Ecstasy rides out H. Rita (Pics)

jollyroger1965

To calm the poor Ecstasy down a bit, and because it is a picture of which I am particularly proud, I have posted a photo that I took a year ago this week of the ship lying alongside the pier in Aruba. The shot was taken from a nearby Robinson R44 helicopter and was not cropped at all. I love the reflections in the water, and my portholes are clearly visible ABOVE the waterline.

The pic is found at http://fin.journalspace.com. I hope you will click and enjoy and perhaps even scroll slowly to the bottom of the page, and enjoy some other, non cruise related photos. Cheers.

Geez Chucksta your always got something cool to say about alcohol. You should of been on the Valor with me Aug 7th partying like crazy. Need to hook up with your family and hit up a cruise sometime. :D Maybe we can have a contest see who can run up the biggest tab in 7 days i had a $600 tab :D

Geez Chucksta your always got something cool to say about alcohol. You should of been on the Valor with me Aug 7th partying like crazy. Need to hook up with your family and hit up a cruise sometime. :D Maybe we can have a contest see who can run up the biggest tab in 7 days i had a $600 tab :D

Am I correct in assuming these are from when the ships were sent out from NOLA to be in Mobile until the storm passed?

Thats why I posted earlier that the pics may have been taken from Sensation as both are on Galveston relief duty and they were out at sea as it was probably deemed safer than leaving them tied up at dockside.

Agreed. Hey, nice cruise history!

From Maritime Matters:

The two Carnival vessels leased by FEMA for hurricane housing sailed from New Orleans, Louisiana, this afternoon heading for safety at Mobile, Alabama until Hurricane Rita makes landfall on the Gulf Coast.

[b]Forgot to note:[/b]

[b]Both ships were unable to get into Mobile harbor as planned. High waves prevented local pilots from reaching the ships. One plan was to wait until Sunday, Sep 25. According to Mobile newspaper. :) [/b]

[b]postcarder[/b]

OMG .. awesome photos !!

We were on the Celebration the week after Hurricane Keith went through the Gulf in October 2000. The entire ship smelled like a giant orange because of the cleaner they used to mask the smell since nearly everyone - including the crew - were seasick.

We made the best of it and still had a good time but I will never book during hurricane season again.

How awesome. I pitty the person taking the pictures. They must have been really sick themselves. I begin to wonder how neat it would be to be aboard that ship. What a great memory you would have. Then I think I probably would have been in my cabin on my knees praying to God just to get me home between throwing up and crying.

Anyway great pictures and thank you for sharing them.

I don't know if they were taken just off Mobile Bay, but they left NO and the plan was to tie up in Mobile but the harbor pilots couldn't board the ships because of high seas and they just stayed offshore till they returned to NO.

[url="http://www.al.com/news/mobileregister/index.ssf?/base/news/1127640235114680.xml&coll=3"]http://www.al.com/news/mobileregister/index.ssf?/base/news/1127640235114680.xml&coll=3[/url]

:o Okay, I'm sorry. I do believe, I do believe.

Part of my mental rejection of those pictures (which I believe now, by the way) comes from the many times I've heard that the cruise lines possess state of the art weather tracking systems that keep them from sailing their hugely invested ships into rough seas risking damage or even worse, loss of life. They did have plenty of notice that Rita was coming to call and I would have thought they would have retreated before the seas were that high.

Another part is we've all stood beside these ships and seen how massive they are and then seeing seas this high are hard to grasp.

Also I'm on the Internet or cable news all of the time and I haven't seen these pics anywhere else. I would have thought a FOX/CNN/MSNBC would have shown these pics as they are astonishing.

So, please accept my apology and contact the cable news networks and sell those pics!

Archived