Visa/Esta

Grand Cru

We are Joining the Azamara Journey on the 3rd January 2016 on the Panama Canal cruise,my question is for any British Cruisers that have done this cruise before,we fly back to Britain out of Miami the day we dock on 13thJanuary do we need to get a visa/esta or are we considered in transit

I'm sure that you will need to get an ESTA as you will enter the USA at the cruise terminal and leave it at the airport. You will go through American immigration at the cruise terminal and are thus entering the USA, even if only briefly. The Americans are very fussy about having the right paperwork!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You definitely need an ESTA. You will not be allowed to board unless you have one and I suggest you take a hard copy.

We once were boarding in Barbados for a cruise to Miami and did not have hard copies although we had ESTAs. We had to re-download them and eventually the cruise company agreed to print them off for us. (ps this was not Azamara but Silverseas). Fortunately there was WIFI in the terminal. It was a real hassle and not the best start to a cruise.

I'm sure that you will need to get an ESTA as you will enter the USA at the cruise terminal and leave it at the airport. You will go through American immigration at the cruise terminal and are thus entering the USA, even if only briefly. The Americans are very fussy about having the right paperwork!

Grandma, it is just us colonies"" kicking up our heels again.

Too true - nearly as bad as throwing tea in the harbour!

I have to say though that I much prefer it this way than carrying that green piece of tear off card around in my passport to hand back when I leave. I've had a good experience with my ESTA when they were more than generous with extending an expiry date after I noticed the previous one had too short a validity. And the last time I arrived in the US I actually had welcome with a smile and joke from the TSA agent!

Phil