Owen Wilson in P&O Australia campaign

The product becomes more obvious as you watch the others. It is like a mini series, more being revealed each episode. Which is why I watched all of them , can't make a judgement without all the facts. I'm presuming there are more to follow the first three as well.

While they aren't my sort of ad (no ads are ) , they make more sense after the first one.

People these days have the attention span of 20 seconds. If you dont get the message across in that time you lose them.

Eg. How long do you give a slow loading website before you give up and click back?

I don't know how old other people are commenting on this thread but I'm in my late 50's and know that P&O are not directing this series of advertisements at me because I'm too old. Also P&O know that the cashed up baby boomers who used to cruise with them have moved on to greener pastures.

These advertisements are directed towards people in their 20's and 30's in my opinion and you would find too that teenagers would be influenced by the choice of Owen Wilson. I have read that children have a big say in where the family chooses to spend their holidays.

Regards Elaine.

+1!!

I am 70 next year - but I am "amused" slightly by the Owen Wilson ads :) -- as is my wife! . I can see who they are aimed at - and can understand why P&O is doing this. There is a LOT of competition for the cruising dollar in Australia right now - and P&O needs to lift themselves out of the old folks home that both P&O and Princess have become!!!

Barry

The product becomes more obvious as you watch the others. It is like a mini series, more being revealed each episode. Which is why I watched all of them , can't make a judgement without all the facts. I'm presuming there are more to follow the first three as well.

While they aren't my sort of ad (no ads are ) , they make more sense after the first one.

Helen, apparently they built exact replicas of the areas of the ships in the studios...... I believe that the commercials that will be on tv will be an abridge version of all 3 videos...

That's interesting about the abridged versions being on TV Jo. They will make little sense if they shorten them.

I'm looking forward to sailing on Eden's first trip but thinking things may be a bit disorganised for the crew after the handover. Oh well , pretty sure I can manage a massage to keep me happy and relaxed :)

Just watched the ads, boring. Obviously aimed at people who haven't been on P&O, seems to suggest it is just for guys and a bevy of pretty girls will "look after" them. Having recently been on Pacific Jewel (June Freo to Singapore) a lot would have to change with P&O before I would go again. Service was poor, food very ordinary, pay for everything extra, having to book each night for dinner despite being advertised as "anytime". Didn't speak to anyone on board who would go again. So unless Aria and Eden are run differently expect more of the same. The only cruise I have been on when I was looking forward to getting off, usually the reverse. We had a mini suite which was the best cabin we have ever had, but the ship definitely the worst. Cabin was right under the pool deck, with lots of chair noise, running feet and constant loud music made being on the balcony very noisy. Note mini suites on Eden and Aria are in the same place, but they do have a Crows Nest type lounge up front which I like.

I like Owen Wilson & most of his movies, so enjoyed his acting style in these videos.

I watched them all & found them to be quite nicely done, & part of the popular TV adverts in series that happen quite a lot nowadays.

It seems to me they are aiming at a slightly more sophisticated crowd with these adverts, maybe trying to break away from being know for the boozy 20 something crowd & lots of families with kids?

Problem for them is other lines like Celebrity have already secured a good hold on that market.

I certainly don't feel persuaded by the adverts to jump ship to cruise P&O unless they offered some amazing itinerary I couldn't get elsewhere.

I think the future for cruise promotion in Australia especially for repeat cruisers will end up being itinerary based - that is what could make a big point of difference between them if one set out to offer more unique ports.

I like Owen Wilson & most of his movies, so enjoyed his acting style in these videos.

I watched them all & found them to be quite nicely done, & part of the popular TV adverts in series that happen quite a lot nowadays.

It seems to me they are aiming at a slightly more sophisticated crowd with these adverts, maybe trying to break away from being know for the boozy 20 something crowd & lots of families with kids?

Problem for them is other lines like Celebrity have already secured a good hold on that market.

I certainly don't feel persuaded by the adverts to jump ship to cruise P&O unless they offered some amazing itinerary I couldn't get elsewhere.

I think the future for cruise promotion in Australia especially for repeat cruisers will end up being itinerary based - that is what could make a big point of difference between them if one set out to offer more unique ports.

I agree with you as well :) I think it's smart what they are actually doing here, if you didn't like these ads P&O are getting exactly what they wanted (you aren't their target market). Carnival Australia has other brands that families and elderly will flock too so they aren't afraid to alienate them.

If you're 50 or above or a family every other cruise line out there caters to you, P&O are carving out their own slice of the market and probably one that hasn't been tapped into yet, the young, successful executive audience that need an "escape" by the looks of it. You're better to please the minority a lot, than to please the majority a little as a business.

They probably need to upgrade their product a fair bit to suit that market they're targeting (Pacific Eden+Aria hasn't been launched yet so maybe those wheels are in motion), but if they pull it off it's a brazen move that might pay dividends for them!

I think they realised where the money is and where there is a massive gap in the market that hasn't been tapped into, instead of chasing older repeat passengers that traditionally most just chase bargains.:rolleyes:

Edited by cruisin-m