A reminder: Pope Francis's visit to NYC 9/24-26

xrvlcruiser

Pope Francis will be in New York City from September 24-September 26. There will be numerous street closings depending on where he is and lots of traffic.

The Pope leaves from JFK early on the morning of September 26 so although it may affect people arriving to join the Navigator, the passengers departing should be OK.

Here is the web site: http://www.popefrancisvisit.com/schedule-category/pope-francis-visit-new-york-schedule/

Peggy

In addition to the Pope being in town, the U.N. General Assembly is meeting which means dignitaries from around the world will be in the city. As a word of warning, traffic will be a MESS, and that is a huge under statement. Nothing cases havoc in the city as the opening of the U.N. General Assembly - add the visit by the Pope and others, and can you say GRIDLOCK!

Suggestions - if arriving a few days early to enjoy our great city, I strongly recommend using the subway if at all possible - despite what you see in the movies, it is perfectly safe and our former Mayor Bloomberg traveling to work each day on the subway. For security reasons, the NYPD never announce ahead of time what roads may be closed, so don't be surprised if you are walking and all of a sudden hundreds of police motorcycles close a road. Walking is a great way to see the city and if need to travel by car, try to avoid any of the midtown streets.

gnomie :)

I checked CruiseCal and there will be 5 ships in NY during the Pope's visit (and General Assembly). Two ships in the day the Navigator sails (Norwegian Gem and Regal Princess).

Good advice Gnomie! Walking is my preferred mode of transportation in NY.

Peggy

Edited by xrvlcruiser

We stayed at the Waldorf a few years back having no knowledge of the UN General Assembly. We were sailing on Regent and came in two days early. They could not get to the airport to pick us up. There were 12 of us in baggage claim and I was the only one with the phone number to call Regent.

They were 90 minutes late and then the streets around the hotel were closed.

They allowed our van in but no cabs or buses. Then we were subjected to a search. Baggage opened, scanned and sniffed by German Shepherds. Body scanners too.

We were two hours late for our dinner reservation and I fell asleep at the table.

The hotel was quite regal. All the ambassadors and heads of state everywhere in full regalia. But view of the marksmen on the roof of every building around the Waldorf was unsettling. Until I got a glimpse of President Bush (2). A memory worth having. And the big claim to tell is that I slept with the president.

Waldorf: I heard some one on TV this morning way they stayed there on their honeymoon 55 years ago - the cost :$29. Bet it's not that now!

By the way, none of the US delegation nor President Obama will be staying at the Waldorf - now owned by the Chinese - he will be at the New York Plaza - Madison Avenue in the low 50s. Also near St Patrick's Cathedral.

Peggy