Cabin pricing question - hope it's not confusing

Cruzin-K

Couldn't quite figure out the bests title for this thread, but...

Let's say a cabin costs $500 each ($400 plus $100 in port charges), so $1000 for the whole cabin for two.

If I book a cabin as a solo, let's say for $900 ($400 x 2, plus one set of port charges), what happens if I add a second person to the cabin a year later, if the price of a new booking for that cabin is now $1200 total ($500 fare plus $100 port charges each). Would we each get charged $600, or would we keep the $500 each which was the price pp when originally booked for one person?

OK, now the reverse. If two people book a cabin for $1000, and later one person decides to not go, would the remaining person just pay the original fare of $900 for a solo, or would he/she have to pay $1100 which is the solo cabin price when the second person cancels???

I'm trying to figure out if I'm better off booking a solo cabin for a cruise pretty far off, hoping that someone else will join me, or if I should book the cabin for two people and then if she can't make it, just change to a solo. If it's going to be repriced no matter what, I need to do the math and figure out which is better for me.

In the first scenario, the person you add would be charged the current price, and the first person would keep the old price.

I'm not sure about the second scenario. A friend of mine had that exact situation, and they wanted to charge him the current solo price when he removed the second person. The travel agent got involved and escalated it, and they finally removed the second person and gave him a refund of the taxes for the second person. So, I'm not sure what would happen.

Edited by clarea

In the first scenario, the person you add would be charged the current price, and the first person would keep the old price.

I'm not sure about the second scenario. A friend of mine had that exact situation, and they wanted to charge him the current solo price when he removed the second person. The travel agent got involved and escalated it, and they finally removed the second person and gave him a refund of the taxes for the second person. So, I'm not sure what would happen.

Thank you, Bob :)

I'd like to book a 2018 cruise in the spring of 2016, but the person who might be able to go with me won't know for at least another year or more.

It's so hard to know what to do when my crystal ball is broken :p

If prices stay the same or go down, none of this is even an issue, but if prices go up a lot, then it could be a problem. For 2016 and 2017, the prices only increased on the cruise I'm looking at

Thank you, Bob :)

I'd like to book a 2018 cruise in the spring of 2016, but the person who might be able to go with me won't know for at least another year or more.

It's so hard to know what to do when my crystal ball is broken :p

If prices stay the same or go down, none of this is even an issue, but if prices go up a lot, then it could be a problem. For 2016 and 2017, the prices only increased on the cruise I'm looking at

I would book the two people to freeze the price for the second person. Then you can substitute anyone for that person without a price change. If you end up going solo, you can just do nothing and let them be a no-show. The potential downside of this way is that you might not get your extra points for being solo.

What happens if you book three people in a room, but the third finds out they can't go before the final payment date? Can you cancel the third person without penalty to the other two's fare?

Yes, I believe the rules are not as strict for cancelling the 3rd peron.

I would book the two people to freeze the price for the second person. Then you can substitute anyone for that person without a price change. If you end up going solo, you can just do nothing and let them be a no-show. The potential downside of this way is that you might not get your extra points for being solo.

And I'm all about the points :D

I'm thinking of booking as a solo in a balcony, and if my friend can go, we might be able to get a GS with me paying less than I would have paid for the solo balcony. It will make me feel like it's a bargain at any rate :o :p