Has anyone been to Palamos, Spain and Portovenere, Italy with Seabourn?

Nigella

We're travelling with older family members for this cruise, one of whom is currently struggling to walk for more than about 20 minutes without a rest.

Portovenere looks like a walkable port, just curious to know the approximate walking time from the tender dock to the main town area.

Alternatively any feedback on the Cinque Terre excursion?

For Palamos, we're not sure whether to just take a look around the town, is it worth a look? Or take the Dali's Castle tour or the Roman ruins.

Comments, tips,advice, welcome as ever. Thanks!

Edited by Nigella

Nigella we visited Palamos on another cruise line three years ago and just walked around the town. It was a Sunday so it was quiet but quaint. They had a fishing museum that sounds a bit "naff" just near the port but we really enjoyed it, just for a wander around. For a small town the museum was very well done, if I knew how to post photos I could show you. If you meet up with nowornever on the cruise, Bonnie has my email and I can send them to you.

We then had lunch at one of the small restaurants near the beach where I had my first taste of razor clams washed down with some sangria.

I think the family member who has struggling to walk could make it to the museum if they take it slowly as it was quite close. Maybe a bit more then 20 minutes if walking slowly but not far.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Julie

Nigella - and we did Portovenere this spring- it is a tender ride in, but then for those who cannot walk too far just to go along the seafront road (I think it was all pedestrianised,but not sure) is pretty, with old houses and some shops and cafes, and places to sit down. It is hilly behind, and some did climb up lots of steps, but we are also not brilliant walkers, and just did the sea side bit. Worth going ashore for, IMO. Can't remember what the excursions were, we rarely do them.

The inside street in Portovenere behind the seaside street is worth a walk for those that can do it. You can leave the non-walkers at a nice café by the sea, and then go up the main inside street. It goes up hill past shops and then opens up on the top of the hill to beautiful views and a small chapel. Be sure and look through the holes in the wall out to the sea on the other side. It is not a long walk but is up hill. It will take about 1/2 hour round trip.

Merril

Lots and lots of walking on Cinque Terre excursion including many stairs.

Thank you for this. I looked at the Seabourn rating for the activity level on this excursion and suspected it won't be suitable, so thanks for confirming.

Julie, very helpful, thanks. I think we'll stay in town for Palamos, my father-in-law will love the fishing museum even if the rest of us don't ;)

Lincslady, thank you for the information on Portovenere. I'm expecting it to be similar to Portofino, hopefully a little less commercial, so I'm happy to spend a couple of hours there. We'll probably do as Merril suggests and explore on our own the hilly bits and meet back at one of the cafes.

Thank you everyone, helpful as ever.

Palamos is world famous (at least in Spain) for their giant gambas rojas/red shrimp, justly so. Do NOT miss! Either as al ajillo or simply grilled and served with som sea salt on the side.. Simply hedonistic, or alternatively: Hedonistically simple!

I agree with the comments about the possibility of walking the area close to the tender's dock and the potential struggles of doing much more exploring on foot.

However, we took a boat excursion [ship program] which boarded quite close to the tender dock and took us in and out of the waters of this beautiful coastline. If that is offered, I would consider it. They leave you in one town for a while and some senior explorers sat on the seaside benches and enjoyed the views. It's a lovely area and whatever you choose to do I am certain that you will enjoy it.