PCC or Web Site

mcduck

We too haven't used TA/cruise line booked air in years, maybe 15+ or more. Part of that is that back years ago cruise line air was often more expensive and often at less than optimum times. I understand that has maybe changed for many cruise lines but also in those years Mrs. K and I have established and maintained advanced frequent flyer status on one or two airlines. With that status comes some perks. Not to say it's a bad thing but we kind of get caught in the situation where we not only want to take advantage of the perks, like no luggage fees, but also have to keep up our advanced status by flying enough miles and flights. Pretty much the same situation wth pre and post cruise hotels. We do at least check with whatever cruise line we're booked with just in case. Not often but once in awhile they actually have better deals or hotel rooms blocked in a peak season that are more attractive.

We're close to a United hub, so we're commited to (stuck with?) flying with them. So I have their credit card, and usually fly with them. I can use miles to upgrade, etc. So it's better/easier to do my own air arrangements.

One caveat for people who have the cruise line book air for them, check to see if you can get a direct flight. Some cruise lines and companies that package cruises may offer free/cheap air, but it may include multiple flights and long layovers. I don't know if the large ocean-cruise companies do this much, but there are a few packagers/sellers of European river cruises whose free air arrangements are VERY inconvenient.

We're close to a United hub, so we're commited to (stuck with?) flying with them. So I have their credit card, and usually fly with them. I can use miles to upgrade, etc. So it's better/easier to do my own air arrangements.

For us it's American but same situation.