12 Night Fjords & Iceland trip

cbradley1209

In 2004 we did a transatlantic cruise and were suppose to stop in Iceland, but the captain said that the weather there would not let us do a tender so he change the trip to Vigo Spain.. I had my heart set on visiting Iceland. In 2007 I had some time and asked my wife if she wanted to go to Iceland. She said no so I booked a flight and a hotel went and the following is a report of that trip.

Just posting for information.

ICELAND JUNE 19-26 2007

Tuesday June 19 I arrive at the Hotel Holt at about 11:50 PM on June 19 or maybe the early hours of June 20, The Hotel Holt is situated in the heart of Iceland's capital on a quiet street of Reykjavik. The hotel is designed with traditional Icelandic art, representing the largest collection of privately owned art in Iceland. It is 45 km from International Airport to Reykjavik. The Room rate was $288/nt with breakfast

June 20 Wednesday Walk around and visited the Lutheran Cathedral. Built 1945-1976.Saw a day care center. Went to the bus terminal where all tours start.

OFF/ON BUS tour and visited The Pearl landmark.

June 21—Thursday GOLDEN CIRCLE TOUR Bus tour north of Reykjavik to see many steam vents, and some mud pits. Saw volcanic crator 3000 years old. Gulfoss/– Saw Langjokull Glacier.that feeds Gulfoss falls.

Geysir Express, Visited PINGVELLIR NATIONAL PARK-This is the site of the oldest Existing Parliament in the World. This is where the Giant Atlantic Rift is where North American Continent and the Continent of Europe are separated. The Alpingi (parliament) was founded around 930 AD.

June 22 Friday Greenland Day tour $650 Horses North Tour- Kulusuk, Greenland.in the district of Angmagssalik. We visited the village with a general store. Flew out of the Reyjkavik Domestic Airport.

June 23—Saturday BLUE LAGOON VISIT and then walked around town and had lunch.

June 24- Sunday TOUR THE WONDERS OF SNAEFELLSJOKULL (peninsula) up north west coast of Iceland, through Borgarnes to Arnarstapi, Hellnar, and Olafsvik.

June 25 Monday The Hop on and off bus was a two day ticket so I used the second day today to ride around. Ate whale steak once. Drank Black Death drink. Tried the putrefied shark which had the consistency of cheese, but had a foul odor after you swallowed it. Did a Whale watching tour which was not that good.

June 26 Tuesday fly back home.

Iceland also has whaling, if that affects where you travel.

but it is not the same as what they do to the whales in the Faroe Islands!! Their "tradition" is barbaric...I won't describe it here because it is horrific but you can google it and see pics and read about it if you are interested. LuAnn