Night before - stay in Galveston or Houston?

mojomanny

I need some advice where to stay the night before our cruise.

We are myself (52) and my dad (90). He will use a wheelchair in the airport etc. and we will arrange for a scooter.

We will be flying in from Boston and arriving before noon. Dad will be tired from being up early and the flight so we are not looking to do anything special when we land.

Option 1: Stay in HOU and take a car to the ship the next morning

Option 2: Take a car to to Galveston and stay overnight there, use a cab in the morning

Do any locals have any thoughts or suggestions which is better?

Any thoughts or suggestions for a good wheelchair friendly hotel?

Any suggestions for a car service?

Thanks in advance!

We frequently cruise from Galveston and always stay there the night before. Houston traffic can be a nightmare even on a Saturday or Sunday. Do you really want to be stressing out over making it to the terminal or relaxing in an interesting town the day of your departure?

Hotels there range from the elegant and historic to new and inexpensive. All should be able to accommodate your father's wheelchair. One of our favorites, The Harbor House, is right there at the port. It is a very short walk to the cruise terminal from the hotel. There are restaurants right there as well so not having a vehicle shouldn't be a problem.

Sorry I can't recommend a car service. Have fun.

We frequently cruise from Galveston and always stay there the night before. Houston traffic can be a nightmare even on a Saturday or Sunday. Do you really want to be stressing out over making it to the terminal or relaxing in an interesting town the day of your departure?

Hotels there range from the elegant and historic to new and inexpensive. All should be able to accommodate your father's wheelchair. One of our favorites, The Harbor House, is right there at the port. It is a very short walk to the cruise terminal from the hotel. There are restaurants right there as well so not having a vehicle shouldn't be a problem.

I like this idea too! :)

DITTO what DreadPirate said!!!

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g55879-Galveston_Galveston_Island_Texas-Hotels.html

Edited by Stevesan

All the same as Harbor House is for Tremont also.

Walkable , as close , downtown by terminals, shopping and restaurants . Owned and operated by same as Harbor House and the Galvez . Galvez on Gulf though not on port. Either is great!

• 2 weeks later...

its very hard to find a decent hotel in Gaveleston night before a cruise, many require a 2 night stay. We always used to stay there but last couple of years we booked hotel by airport, which airport are you flying into, we stayed at Doubletree by Hobby very nice place for about 100 a night.