Question about taking toddlers on a cruise

NolaTiem

Hi there! I have a quick couple of questions that I'm hoping some of you more seasoned Carnival cruisers can answer. I've been on one cruise, it was just me and the hubby.

In February, we'll be taking two of our kids...15 yo DS, and 2 yo DS. (Talk about an age gap!)

I was wondering about the check-in/check-out process at Camp Carnival. I have a little Houdini, so I am wondering if they have good "gates" to keep the little ones from taking a self-guided tour throughout the ship. Did you feel the check-in/out process was pretty secure and that the room the little ones are in was sufficient for keeping them wrangled up and safe?

Also, have any of you had an negative experiences with kids getting motion sickness? What is the best method for treating/preventing this? Anything in particular you recommend?

Thanks you all your help!

We just got off the Pride today and have taken our 3 year old on 4 other Carnival Cruises and Camp Carnival is very secure. They have three different locks on the door, not all of them on the inside and there is also a buzzer that sounds when they open the door. Staff is the only one that opens the door. On the 5 ships, I never felt the kids were are risk of getting out.

Also, have any of you had an negative experiences with kids getting motion sickness? What is the best method for treating/preventing this? Anything in particular you recommend?

The only place to get your remedy information from is your health care provider, not an anonymous message board. ;)

The gates are very secure, and are a series of locks, plus a buzzer. No worries on your child escaping. Carnival takes safety very seriously. Even at the end of the week, when they know exactly who you are, you're still required to show your sign n sail card every time.

For motion sickness? My kids haven't really experienced it, except once when there was a bad storm. And he just kept playing right on through it. My oldest child has horrible car sickness. He isn't allowed to do ANYTHING in the van except listen to music - no books/magazine/devices, has to sit in the front of the van, and often we have to roll the window to get him fresh air. I think the wide-open spaces, windows, sea air, and overall distraction (I.e. Having so much fun with his friends) he never notices it.

Edited by ladygal4.4

Hi there! I have a quick couple of questions that I'm hoping some of you more seasoned Carnival cruisers can answer. I've been on one cruise, it was just me and the hubby.

In February, we'll be taking two of our kids...15 yo DS, and 2 yo DS. (Talk about an age gap!)

I was wondering about the check-in/check-out process at Camp Carnival. I have a little Houdini, so I am wondering if they have good "gates" to keep the little ones from taking a self-guided tour throughout the ship. Did you feel the check-in/out process was pretty secure and that the room the little ones are in was sufficient for keeping them wrangled up and safe?

Camp carnival is very secure

we don't drop dd off. But the room is secure. They have cameras and everytime the door is opened an alarm sounds.

Mine hasn't had any motion sickness, but we also don't stay on the bottom of the ship. Idk if that'd make a difference.

Edited by Gardeneroflove

Camp Carnival is extremely secure. No worries at all. We've never had any trouble with our toddler getting motion sick, but one of our older kids does. We use Bonine OTC chewables. (1/2 pill, depending on age/size) We checked with our pediatrician on it, of course.

we don't drop dd off. But the room is secure. They have cameras and everytime the door is opened an alarm sounds.

Mine hasn't had any motion sickness, but we also don't stay on the bottom of the ship. Idk if that'd make a difference.

What does starting at the bottom of the ship have to do with anything?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I echo that the camp gates are very safe. Our kids first cruised when they were 2 and 5. They used to get very carsick and I still have the very rare seasick occurrence. We use the Seabands brand ginger gum. Their pediatrician approved it and it has been very helpful for us. I hate the seasickness meds because they all knock me out and I hate to lose an entire day of our cruise. The gum helps instantly and has no side effects. I usually get mine at CVS. HTH

What does starting at the bottom of the ship have to do with anything?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Neither do I? "Bottom" of the ship is the best place for those with motion sickness.

Camp Carnival / Camp Ocean is very secure. They wouldn't let my Granddaughter (3 yr old) leave with her dad because he didn't have his sail and sign card. I should add that he dropped her off and she is his mini me.

I would like to suggest you avoid any mention of motion sickness. You don't want any self fulfilling prophesies. And while I agree the best advice is talk to your pediatrician Ginger , green apples and sea bands are all options that are safe for kids.

Traveling with kids make for a different trip but it can still make for a wonderful vacation.

For nauseousness green apples, clear soda and ginger help. So do soda or oyster crackers. We bring candied ginger.

But it's so important to go to your doctor to be reassured apples, soda. ginger. sea bands or crackers are okay;) It's not like needing a scopolamine patch for adults.

My advice for seasickness is to get out in the fresh air at the first sign. Don't stay cooped up in the cabin. We have given our DD children's chewable Dramamine, but she was much older than two. She is the only one our children who experiences any seasickness, and that was on a day when the ship was moving much more than normal.

And yes, like everyone has said, Camp Carnival is extremely secure for the ages 2-5 group. No worries. The only thing to keep in mind with a 2-year-old is that he cannot wear swim diapers into the pools and hot tubs.

DS has been going to Camp Carnival since he was 2 (will be 13 in December), very secure and he loved it. They were also CPR trained etc. and very entertaining with each age group.

We always gave our son Bonine chewable as well, recommended by Dr., still do to this day. One chewable before we get on ship just to be sure (he does NOT suffer from motion sickness normally so strictly preventative) and then that is it unless the ocean gets rocky etc. We typically stay on Empress deck level in balcony (middle of ship) because DH suffers from motion sickness (he has patch from Dr.) so that location may help as well.

Thanks for the feedback :) I'll of course ask my own doctor what he recommends, but I was curious on what worked for people who have had toddlers on a cruise.

I don't anticipate it being a problem as none of my kids have had motion sickness, but I want to make sure I am prepared "just in case" so I don't have to go without or pay a ridiculous amount onboard.

My son had a bit of motion sickness on his first cruise. I had everything but all he needed was some hard ginger candy and he was fine.

Camp carnival is secure. I forgot my s&s card on day 7 of an 8 day cruise last month. They knew my face and my name by then and still wouldn't let me sign my daughter out. So don't ever forget your s&s.:) Plus the whole thing is gated and alarmed with monitors all over.