Cruising with exchange student

denrusk

We have an exchange student from Finland and he will be going with us on the Dream during spring break in March. He is a minor, 17. Has anyone traveled with an exchange student and what documents did you need? I know some of you will say check with Carnival, and I will. I just want to be sure, we have all been given different answers by them before and I don't want to miss anything. Thanks for your help!

I've taken our students on multiple cruises in past years. Taking our newest on a cruise in December. Had only ever needed the J-1 visa paper and their passport.

But, for the 1st time, my exchange company, EF, is saying they must have her J-1 'reissued' showing the date of reentry. I'm to send the J-1 paper to Boston and then they send it back after they change the date. Not sure why this year is any different. They want 60 days before travel but I've been told they can rush it in 3 weeks. Check with your exchange organization to see if they need to see his J-1 before you go.

I had problems cruising with my very 1st student. Didn't know to bring the paper J-1 form with us. It was very scary. Boy- do they take that stuff seriously! The student only needs their passport to get ON the ship- it was getting her back into the USA that was a problem.

They may be asked to appear at 6:30AM the morning of debarkation so Customs can see their paperwork. Not sure why it is not on every cruise- just some of them. I think it depends on the countries visited or port of reentry?

You might ask the natural parents for a notarized letter saying you have permission to take them out of the country and make medical decisions for them. Carnival has never asked to SEE the letter- but twice have asked me if I HAD a letter.

You will get automatic emails from Carnival stating he will need an ESTA visa to board. In my research I have found that they need an ESTA only if they do not have another type of Visa- like the J-1 with multiple entries. Emails are generated when you put his passport info in. Carnival will know nothing about the J-1 student visa. Their line is 'contact the consulate'-? Doesn't apply for exchange students. They are talking about foreign nationals wanting to go on a vacation from the US.