Norway in Early May...reviews?

jvalentine

I posted this over in the Europe forum too, but thought I would ask here in a different thread. Anyone have experience sailing Norway in early May...can you let me know how it was? (I know early May will be cold, but the scenery is still great, right?)

Thank you!

Jacqquie

Not sure what you consider cold!! We were in Norway the last week in May and very early June. You can count on it being "jacket/long pants" weather. However the temperatures were pleasant in the ports and varied depending on where you went for shore excursions. We had steady rain in Kristiansand and Bergen so it was pretty chilly. Oslo and Stavanger were very pleasant and probably the overall best weather we had. If you are going into Geiranger or Flam it will be cooler than the other ports. If you go on the Flam Railway in Flam, Path of the Trolls in Alesund or Mt. Dalsnibba in Geiranger it will definitely be colder due to the altitude.

The scenery is fantastic regardless of the weather. I can hardly wait to return!

Edited by jd1966

We were in Norway the last week of May this year and the weather was generally great. As has been said be prepared for snow if you go out of Geiranger or Flam up the mountains. From Geiranger we went over the mountains and there was snow on the top and we didn't get to the summer grazing grounds. In Flam we did the railway and there was lots of snow so lovely views. It also was deep at the hotel so that was interesting for those who don't come across snow "at home".

Mike

Pom by Birth; Coin Collecting Retired Kiwi by Choice.