purchases (just whatever the conversion rate is at the time of the charge). I don't typically book ship tours, so hopefully that will not be an issue.

As far as #2- what does that mean? The next time I try to book a cruise (for example with my PCC), it will default to pounds? Or are you talking if I buy a Cruise Credit on board this cruise?

As far as #2- what does that mean? The next time I try to book a cruise (for example with my PCC), it will default to pounds? Or are you talking if I buy a Cruise Credit on board this cruise?

The Future cruise is issued in the currency you booked, at some Exchage rate that tends to get fixed for periods of time.

This will sit on your latitudes account till you use it( you might be able to get it changed to $).

It will then get converted to the currency of the cruise booking.

Not sure if they always end up back at $250,

The last one I did was converted to € not sure what it started out as either $ or £.

NCL UK does not honour any price drops, the price you book at is the price you pay.

Correct for the UK

Thanks! I looked and my credit card doesn't charge any fees on foreign purchases (just whatever the conversion rate is at the time of the charge). I don't typically book ship tours, so hopefully that will not be an issue.

Look at the rate your card company charge, the charges are built in. Also you will be booking under UK law and if you have problems you will have to deal with the UK law. You will find it far more difficult if something goes wrong.

Edited by bmwman

• 3 weeks later...
NCL UK has personal cruise consultants.

very few agents give much away in the UK.

which cruise and I can have a look at a few and see if there is anything.

there are a couple doing great deals on some Epic dates as NCL offload cabins on the 2 11n med itineraries.

I am going to do the Escape on Feb 20th. Thanks so much! :)

I have just booked 3 back to back NCL cruises, I had them booked thru a USA web site, not NCL site, but was able to book same cruises with UBP included cheaper from an Irish web site, but they use a UK agent so I still paid in GBP. No problem doing this from any country, I am Irish but in the Far east at present, & a friend is joining for the first leg & he just booked via the Irish site & he is living in the Middle east. I do not know if I am allowed post the name of the site. I will say it is a major international travel site, you just need to use .ie instead of .com. BTW the cancellation penalty is only the websites service fee of 49GBP before 90 deadline.