Docking in Brooklyn

Ab Ovo

Let's make the best of it, this 2006 docking in Brooklyn, and hope both Queens will return to the foot of West 50th Street once those piers are brought up to speed, say in 2008? (Brooklyn, Schmooklyn, I'd exchange going there easily if the QE2 had more calls in NYC in future.)

Meanwhile, have a look at another site and read of Red Hook, see pictures, and have good thoughts for the best:

http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3038

Hey....it beats having to go into New Jersey! ;)

Ab Ovo,

Sorry to disagree but Carnival is not going to spend the big bucks to build a new facility just to move back to Manhattan in 2008.

There is nothing that will replace sailing from Manhattan and past the Statue of Liberty and all the history that has been built in the last 100 years or so.

Live with it we will but, it does not mean that we will like it as much as Manhattan. I will agree that it has to be better than Bayonne (been there and did not like it too much).

Ed

Ed,

I tend to agree with you - I think there are two issues with the West Side piers as far as the QM2 is concerned - one is the primitive shoreside facilities - which I believe they plan to upgrade, the second is the length of the piers - which afaik there is no plan to change. Although no one says anything officially I do wonder what impact having her stern sticking out into the Hudson has on the ship - surely not as good as having a pier as long as the ship.....when the NORMANDIE and QUEEN MARY were introduced, the piers were lengthened to accommodate them - afaik, no plan to do this for QM2 And this article

http://www.brooklynpapers.com/html/issues/_vol28/28_38/28_38nets5.html

suggests that if anything the plans are to increase capacity in Brooklyn. Brutally, I suspect the West side real estate can get greater return from something other than cruise ships and A liner.

Peter

Although no one says anything officially I do wonder what impact having her stern sticking out into the Hudson has on the ship - surely not as good as having a pier as long as the ship.....when the NORMANDIE and QUEEN MARY were introduced, the piers were lengthened to accommodate them - afaik, no plan to do this for QM2

I seem to recall someone mentioning that one of those finger piers will be extended just for QM2. Not sure when that was posted here, but it was definetely brought up.

Vic and all.....yes, I thought I read it somewhere..... the city was spending the money to build the new Brooklyn facility and was lucky to have Carnival sign on for exclusive use. Then the West Side Piers would be done over, and lengthened to take on the Queen Mary 2. Or maybe it was bad gin.....whatever, no dis to New Jersey, I don't want to go across any river to board a ship, spoiled by walking to 50th Street. (I mean, NJ also has you, Princeton, and, until recently (?), The Pageant!)

I'd think the city would want to, need to, spiff up the facility.....how could any "authority" not want to have the largest passenger ship leave from midtown Manhattan? It is the arrival/departure of romance and history. :)

I plucked this from the Maritime Matters website:

ORIANA To Brooklyn

September 23: The Red Hook cruise ship terminal, Brooklyn, New York, (which will not be completed for months), will be host to a visit from P&O Line's ORIANA at 7AM tomorrow. Pier 12 off Pioneer Street, Brooklyn rather than the mid-town cruise ship terminal on Manhattans West side was a surprise choice to many. ORIANA, arriving from Southampton, will be met by Mayor Michael Bloomberg and Borough President Marty Markowitz for welcoming remarks to specially invited guests likely intended as a public relations boost for the efforts to build a $45 million cruise ship terminal at Pier 12. If built, the terminal is expected to see Carnival Corportation ships and Norwegian Cruise Line vessels next Spring. Last year, New York City's over-booked piers lost Royal Caribbean Line to Bayonne, New Jersey.

"If Built..". I thought the new piers in Brooklyn was a done deal?

Cruiserking

Archived