12 Night Fjords & Iceland trip

cbradley1209

Hello,

I have booked this trip already, but now I am having second thoughts. This is the first leg of a B2B surprise for my husband. The second leg is the British Open.

The reason I am rethinking this is because of the number of days at sea on the Fjords portion. Does anyone have any opinions about doing this cruise with 5 days at sea?

Thanks-chris

In my view, these five days are the most magical part of the trip - you are not at sea as such though you have no ports of call. You are cruising in beautiful inlets, often close to land and beside remote glaciers. Your attention will often be drawn to sites on land/wildlife by the captain over the PA. So its not really blank ocean time for 5 days far from it!

If I'm right I think this heads to Iceland and back via the Faroes with a couple of stops in Norway on the way up. Personally this isn't such an attractive itinerary as the pure Norwegian Fjords because you spend a few days out in the open sea. If you want to see the beauty of Iceland though you have to do that. Just not so appealing to me.

Phil

you just got the thoughts of two people from the UK. i am an American who did this cruise in 2014. in this case I agee more with Phil. i was bored silly. i do not play bridge or bingo or enjoy the lectures. .if I did i would want them later in the day as if no tours i am sleeping in.. the Norway ports were great-warm and sunny and in both cases walked around a great place for dinner on the overnight vs going to the ship's concert. and saw thing and shopped.. Iceland was freezing cold and windy.. i did the Blue lagoon-expensive but fun. .went out to dinner vs ship's concert on land. no Faroes that was on another trip and i think that port we missed due to weather. what inlets etc- i only saw open sea for days and days. I had motion sickness too so could not go forward on ship. I did this was another cold weather cruise. i liked Iceland but not enough to do a B2B with all those cold weather sea days. fly tp iceland instead and get a mini land tour.

We excitedly booked this trip for July 2017. It looks like a great itinerary, but this thread is a downer. Maybe we'll do the Meditterranean AGAiN.... :(

Michael

Yes, that's the cruise we are on. I'm not going to cancel quite yet. I'm going to wait for more feedback and do some more research.

chris

I have looked up the Iceland itinerary and it really doesn't sound very interesting - many sea days and not much time in Iceland either . Holland America for example has much better cruises to Iceland!

So perhaps it might be an idea to switch the B2B on the "Jouirney" - i.e. have a cruise to the Baltics following the one around the British Isles you have already booked? This cruise through the Baltic seas might offer great views as well as insights into some of the most beautiful cities in Northern Europe: Copenhagen, Stockholm and 3 days (!) in St. Petersburg. If I had the opportunity that would be a perfect month of cruising. But that's just my opinion, of course.

Whatever you decide: Have a great time in Europe!

The main reason i did this cruise as it was a B2B with the UK cruise.. it helped with packing.. I just found it to many sea days with nothing for me to do compared to when i can be on the track or reading outdoors. was it pretty yes and was my local dinner great- yes.. but not enough time there and the North Sea is rough. . adding the Baltics is nice idea also.

There's an overnight stay in Reykjavik and a visit to Akureyi on this voyage. My desire to visit Iceland aside, I've shared your comments with Michael, our Director of Itinerary Planning.

What is he going to do? Move Iceland closer to Europe so that there are less sea days? ;)

I made this trip 3 years ago - it's an amazing itinerary. Go for it!

There's an overnight stay in Reykjavik and a visit to Akureyi on this voyage.

My desire to visit Iceland aside, I've shared your comments with Michael, our Director of Itinerary Planning.

I agree Bonnie, Iceland was a high spot on our cruise a fascinating country, unique scenery with lovely people. Please itinerary planners keep it on the agenda, don't give us just warm smooth sailings! We can pack jackets :)

I agree Bonnie, Iceland was a high spot on our cruise a fascinating country, unique scenery with lovely people. Please itinerary planners keep it on the agenda, don't give us just warm smooth sailings! We can pack jackets :)

Did you do this itinerary? I want to go to Iceland, see the passage ways, etc. Is it a cruise through passageways or 5 days on open sea? I don't want him to end up bored.

am feeling a bit more of the usual responsibility in the planning since it is a surprise for my husband. Thanks-chris

Edited by cbradley1209

Did you do this itinerary? I want to go to Iceland, see the passage ways, etc. Is it a cruise through passageways or 5 days on open sea? I don't want him to end up bored.

am feeling a bit more of the usual responsibility in the planning since it is a surprise for my husband. Thanks-chris

We did a slightly different itinerary. I have looked at yours, yes you would have a little more time in the open sea - I think only you can decide if this itinerary is for you. We had smooth seas and amazing weather at the same time of year as you will be going.

As regards being bored, Azamara have very good naturalists and destination speakers (destination speakers not cruise excursion sales people) so your husband might enjoy that. It is also a lovely ship to just sit and read if that interests him, the coffee shop is a great place to be

I have just noticed, you are coming on Journey as we come off if you keep this trip. We will look after her :)

I was there in 2014 along with the Best of the UK.. it was all open sea once we left each port area.. i am not a guest lecture type-i enjoyed my books and the spa. .but even that gets old.I wish we had two overnights in iceland. .I needed more time in both ports. i had to make choices in one port and the other did the Blue lagoon, dinner out and the next day hiked up to church. Then lunch and shopping. had to be back around 4 pm. .might be an overnight but needs more time in each port.

I was there in 2014 along with the Best of the UK.. it was all open sea once we left each port area.. i am not a guest lecture type-i enjoyed my books and the spa. .but even that gets old.I wish we had two overnights in iceland. .I needed more time in both ports. i had to make choices in one port and the other did the Blue lagoon, dinner out and the next day hiked up to church. Then lunch and shopping. had to be back around 4 pm. .might be an overnight but needs more time in each port.

Robin,

Was your itinerary the same as proposed in July 2017?

Thanks-chris

Here is a direct communication from Michael Pawlus our Director of Itinerary Planning.

- The highlight of this voyage are the two ports in Iceland. Akureyi and Reykjavik are wonderful places and the overnight in Reykjavik will be wonderful.

I am going to take a deeper look at this cruise and see if I can improve it and get rid of a few of the sea days.

Thanks Mike.

Azamara Club Cruises

Here is a direct communication from Michael Pawlus our Director of Itinerary Planning.

- The highlight of this voyage are the two ports in Iceland. Akureyi and Reykjavik are wonderful places and the overnight in Reykjavik will be wonderful.

I am going to take a deeper look at this cruise and see if I can improve it and get rid of a few of the sea days.

Thanks Mike.

Azamara Club Cruises

Thanks, Mike. I appreciate you looking into it as I really want to do this b2b.

As a first time Azamara cruiser, I'm impressed with the responsiveness.

chris

Robin,

Thanks-chris

i tried to find it last night and 2016 showed up. it was a B2B and the motion of the sea got me. always dies -others were fine. .plus B2B of all cold weather.. i am doing Norway that summer and debated that cruise but felt to many sea days and been there. but i loved iceland. and i always want to step on Norway.. if i can find the info now i will - but having laser done today in right eye so might be hours to i can type.

cold weather cruises i can live with but not two in a row anymore. want my beach time

Robin,

Thanks-chris

almost -we had two Norway ports- one each way. the 2 English ports one i have been to on the Best of UK and other due to weather we never made it. seas to rough The problem to me is you need more time in Iceland in both ports. landscape is lovely.. Since I get off the ship that day i as thinking about adding on for my bday and i could not handle not one new port or at least one i want to see again.. somehow i thunk 2016 is better ports.

Okay, now I'm freaked out: I was doing my extra research because of the responses on my opening question and went to check the itinerary. No itinerary is there for June/July 2017, including my British Open cruise.

Is that likely due to Azamara rechecking the itineraries or something else?

an IT glitch?

chris

Okay, now I'm freaked out: I was doing my extra research because of the responses on my opening question and went to check the itinerary. No itinerary is there for June/July 2017, including my British Open cruise.

Is that likely due to Azamara rechecking the itineraries or something else?

an IT glitch?

chris

I think I've answered my own question. I forgot they told us that some things might be unavailable until tomorrow because of the ship refit.

Sorry-chris

I think I've answered my own question. I forgot they told us that some things might be unavailable until tomorrow because of the ship refit.

Sorry-chris

No apologies necessary. It is freaking all of us out to not find a voyage on the website. This "redeployment" process takes awhile as our inventory control people must take each voyage offline one by one to add new cabins, and then move on to the next one. It will be over as soon as humanly possible.

The situation with whaling in the Faroes also puts me off.

Phil

this summer on Celebrity...2 ports in Iceland, the Faroe Islands and then 4 ports in Norway. It was a great trip...seas were fine..but cold and rain and overcast in 3 or the 4 ports in Norway...this was beginning of July...and of course weather and seas are the luck of the draw. While we really enjoyed the cruise...I would not have booked it if I knew about the whale situation...and I would never return to the Faroes now that I am aware of what takes place...just my POV as an animal lover/activist!! LuAnn