Time Constraints - Train Anchorage to Whitter then PWS tour ?

kazda

Hi

Stating to plan for our 28 May 2016 cruise departing from Whittier and have a few questions.

Was planning to book the train from Anchorage @ 9:45 departure which arrives into Whittier 12:05PM.

Then want to do the Major Marine - Prince William Sound Surprise Glazier tour which departs at 12:15PM

If I book the two separately, (rather than as a package with Major Marine) I guess the timeframe will not be in my favour seeing that I will only have 10 minutes to retrieve my luggage from the train, take it over to cruise terminal and then be back for the departure for PWS., and that is if the train is not delayed.

Taking the above timeframes into account, would it be best to book as a package through Major Marine..OR if our luggage has our cruise tags attached will our luggage be transferred to the cruise ship for us regardless of whether we book the train & PWS tour as a package or to book both separately ?

Was planning on booking train and PWS separately as hubby wants to go 'business' class on the train and that option is not available when booking as a train/PWS package with Major Marine.

Any thoughts on time constraints would be appreciated.

Ok think about it. The "package" booking people are going to be on the SAME train. :)

All the bags- no matter HOW you book, IF- they have cruise tags on them, will be directly transferred to the ship- automatically. There is only ONE train. Be certain your tags are properly attached in Anchorage.

When you get off the train- the boarding of Major Marine is right in front of you, to the left of the cruise terminal entrance- right next to Philips' Big- 26 Glaciers sign.

You should be able to pick up your tickets there, rather than in their office- CALL direct and ask in advance.

Edited by Budget Queen

Thanks Budget Queen

Looking at pricing with Major Marine the 'package' is currently a lot cheaper than booking the 2 separately.

IF we only book the train, what are the chances of 2 tickets for the PWS still being available on the day. ?

IF the train running late, I also presume the PWS tour waits for the train to arrive ?

Thanks Budget Queen

Looking at pricing with Major Marine the 'package' is currently a lot cheaper than booking the 2 separately.

IF we only book the train, what are the chances of 2 tickets for the PWS still being available on the day. ?

IF the train running late, I also presume the PWS tour waits for the train to arrive ?

They do wait for the train- IF they offer the combo train transfer option. They won't if they do not. Call them direct and ask them. I've not done their train transfer, but have done their bus transfer- which is a good value, it is, the same viewing as the train.

No, you aren't very likely to get walk up space, with only a 10 minute window. You may get walk up for the Blackstone trip- but that trip also sells out on cruise ship days. Surprise Glacier sells out very frequently anyway.

Thanks again Budget Queen, didn't know about the bus option from Anchorage.

Major Marines website states the bus option allows for 2 small carry-ons, whereas the train states 2 pieces max and as we are travelling from Aust our luggage will be more than 2 small carryons each.

I'll definitely email or give Major Marine a call, now that I have an idea of what we are after.

Thanks again Budget Queen, didn't know about the bus option from Anchorage.

Major Marines website states the bus option allows for 2 small carry-ons, whereas the train states 2 pieces max and as we are travelling from Aust our luggage will be more than 2 small carryons each.

I'll definitely email or give Major Marine a call, now that I have an idea of what we are after.

I take with me, 1 medium rolling bag, that I had transferred. of course I always, tip for the bag storage/transfer. they do not have a lot of space, so, if you are packing with several bags- look at other transfers or take the train. Depending on your schedule- a one way car rental- although costly can pay off many times over in opportunity and saving time. (far more valuable to me, than money)

we just did the surprise glacier/train package deal with major marine in july.

We booked the train and the surprise glacier cruise directly with major marine.

I decided to book the whole thing with them because it's such a tight schedule, i figured they would wait for us if the train was late since we'd booked through them (they would be expecting us).

When we got off the train, we got in line for the cruise (there's a uniline for all the different cruises going out at that time) - they called out if anyone in line was for surprise glacier - when we raised our hands, they pulled us out of line and checked us right in and sent us on the boat, which sailed as soon as we stepped aboard (we were the last ones on).

By the way, if you do take that cruise, be sure to add on the lunch. The food was excellent - prime rib and salmon to die for :)

i should add, we didn't have luggage as we went to whittier just for that surprise glacier cruise. We booked round trip on the train - from anchorage and back.

I should also add that the surprise glacier cruise was really nice. We very much enjoyed the entire day!!!! :) I plan on doing the cruise again, next time we're in alaska!!

Edited by alaska_planner

we just did the surprise glacier/train package deal with major marine in july.

We booked the train and the surprise glacier cruise directly with major marine.

I decided to book the whole thing with them because it's such a tight schedule, i figured they would wait for us if the train was late since we'd booked through them (they would be expecting us).

QUOTE]

Thanks Alaska Planner, Good to know from your experience thatit all works well when booked directly with Major Marine for the combo. We will definitely be booking direct with them.

I have been in email contact with their office and they have advised their package combo deals for 2016 season will open early next year.

Thanks Alaska Planner, Good to know from your experience thatit all works well when booked directly with Major Marine for the combo. We will definitely be booking direct with them.

I have been in email contact with their office and they have advised their package combo deals for 2016 season will open early next year.

if memory serves, i booked with them by phone (because i wanted to ask questions at the same time).

They emailed me the receipt as well as the voucher for the train.

You have to bring the voucher with you to the train station together with IDs for all the passengers.

I have to admit, being the worrier that i am, i was concerned that something would go wrong at the train station.

But it all was as expected.

I handed over the voucher, the train station ticket agent found our names on the list, and she handed over the round trip tickets.

Very easy.

In Whittier, there's no station, just a stop (with a bench) that's right in front of where you board major marine.

again, we really enjoyed the surprise glacier tour!

We had gorgeous weather, so it was absolutely stunning. The entire boat ride.

And the food was delicious. Something we weren't expecting at all.

I added on for the lunch as i figured we'd be very hungry after getting up early and getting on the train around 9 am.

So i added the lunch, never expecting it to be so very delicious!! Well worth whatever it was i paid for it.

Edited by alaska_planner