Carnival Spirit - Best things to do in New Calendonia

Lea.B

Hi. Looking for advice re tours in Noumea/New Caledonia. What would you recommend doing or not doing? Would probably prefer booking the tours Carnival Spirit have to offer rather than independently, as don't want any hassles. Looking for something interesting and fun for fit and healthy first time cruisers.

Hi. Looking for advice re tours in Noumea/New Caledonia. What would you recommend doing or not doing? Would probably prefer booking the tours Carnival Spirit have to offer rather than independently, as don't want any hassles. Looking for something interesting and fun for fit and healthy first time cruisers.

Depends what you like. If you want to stick to the ship tours than if you like snorkeling do Amédée Island but remember you can do snorkelling elsewhere where there is not as much available. We loved the Segway tour and would recommend that. Noumea is fairly large and will be the only place to shop, other than markets and on the ship, but it's not that cheap. I suggest doing a tour of the island too. But this is so much cheaper off the ship in the terminal and you don't have to worry about not being back in time. Only takes a few hours. That way you could do perhaps segway and tour, if that's what you like. Mare just beach and snorkelling. Isle of Pines can do a tour (Queen Hortense Cave is lovely) and snorkelling. Lifuo make certain you do the secret grotto but just pay the locals. Long way down and back, can be challenging for some but totally worth it and so cheap to do.

Also keep in mind that the lighthouse at Amadee is currently closed for renovations with no opening date yet set. I double checked this with the people that run the Amadee tour and they gave me the email equivalent of a French shrug indicating that the French Lighthouse Association is in no hurry to do it. So if lighthouses are your thing, you can't go inside.

We previously did the yellow chou chou train, okay for an overview. Also the ride over to Duck Island. It is only so-so, the ride over and back was fun but the coral around the island itself is in a bit of a mess and pretty much destroyed near the beach.

My sister says a trip over to and walking around Lemon Bay is quite nice.

Our upcoming trip in a few weeks, we will be staying on board and enjoying the ship while everyone else is on land.

Hi : I could highly recommend, ImageUploadedByForums1442466499.480970.jpg.bd4908fc8c5c76fe49f09e057de50142.jpg and another that is t on the website but was listed onboard. Something like snorkelling safari ~90$ an adult , a 4hr sea snorkelling tour where they pick the best snorkelling experience on that day to of a few options. On our day the 1st pic wasn't good so they moved which was nice and extended the tour.

Isle of pines : the island discovery is a nice lil tour an hour or so glimps at the island with a local guide. We did turtle bay last time and was disappointed in the quality of snorkelling.

Lifou : def pay the 20$ for the marine pass - the snorkelling is amazing and it sells out quick (see tip below) without the pass you can get access to the area.

If you like snorkelling - pick up a cheap set at Kmart/ big w and take your own : renting/buying on board can be expensive.

Another recommendation is find your room and grab the tour guid book examine and then visit the tour desk within 1-2 hours of getting onboard - there won't be a line cause everyone is at the bar and you can get the tours you want. Has worked the last 2 we have done.

Depends what you like. If you want to stick to the ship tours than if you like snorkeling do Amédée Island but remember you can do snorkelling elsewhere where there is not as much available. We loved the Segway tour and would recommend that. Noumea is fairly large and will be the only place to shop, other than markets and on the ship, but it's not that cheap. I suggest doing a tour of the island too. But this is so much cheaper off the ship in the terminal and you don't have to worry about not being back in time. Only takes a few hours. That way you could do perhaps segway and tour, if that's what you like. Mare just beach and snorkelling. Isle of Pines can do a tour (Queen Hortense Cave is lovely) and snorkelling. Lifuo make certain you do the secret grotto but just pay the locals. Long way down and back, can be challenging for some but totally worth it and so cheap to do.

Snorkelling is on the agenda, but you make sense saying it can be done elsewhere on the islands. Really like the idea of the Segway tour. They are fun wherever you are. The secret grotto sounds amazing. When you say "pay the locals" is that in Aussie dollars?

Also keep in mind that the lighthouse at Amadee is currently closed for renovations with no opening date yet set. I double checked this with the people that run the Amadee tour and they gave me the email equivalent of a French shrug indicating that the French Lighthouse Association is in no hurry to do it. So if lighthouses are your thing, you can't go inside.

We previously did the yellow chou chou train, okay for an overview. Also the ride over to Duck Island. It is only so-so, the ride over and back was fun but the coral around the island itself is in a bit of a mess and pretty much destroyed near the beach.

My sister says a trip over to and walking around Lemon Bay is quite nice.

Our upcoming trip in a few weeks, we will be staying on board and enjoying the ship while everyone else is on land.

Thank you. So many things to choose and nowhere near enough time. I didn't know about the lighthouse at Amedee being closed, so that's good to know.

Have been on spirit twice in 12mth - happy to answer any questions you have Lea

We found lots of info here - but sometimes specific questions remained unanswered

Thanks for the offer. I will get back to you. I have loads of questions, sorry.

The reason for preferring to book through the cruise company is because I have heard stories of people being left stranded by tour guides who never returned to pick them up and get them back to the ship. One story I heard was about a tour guide/driver on seeing local police, stopped the vehicle in the street and ran off. Certainly funny stories to tell afterwards but a bit stressful at the time.

The reason for preferring to book through the cruise company is because I have heard stories of people being left stranded by tour guides who never returned to pick them up and get them back to the ship. One story I heard was about a tour guide/driver on seeing local police, stopped the vehicle in the street and ran off. Certainly funny stories to tell afterwards but a bit stressful at the time.

Good plan

We have always booked thru carnival for that very reason - a few extra $ but peace of mind

Snorkelling is on the agenda, but you make sense saying it can be done elsewhere on the islands. Really like the idea of the Segway tour. They are fun wherever you are. The secret grotto sounds amazing. When you say "pay the locals" is that in Aussie dollars?

The grotto is a short walk up the road where you come to a church on the left. Just beyond that, about 40 metres (from memory) on the same side, there was a a rough sign re the grotto and you pay a local who will be nearby. The grotto is a short distance away but if you have mobility issues it could be a very difficult walk as it involves following a rough, rocky downward steep track. I'd recommend it. Many, many tourists go right by and not even realise it's there.