Leaving minor kids at home while you cruise? make a temp power of attorney

snorkelman

As an attorney I threw this Temporary Power of Attorney together pretty quickly. It gives me piece of mind while I cruise and leave my kids back home with grandma.

I have highlighted the language that needs to be modified, but it should only take 5 minutes and then you can save it and use it for all future cruises, just changing the dates.

With over 40 cruises, we have cruised bringing our kids and also leaving them at home. I figured that I would share this template document with anyone who may find it interesting. I make no promise that this will be valid in your specific state. I chose to make a space for 2 witnesses, but one may be sufficient in your state.

SAMPLE TEMPORARY POWER OF ATTORNEY-1.docx

Edited by snorkelman

As an attorney I threw this Temporary Power of Attorney together pretty quickly. It gives me piece of mind while I cruise and leave my kids back home with grandma.

I have highlighted the language that needs to be modified, but it should only take 5 minutes and then you can save it and use it for all future cruises, just changing the dates.

With over 40 cruises, we have cruised bringing our kids and also leaving them at home. I figured that I would share this template document with anyone who may find it interesting. I make no promise that this will be valid in your specific state. I chose to make a space for 2 witnesses, but one may be sufficient in your state.

Thanks!! I didn't even think about that. We have gone on several short land vacations and have always left the kids with my parents. Thankfully nothing has ever happened - but this is really a good idea.

I have never had a problem, but I have heard about people bringing kids to get medical care and having big problems because they were not the parent. I am sure that there would still be other issue such as insurance, but this POA is intended to relieve my stress when I leave my kids behind and hopefully smooths any problems my mother may have if an emergency comes up. I suspect if the kid breaks a bone or has another emergency scenario, many medical professionals would provide care, but I know that some will not.

As an attorney with assets and children you should already have a will/POA and an add on that describes what happens to children in the event both parents have a problem.:rolleyes:

Do you advise clients in this area very often?

Edited by setsail

This is a good reminder. And we do have the complete will/poa in place.

First, the need may not be the same as temporary. For example, of left with a friend rather than someone on the will/poa.

Second, nice to have a single doc instead of a book. Also, the POA in the will might take some action or judgement to go into effect.

Thank you for sharing..

We have custody of two grandkids and always bring our docs with us..

Only once did somebody ask for them... but never know.

Even when we put the kids in my DS (not their dad) room he had to be with us to take them off the ship for excursions..

As an attorney with assets and children you should already have a will/POA and an add on that describes what happens to children in the event both parents have a problem.:rolleyes:

Very helpful...

nope. never. not my area of expertise. Yours?

I just am sharing what I personally use. If anyone is board certified in this area and sees anything that can improve what I am using, I welcome your input.

As for SSN, each state is going to be different. I shred the documents when I return so I don't have a problem including the SSN while I am gone. I feel it makes it as clear as possible the identify of the person.

I AM NOT A LAWYER!

The authorization letter we use is similar but not as much "legalese". And it seems the above is limited to authorizing medical and surgical services. Our's is broader, including authorization to get them from school, but more limited in that it allows medical decision-making ONLY in emergencies and when we can't be reached. I tease my mom that she cannot take my daughter to get liposuction.

CHILD CARE AUTHORIZATION

_DAD_ and _MOM_, the parents of the below named minors, and legally entitled to give this authorization, grant _CAREGIVER_ temporary authority, limited to the below defined powers, over the following children:

_CHILD1_

_CHILD2_

The powers granted to _CAREGIVER_ are limited to the following:

- To seek medical care for the children, including, but not limited to, visits to the doctor and/or hospital.

- To authorize medical treatment or medical procedures in the event of an emergency situation when the parents cannot be reached.

- To provide food and shelter for the above named children, and to make decisions regarding their day-to-day activities.

- To transport the children in the caregiver's car, including authorization to pick the children up from school.

- To sign permission slips for field trips or other forms that are due before the end of this authority.

This grant of authority is effective as of MM/DD/YYYY and shall remain in effect until MM/DD/YYYY.

This grant of authority is signed this _____ day of _MONTH_, _YEAR_, in the County of _COUNTY_, State of _STATE_.

_MOM SIGNATURE_

_DAD SIGNATURE_

_NOTARY INFO_

You will want to check with your health care provider as many of them will only accept their forms.

^^ sounds like that may be applicable to non-emergency stuff. I am confident that if my mother walked into the ER or the Walk-in Clinic with the notarized form I use, that she will be able to get emergency care.

cyntil8ing, thanks for sharing. Some of that is nonsense, but I find some interesting and may incorporate into mine. Personally I think the part about providing food and shelter and making decisions regarding their day-to-day activities is fluff and unnecessary. The stuff about transportation may be helpful in some scenarios (not mine) such as if the kid normally rides the bus or in tandum with the caregiver picking the kid up from school.

Signing permission slips for field trips? Maybe some kids get such slips with little or no notice, but unless you are leaving the country for weeks on end, I can't imagine that ever being applicable.

We have cruised for 15 years now and having raised five kids sometimes leaving them behind was a sane option ;) they are older now. When they are left behind we have notarized letters with all doctor, insurance, phone numbers etc typed up. Schools and Pediatrician given copies as well as caregivers. Never had had a problem!! Now the baby age 11 stays with her old siblings. Great idea!!! I may use it when we cruise alone on Oasis next month :) thanks!!!